Author Topic: john & nicolas talking in the cafeteria  (Read 3303 times)

howstrange

• Tier 1
john & nicolas talking in the cafeteria
« on: January 12, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »
Just finished playing To The Moon, fantastic game thank you. There were a couple bits in the plot i felt were a bit unclear though. This section particularly, when John & Nicolas are talking about River at school during lunch.:

John: "Look Nick, the point is i know what i need... and she's the one that has it"

Nicolas: "so you want her for what she has but not for her? That's cold man. I just hope you know what you're doing"

"I Do"

"I think you're wrong, though. People aren't that typical. Everyone's unique in some way."

---

Dr watts: "Wait, so this guy's some kind of human-hogging hipster?"

The rest of the game i was just to look out for this thing that River has that John thinks he needs - a thing that he's using her for.

I guess what is really going here, is that John thinks she's a bit quirky and different and likes her for that reason. So when later on in life, he explains that he approached her for this reason - and not because he remembered her from the carnival - River is disappointed. Am I right there? It just seems in the dialog above they are expressly talking about a thing that River has and that John needs. What does John need and why does he need it?

howstrange

• Tier 1
Re: john & nicolas talking in the cafeteria
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »
Also whats meant by "human hogging hipster"??

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 07:03:14 PM »
So when later on in life, he explains that he approached her for this reason - and not because he remembered her from the carnival - River is disappointed. Am I right there?

That's right. And she does everything in her power to communicate this, although her powers of communication are different than Johnny's.

It just seems in the dialog above they are expressly talking about a thing that River has and that John needs. What does John need and why does he need it?

John needs to be unique. John was a set of twins, with an average name, an average lifestyle, and basically run-of-the-mill everything. River is opposite: she's unique, and a bit of an outcast because of it.

Recall the conversation between Johnny and River when stargazing. He thinks the stars are boring because they are all the same--that's his internal plight, normalcy. River, however, thinks of the stars as unique lighthouses that are far away from all the others, alone, casting their signals outward. Her plight is more like anti-normalcy. She wants what Johnny has, in a way, and he wants what she has. Together, with their powers combined, they make Captain Platypus!

So he worries about this fact with Nick. He explains that he realizes he's only using her (although he naively glosses over the idea that every functional couple should fill each other's gaps in some way). And that's that, I think. XD

Terry263

• Tier 1
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 01:15:15 AM »
Despite welcoming the no-cost options, the quality of lunch meals offered at the islandís public schools continues to be a stomach-turning topic for many.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 08:38:11 AM »
Despite welcoming the no-cost options, the quality of lunch meals offered at the islandís public schools continues to be a stomach-turning topic for many.

Despite the unwelcoming no-cost option, the quality if the banhammer offered at this forum's public board continues to be a crushing topic for many bots.
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.