Author Topic: Review songs for pocket change!  (Read 5202 times)

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Review songs for pocket change!
« on: October 08, 2013, 03:06:35 PM »
If you ever find yourself absolutely 100% without an income, fret not! There's this thing called Slicethepie (yep, there's your link) I discovered, and it pays you measly amounts of pocket change to review indie music in all sorts of genres. It also seems to be a bit of a troll, as it started by feeding me all of the genres I couldn't stand, but that actually helps for giving the artists proper critique, because it's easier to find what's wrong with the song if you already don't like it. XD After reading a couple of sources that said it's legit, I gave it a try, and it's already transferred my money to my Paypal (yes, Paypal, QM!!!) and hasn't spammed my inbox, so I'm giving it the A-OK. :)

Besides earning some dough, you get the added bonus of helping indie artists get better, and listening to a lot of different (mostly rather good) music.

Here's a couple of good (if outdated) articles with tips, including a list of musical terms that might be helpful.

http://chasmac.hubpages.com/hub/slicethepie-reviews
http://voices.yahoo.com/how-work-slice-pie-2836277.html?cat=3

Spoiler: Zooks' tips n stuff • show
Their program won't let you copy-paste reviews, so you have to actually write decent, original stuff to earn more than a nickel per song. Picking up on the key words you should be reviewing is important, and I've found through trial and error that reviewing each instrument, even very briefly, is a bonus, as well as talking about the singer's tone and quality, the overall recording quality, the structure of the song, how the composition of the track is set up, commercial potential, etc. Basically, just talk about a bunch of music-related stuff, and try to be as thorough as possible. If you don't mention enough "musical" stuff, the program won't accept your review as a musical review. It also won't let you write something too short, or something that sounds like your previous reviews (that part can be frustrating when it feeds you song after song that sound the same sometimes). Also, no major curse words. Just censor them. :P

If it tells you you didn't include enough musical terms, you can just tack some short stuff on the end, like: "Drums = good, guitars = dynamic, singer's voice sounded expressive, etc."

The fun part: you get to listen to a lot of generally really good indie tracks, and get paid to give them your opinion. Give your two cents, and get two cents! :P

The not-so-fun part: ~15 per thought-out, well written review isn't a lot of money. If your review is short, it'll be even less. And you do indeed have to sit through at least 90 seconds of each song. There are occasions when the site glitches, and your review won't be submitted due to an error, and the only way to fix it is to refresh the page. There aren't a lot of reviews you'll lose, but even the few you do feels frustrating because you're typing a lot for your pennies. Also, their minimum withdraw amount is $10, so you're going to be there for a few hours. It goes by quickly enough, though. :P

If you get a rhythm going and learn what kind of terms to use to get a few nickels per review, you can earn enough money not to starve to death. And have fun listening to a variety of indie music. And tearing some of it to shreds if it's really terrible. XD

A few hours for $10 a day can add up to something you can actually use eventually. So I thought I would share. :)

Edit: I couldn't figure out where to put this, so I just tacked it in tricks of the trades. If it goes somewhere else, feel free to move it. :P
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 03:23:35 PM by Dr. Zooks McCoy »

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
Re: Review songs for pocket change!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 11:34:52 PM »
Paypal
I stopped reading there. :facepalm:

I think I might go there later, not for the cash, but for potentially finding new stuff I'm going to like.

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 11:37:59 PM »
Paypal's never hurt us little people. What they're doing with Kickstarter projects is bad, but they haven't thrown most of us under the bus (yet). XD

Noracto

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 05:54:31 AM »
I shall give this site a shot :)
Thanks for posting it up it might even give me a few Ideas for writing some of my own stuff  :platquack:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 06:20:37 AM by Noracto »
A good game Has:
1. A good story
2. AWESOME Music

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:32:42 AM »
403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
I LOL'd.

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 05:01:19 PM »
I got a Miley Cyrus song. No lie, I looked it up after.

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 01:15:41 AM »
Can you do this without earning money?
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.