Author Topic: Reasons RPG Maker VX Fail  (Read 30811 times)

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
  • Current Mood: blank blank
Re: Reasons RPG Maker VX Fail
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 09:08:04 PM »
I totally skipped 2k3....I thought it was complete crap :S just like I think VX was complete crap...The only rpg maker platforms I worked with for awhile were "Rpg maker 95", "Rpg maker 2000" and "Rpg maker xp" :) the 3 pwnage ones.
This quote will be legend

Nessiah

• Tier 3
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 09:17:09 PM »
Let's see rm2k3->2k/xp/vx

why because rm2k's saving grace are the patches which you can do in rm2k3 as well without even having to add a lot of patch to implement what 2k3 has that 2k doesn't. 2k3 is easier and that sideview battle system, more key inputs and stuff and the most user friendly. I have no idea why people keep using rm2k but I can't just bash them haha.

VX isn't total crap, in fact, vx would be much better as a sideview/platformer if given the chance. XP is just awful, a lot of programmers says so as well, the only saving grace is the mapping and RGSS but the mapping is bad itself as well >_>

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 09:18:45 PM »
O_o How is mapping on Rpg Maker xp bad compared to the rest of the rpg maker series?

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2008, 12:03:23 AM »
 :o "XP awful"?  :o :o
XP is the best one if you ask me, it's really good and it's more advanced then 2000 and 2003 thanks to the script though. But still it's great.

Sarkilas

• Tier 6
  • That guy
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2008, 04:47:18 AM »
Then again, there's no legal English version for rm2k3 right? And thus, isn't rm2k3 pretty much alike to 2k, just with a few more features? It's like a VX for 2k, just an upgrade, not a downgrade in several areas :P

I don't get either why you say XP is awful, and it's mapping system is fabulous. Okay, fine, it could have used more layers, but does any other RPG Maker have more than three layers anyhow? I never really found myself limited by just having three layers, as I never really did need to use the Event Layer for tiling (at least not often enough).

If you can come up with a complete objective argument on why XP is awful and we should start using rm2k3 because it's so awesome (and legal - at least I personally don't understand Japanese yet...), then be my guest.

- Sark

Need scripting help? Toss me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
Also able to help with anything RMXP related. Please do not hesitate to ask.

Atlanis

• Tier 3
  • Oldschool Maker (rm2k)
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2008, 09:55:48 AM »
Well actually the rm2k3 has a lot of bugs that the 2k hasnīt, but thx for mentioning that maker. In comparison too the rm2k3 the rm2k is easier for substituting Standardthings. And jus for people who havent heard of it, Inelukis Keypatch lets you use every Key on your keyboard. The only problem is that you canīt make Standalone games with that patch.

And donīt bash rm2k makers, everyone has a right to use wahtever programm he wants :vikonsmile:
Long Lives the rm2k!<br />Current Project: Badon Echnat et Moratum<br />Language: German<br />Maker: RPG-Maker 2000<br />Status: 20% (Scripting time:-D)

Sarkilas

• Tier 6
  • That guy
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2008, 10:29:28 AM »
And donīt bash rm2k makers, everyone has a right to use wahtever programm he wants :vikonsmile:
It was not a bash towards rm2k makers, it was a bash towards him (or her) due to the fact that it was mentioned as a fact and not an opinion. You can't write objectively about something when you don't have anything to back your facts up with, don't you agree?

Need scripting help? Toss me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
Also able to help with anything RMXP related. Please do not hesitate to ask.

Nessiah

• Tier 3
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2008, 08:39:07 PM »
Ok first of all no one is bashing rm2k, don't know why those people are saying that but anyway,
yes I am bashing XP  because it gave me bad memories :-[

If you guys want to know that badly.
Ask here as well since people here are smarter than me in these kind of things:
http://www.rpgmaker.net/forums/index.php?www

RMXP has a lot of issues, you also have a lot of bugs to fix in... *checks again her editor*

class bitmap(fix)
Event Conditional Branch (FIX) (wtf)
Game_System(FIX)
Game_Actor(FIX)
Window_Base(FIX)

LAG (the fact it's fps is goddamn awful)
RGSS is pretty messy btw :V

Also! Rpgmaker 2003's bugs aren't that many, I'd like to see what are these bugs and if you have the latest version, rm2k3 is customizable with reshack that's why a lot of people still use it.

I'll also mention something that is probably not the engine's fault but the maker him/herself,

1.) not many people can custom graphics in XP because of the resolution (not complaining but it's one thing)

2.) Not to mention the fact that even the most n00biest of the noobs can do his/her custom system with no knowledge as well, which makes the systems go bad itself and tiring and gives off a bad vibe to the maker itself as well as making people uninterested in said system that makes it go old and would rather play something else.

