Author Topic: You know what pisses me off...  (Read 15099 times)

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
  • Current Mood: blank blank
You know what pisses me off...
« on: October 10, 2008, 10:57:35 PM »
A select few of other nationalities... With there stereo-typical statement; "Americans are fat", "Americans are evil", and "Americans are stupid".
Like just earlier this guy from the UK has the nerve to say:"America spends so much on destroying other countries, but spends less helping out other countries" and then he said "They go in Iraq to spread democracy so they say, but in Africa there's way worse problems with there governments, they just wanted oil..."

First off you retard, the united states is not spending billions to destroy other countries...We're spending that on keeping our equipment up to date, developing new technology, and paying our soldiers. We have the 2nd highest military size in the world, and we do well pay our people so this does make sense why the military budget is so high...
And besides the fact we have such a high military budget, but we also donate to other countries more then ANYONE. I find that sad, that we can afford to have the highest military budget and the highest donation budget. It's assholes like that guy who shouldn't receive any sort of help.

And then he acts as if the UK does anything to help those countries in Africa...OH WAIT...They did go into Africa at one point, and returned with slaves. Hmm I'm sure there so grateful for that great job UK.

I hate them -_-
America will be the superpower from now into forever.

Edit:And where was everyone when hurricane Katrina hit?
Where was the aid and foreign donations for damages from the wild fires in California?
We go head over heels to help when innocent countries are invaded, and help them without any reason to at all. But who would come and help us if China decided to invade us tomorrow? (Let me note, if they were not in a defense pact agreement with us.)

Answer:Nobody.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 11:02:29 PM by Sizzle »
This quote will be legend

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: You know what pisses me off...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 11:14:28 PM »
I admit that the U.S. does get some more bad rap than they deserve. In some ways though, the government did mess up in the last 8 years; but also, it is simply a default price to pay for being a super power/major player. There will always be more cynical criticisms when you are, as more attention is brought to you and your actions. This applies to more than just the U.S. to some degree, but atm and for the past while the U.S. has been the main target of it.

P.S. People did help with Katrina and etc. though. For example, China donated $5 million USD as well as supplies including 1,000 tents, 600 generators, bed sheets and stuff.

Edit:
Ahh, what's with the notion that China's gonna invade ya? It may be a rising power but that notion is just as guilty as the "America = invaders" itself. Let me tell you, no one wants a war.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 11:17:10 PM by Reives »

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 11:18:22 PM »
Just giving an example out of the blue.

And I mean...5 million dollars isn't really alot...The tents and stuff were nice but I'm not sure what 5 million dollars is really gonna help...It wiped out the entire city...Thats billions upon billions of dollars worth of damages...5 million isn't even enough to feed everyone in that city for more then a few weeks.

Edit:Not saying I'm not grateful cause I am. lol.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 11:20:52 PM by Sizzle »
This quote will be legend

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 11:20:10 PM »
I do think it's funny that everyone ignores the fact that America is EXTREMELY generous, but I think a lot of this is just unfair to mention, like slaves, for example. And I'm not quite sure about the donation budget thing. I know Americans give a ton of charity privately, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Federal Government gave out a bunch of money too (It is their favorite pastime, after all :P).

We DID get aid during Katrina, though. I don't think we asked for people to come in and help with rebuilding much, and we could probably handle that better anyway, but we got lots of money.

Anyway, the bigger issue for me as far as spending goes, is how we waste our money on stupid programs that keep people trapped in a low income life style. I think we should more or less abolish most of the welfare programs we have, and let private charities take over. They do a better job, and we'd pay less taxes and would have more money to give, anyway. Government gives people fish, but charities are more personal, and can actually teach people to fish, so to speak.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 11:25:09 PM »
And I mean...5 million dollars isn't really alot...The tents and stuff were nice but I'm not sure what 5 million dollars is really gonna help...It wiped out the entire city...Thats billions upon billions of dollars worth of damages...5 million isn't even enough to feed everyone in that city for more then a few weeks.
Well it's the similar amount of money the U.S. government gave to China for the Sichuan earthquake, and thousands times more people died there as well as even more damage. :P But it's seriously pointless to compare things like this as it's rather naive, and in the end there are too many external factors to take into account for it to even mean anything.

But yes, U.S. does contribute a lot to the world. It's just that when someone's big, people automatically expect them to contribute hugely. You know how when someone wins lottery, everybody who knows them expect them to give them massive amounts and the like.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
Re: Oh and
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 11:37:01 PM »
Something that really bothers me about this whole subject in general though, is how civilians are helplessly associated with their governments. I remember back then, many Americans used to travel with Canadian flag backpacks as a "safety measure" - it's just quite disturbing that the people have to bear and be associated with what they didn't do themselves but rather by the government, whether something the government did was right or wrong aside.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 11:42:24 PM »
Something that really bothers me about this whole subject in general though, is how civilians are helplessly associated with their governments. I remember back then, many Americans used to travel with Canadian flag backpacks as a "safety measure" - it's just quite disturbing that the people have to bear and be associated with what they didn't do themselves but rather by the government, whether something the government did was right or wrong aside.

