Author Topic: Battler Attempt  (Read 1893 times)

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Battler Attempt
« on: October 08, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »
Some battlers for a game, I made with paint wanted to get some criticsm on them because I feel the latest (bottom) one is lacking.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Battler Attempt
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 10:17:49 PM »
Heheh, that's pretty cute. I'll give ya some criticisms! c:

The head's a bit too flat, sort of like it's compressed. Autonomy is a little lego-lized, if you know what I mean. Shading-wise, there are some pixel techniques that may really help ya, like the dot-shader thingy; look them up sometimes. :) It's pretty hard to make smooth things in paint like the sample battler you posted though.

Good try! You'll get better with practice. By the way, it might be a good idea to download Gimp or something.

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 10:53:12 PM »
Just got Gimp now (I can use it for a lot of things it seems, it's just confusing) I solved the head problem it seems but I feel like changing his clothing and making them a bit darker.

Thanks for the criticism *goes and improve*.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:59:37 PM by Ruzu »

Sarkilas

• Tier 6
  • That guy
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 06:39:09 AM »
Nice. I think Reives probably summed most up, but I have a few things to say.

First of all, the head looks squashed. You might wanna make it a little bit longer in height.
Also, the pants have really dull shading, at least the bottom one. Now, before you start shading anything, remember that your light source is coming from the upper left corner. Shading should be based on that.

Otherwise it's really good. I see potential in how you managed to draw his form. Was this done entirely in Paint o.O? And I also like how you shaded the hair. Looks glossy :P

- Sark

Need scripting help? Toss me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
Also able to help with anything RMXP related. Please do not hesitate to ask.

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 07:35:39 PM »
Nice. I think Reives probably summed most up, but I have a few things to say.

First of all, the head looks squashed. You might wanna make it a little bit longer in height.
Also, the pants have really dull shading, at least the bottom one. Now, before you start shading anything, remember that your light source is coming from the upper left corner. Shading should be based on that.

Otherwise it's really good. I see potential in how you managed to draw his form. Was this done entirely in Paint o.O? And I also like how you shaded the hair. Looks glossy :P

- Sark

It was done in Paint and from scratch  ;) I've tried this before but never liked the outcome, and I used photobucket at school for lighter skin tones but ended up screwing up making them well... Yellow like a banana and tried again with paint because Gimp is making me mad  -cuss- and the female down below was horribly done but I was just getting a better feel of paint and wanted to try to make longer hair because I already tried shorter.
Spoiler: Female • show

Spoiler: Old Derrick RTP Style • show

Sarkilas

• Tier 6
  • That guy
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 04:36:39 AM »
Not bad. The female battler has a few male features, though, and the bottom RTP edit is so pitch black you can hardly notice any shading nor the outlines.
The blade of the female battler has some perspective issues (eg. the hilt).

I think you should try to improve any existing battler you made before starting to make a whole bunch, unless, of course, you are planning on making some project with this style.

Need scripting help? Toss me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
Also able to help with anything RMXP related. Please do not hesitate to ask.

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 08:48:21 PM »
Actually Iam planning to make make a project with this style but I may have to avoid using my own for now and just use the battlers I found the one with Basil is an example of them and try to just edit them a bit. Also noticied the hilt was wrong, still praticing and I'm bad at making females at the moment because I mostly focused on working on guys.

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 10:19:37 AM »
I'll say it was a nice attempt, but ._. I wouldn't use it in my game ): but it's better then I could've done.
This quote will be legend

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 07:02:19 PM »
Well they might and might not make it as battlers as the edited RTP has and will, but they are something to do while I finish working my storyline, just they take awhile to do.

The one above was just a bit to tiny and doesn't look good, even now.

They aren't good but I suppose I'm getting somewhere, and paint is doing nicely.