3.) Let's face it, XP games are huge because people don't bother to decrease the filesize of anything and just copy pasta anything to the folder that it's ridiculous (123 mb for a demo that doesn't last for like 3 hrs, yipee and it's full of RTP crap and ripped soundtracks)

4.) People are getting lazy, since they can just copy paste scripts.

5.) I will once again say it, XP removed some of the most useful features such as faceset and you have to script it and it uses a freaking front view battle system (damn it) (VX removed the useful actor bah) or rather in a more simpler term, xp sucks because you need scripts for even some of the most basic functions

6.) 94% of rmxp games are rtp that it's tiring to see.
7.) People can sell crap games with it (HELLO LAXIUS FORCE I'M LOOKING AT YOU!)
8.) XP has bad auto tiling

Compare rm2k3-made games to XP games and you'll see why (preferably Balmung Cycle, Sacred Earth Bonds, etc.etc.etc.). Then again we might be masochists why we use it because we worked hard on it and we don't rely on anything else aside from rips I guess.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 08:52:08 PM by Nessiah »

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2008, 09:38:15 PM »
2.) Not to mention the fact that even the most n00biest of the noobs can do his/her custom system with no knowledge as well, which makes the systems go bad itself and tiring and gives off a bad vibe to the maker itself as well as making people uninterested in said system that makes it go old and would rather play something else.

I've never understood why this bugs people. I like programs even the n00bs can use. It saves us who understand it from having to answer as many questions. True, some n00bs made crappy custom systems, but that's like saying that the n00bs who make crappy images in photoshop, or crappy CG models in maya give the program a bad vibe.

RMXP has a lot of issues, you also have a lot of bugs to fix in... *checks again her editor*

class bitmap(fix)
Event Conditional Branch (FIX) (wtf)
Game_System(FIX)
Game_Actor(FIX)
Window_Base(FIX)

LAG (the fact it's fps is goddamn awful)

I've never had issues with any of those. The conditional branch, and the Game_Actor, Game_System, and Window_Base classes all work fine (I should know, I use all of them frequently while scripting.) And the program doesn't lag if you use an antilag script, and don't do stupid things to make it lag (is 40 fps really that bad?)

not many people can custom graphics in XP because of the resolution (not complaining but it's one thing)

This one baffles me. That's like saying "I hate maya because a user has a lot more power to make a good model, and many people make crappy ones because of this power". I personally think the old tiny sprites look horrible. RMXP's resolution gives so much more freedom with sprites. Some of the poses seen in Quitnessence would not have been possible without the ability to have large spritesheets.

Let's face it, XP games are huge because people don't bother to decrease the filesize of anything and just copy pasta anything to the folder that it's ridiculous (123 mb for a demo that doesn't last for like 3 hrs, yipee and it's full of RTP crap and ripped soundtracks)

that has nothing to do with the engine. That's like condemning winzip because some people stick lots of useless files in their zips, thus making the dload take forever.

I will once again say it, XP removed some of the most useful features such as faceset and you have to script it and it uses a freaking front view battle system (damn it) (VX removed the useful actor bah) or rather in a more simpler term, xp sucks because you need scripts for even some of the most basic functions

Tell that to some of the brilliant XP eventers. People would just rather spend 3 secconds getting a useful system than eventing one. There's nothing wrong with increasing the ability to customize by adding the scripting engine. And you can even event facesets, if you want. PinedaX had a game that featured facesets with events. I don't see why some people are so angry that there is a scripting system in XP, I would love to see someone try and make the BlizzABS (especially version 2.0 which will features allies controlled by their own AI) in RM2k or RM2k3

94% of rmxp games are rtp that it's tiring to see.
People are getting lazy, since they can just copy paste scripts.

You can't blame the program for the crappy games that n00bs make on it. There are plenty of crappy songs made on FL Studios, plenty of crappy images made in photoshop, THOUSANDS of poorly done flash videos, and lots of poorly made games on every game engine. A good developer can use XP to the fullness of its potential, and make a game that is impossible on RM2k3. Even if some people think scripting is blasphemy to the RM series, that doesn't make XP a crappy engine. I think some people need to learn to move on from the past, and stop being angry that someone can in 10 minutes create a much more code efficient catterpillar system than what would take hours on Rm2k3.

Yes, I'm ranting FOR RMXP, something you don't see much these days. Just felt I'd speak my peice

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2008, 09:40:48 PM »
Everyone just got their own opinions and are good with their own maker. Personally I lag with VX and go smoothly with XP on my old computer. (Both work good on my Vista).