Well, I mean, people can move, I wouldn't call it helpless. I had an Anthropology professor (oh my goodness! Teachers can be so depressing! I can't figure out how someone can be so cynical about society without taking a gun to their head!) Who basically was talking about he as an American, even though he strongly disagrees with about 90% (probably more, actually) of what the government does, he has to be willing to interact with people who are going to at first look at him as an 'agent' of the United States. It always makes me wonder why they stay anyway, since it's not that hard to leave.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 11:46:19 PM »
Read 1984 if you haven't. All of you.

Any case, while often exaggerated, many of those "aspects" must come from somewhere. It's not always bad - it would be boring should all the countries be the same. If you go to USA and see more fat persons, then yeah, according to the way human brain works, they are going to say that. It comes from the capitalist (not used pejoratively) nature of Americans, which leads to...fast foods.

But again, that nature comes from the UK. America = UK Colony (till the revolution). Who they started industrialism. So they could be blamed for the troubles? Not really.

Anyway, this is how human nature works. You keep prejudices running, and tell your people : "Look, that other country, they mistreat their people, they stave, they this, they that..." and doing so, they keep the attention away from their own problems. USA...China...Canada...Japan...Russia...it's all the same thing. There will be always 5% controlling 80% of resources. There will always be the idiots who we keep exploiting. It's just that the modern version is more subtle, that's all. The government is just a cover it changes all the time - it's those who are really rich and can afford to stay permanently in the influential gang that are the real high class.

Ah geez, i'm tired, can't keep coherent thoughts in place. Anyway, just to tell you, the society is so much more complex then it appears, and you are much easier to manipulate then you appear.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 11:51:31 PM »
Well, I mean, people can move, I wouldn't call it helpless. I had an Anthropology professor (oh my goodness! Teachers can be so depressing! I can't figure out how someone can be so cynical about society without taking a gun to their head!) Who basically was talking about he as an American, even though he strongly disagrees with about 90% (probably more, actually) of what the government does, he has to be willing to interact with people who are going to at first look at him as an 'agent' of the United States. It always makes me wonder why they stay anyway, since it's not that hard to leave.
Well there may actually be many reasons why one can't leave; but it seems like that's not something we need to get into as I think we're drifting into the national pride subject a bit, so I'll go about that instead.

I think "The American Government" isn't exactly an ever-lasting never-changing department. The most obvious "shifts" per se, would be the presidential adminstration and its potential change every 4 years. Most of the times, the attitude from other countries seem to be focused on issues caused by certain distinct administrations and their policies/decisions, but not at "The America<tm>" - yet it's automatically associated with it, as that's the only ID for it. So I think that in some cases, loving one's country does not equal to loving one's government.

[I'll read and respond to your's right after Zeka. c: ]

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
Just one last extender for the last post: So aye, I think people love their country for everything involving it, like its history, its culture, its vibe and values per se - and while that is the case, they can agree or disagree with the current government without affecting their love for the actual country. :)

@Zeka:
That's some good points, although I'm not going to touch the fast food thingy or whatnot to try to stay politically-correct. :p But yes, I agree that when it comes down to it, everyone has their faults in many aspects and are trying to shine light on others' while not so much on their own; it's the nature of things. If you look from the perspectives of a poor country in Africa or whatnot, everyone'd probably be the same to them as they're all exploiting the resources. All the major players who actually have a say here won't be bringing those up much, as they themselves are all mutually benefiting.

Edit: Lol Sizzle, thanks for the topic. <3 actual discussions. And I'm moving this to General.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 12:14:50 AM by Reives »

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 12:15:10 AM »
Uk probably has made the same number of mistakes as America has, but some people are too proud of their country or ignorant to pay attention or care.

Personally my problem is that America, invaded Iraq on the pretense they had "Weapons of Mass Destruction" which I feel they do not and probably if they did it is for self defense purposes. Also some people may think bad of America because of past mistakes or Tyrant rulers if you see America as the biggest place in the world, or (the city of gold and chance) some will think it bad and good.

[Late ranting]

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
Aye with the Iraq thing, that seems to be a major source of bad vibe over the years. But again, notice how that is the result of a single elected government's doing; I'm very very interested in seeing how things and countries' reputations will go after the upcoming election. (I swear I've been paying ten folds more attention to the U.S. election than the Canadian one that's coming up next week, and I'm Canadian. :P )

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 12:25:02 AM »
(I swear I've been paying ten folds more attention to the U.S. election than the Canadian one that's coming up next week, and I'm Canadian. :P )
That always makes me feel guilty when people say stuff like that. I'd gladly pay attention to more world politics, but every one seems to mostly care about what happens here anyway. We're not THAT much more superpowerish.

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 12:36:55 AM »
Truthlly I pay more attention to orphans and the homeless in the world then what happens here. Politics are really boring.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 12:39:31 AM »
This year is the first time I've paid attention to politics, and that's with the US election. D: I used to think that it's boring too but for some reason it just pulled me in this time.