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2008, 10:00:11 PM »
You can't bag on Rm2k cause Rm2k was the greatest steping stone in RPG Maker history and always will be. It was the first time people started getting well into The rpg maker community

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2008, 10:16:39 PM »
I wasn't ragging on them. They're a heck of alot better than RPG Maker 3 for the PS2, XD I was just saying I like XP better, and that RM2k3 zellots bug me by saying using scripts means you're not a true game developer.

Nessiah

• Tier 3
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2008, 10:24:08 PM »
I've never understood why this bugs people. I like programs even the n00bs can use. It saves us who understand it from having to answer as many questions. True, some n00bs made crappy custom systems, but that's like saying that the n00bs who make crappy images in photoshop, or crappy CG models in maya give the program a bad vibe.

And that's what's happening to -rpgmaker- series nowadays :V
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w320/ynlraey/tog2.jpg

I've never had issues with any of those. The conditional branch, and the Game_Actor, Game_System, and Window_Base classes all work fine (I should know, I use all of them frequently while scripting.) And the program doesn't lag if you use an antilag script, and don't do stupid things to make it lag (is 40 fps really that bad?)

And yes it's that bad, even with anti lag script, XP LAGS LIKE HELL that's why most people don't like to download XP games. Also those are script fixers, I guess you haven't done anything much dynamic :V

This one baffles me. That's like saying "I hate maya because a user has a lot more power to make a good model, and many people make crappy ones because of this power". I personally think the old tiny sprites look horrible. RMXP's resolution gives so much more freedom with sprites. Some of the poses seen in Quitnessence would not have been possible without the ability to have large spritesheets.

I said I wasn't complaining about the resolution but some do, can you imagine how hard it is to make big sprites look right and that it isn't looked RESIZED horribly?

that has nothing to do with the engine. That's like condemning winzip because some people stick lots of useless files in their zips, thus making the dload take forever.

Use winrar or .7z

Tell that to some of the brilliant XP eventers. People would just rather spend 3 secconds getting a useful system than eventing one. There's nothing wrong with increasing the ability to customize by adding the scripting engine. And you can even event facesets, if you want. PinedaX had a game that featured facesets with events. I don't see why some people are so angry that there is a scripting system in XP, I would love to see someone try and make the BlizzABS (especially version 2.0 which will features allies controlled by their own AI) in RM2k or RM2k3

Everyone is angry since the events are limited and you have to script for them. Rpgmaker isn't supposed to be made with ABS in the first place (thus AGM) *cough*

A good developer can use XP to the fullness of its potential, and make a game that is impossible on RM2k3. Even if some people think scripting is blasphemy to the RM series, that doesn't make XP a crappy engine.

Nobody said scripting is a blasphemy on the rm series

But what enterbrain/ASCII/whatever did was removed some of the useful events and transforming everything that you can easily do in the rm2k3 DBS into something you need to script even fixes

I think some people need to learn to move on from the past, and stop being angry that someone can in 10 minutes create a much more code efficient catterpillar system

This can be done in 3 minutes lag free bug free. Also imagine yourself following someone like a caterpillar feels stupid, we tried it out btw (not intentionally) :V And people try to move on BUT it is hard to move on when they remove some stuff that are actually user friendly, why do you think people bash this if they haven't tried.

I tried XP for 2 years (I can't remember now), didn't get along with it why do you think German/French people keep using rm2k/2k3 after trying these out.

Also! How would you feel after downloading like 200 mb worth of game only to get a script error?  -cuss-
+locked

Just an F.Y.I  I use VX and 2k3 :P
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 10:29:11 PM by Nessiah »

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
  • Discord ID: Arwym#6091
  • Twitter: arwym
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2008, 11:04:38 PM »
Many people often complained about how "complex" RPG Maker XP is.  I think they probably thought of VX as an improvement on that aspect, by making it less complex.  Thus its apparent simplicity and lack of some features.  But what I dislike the most about VX is its default graphics.  However, I don't understand why that is such a big deal.  Just replace the graphics?

[Please do not PM me for forum support, unless it is a private matter.]

Nessiah

• Tier 3
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2008, 12:21:42 AM »
But what I dislike the most about VX is its default graphics.  However, I don't understand why that is such a big deal.  Just replace the graphics?

Some are just plain lazy or that VX's box tiles is the killer (then you can always use panorama but wth)

But to be sincerely, honest, the reason why I'm doing this is I like VX  :reivsmile:
So saying how an engine fails is certainly something rude. Just think of this:

As long as you can do what you want for your game it doesn't matter.

Saying that please don't bash VX anymore   :pewpewpew: