Author Topic: Organised Debate  (Read 3462 times)

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Organised Debate
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:58:49 AM »
It seems ironic that the title is about debating, but I have been thinking about the sport of debating.
Organised debating is the debating when people are assigned to an topic and an opinion, then have to research facts about that topic. After they have written their speeches they have to 'work as a team' and try to crush the other team with rebuts and enormous comments.

Normal debating is good and essential to share opinions and try to reason with people, but organised debating serves no purpose, except for sport. In organised debating you can't have an opinion (unless you're lucky) and you have to rely on facts and events, hardly ever morals or emotions. Also in organised debating you have to 'work as a team' or with people. When in a debating team it is extremly annoying, for they think about diffrent things, even if it's on the same side.

This is an odd topic to debate about, but recently it's been annoying me a lot, I am starting to hate organised debating, for the fact that it is so phoney and I don't like the thought of having to debate about a diffrent opinion then my own. Though a lot of people say I would be good at debating....

I don't like competitive actvities that much, that's why I don't do sport or online gaming, so I really don't like debating and I don't think that they should make such a serious and essential form of discussion into a mere sport. It makes me feel they are just making people more violent and encouraging them to try and crush the enemy, not only this, but I also feel they are degrading debating by making it competitive.

Am I the only one who sees how evil organised debating is?   ???
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:38:48 AM by EgotisticalRaven »
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
Re: Organised Debate
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 09:42:27 AM »
I just want to make it clear. Organized debating is similar to the oregon-oxford debate style? /confused

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 10:11:31 AM »
I just want to make it clear. Organized debating is similar to the oregon-oxford debate style? /confused

So this is what they call the organised debating I hate so much.... Oxford Stlye Debate....
That still doesn't change any of my opinions though. I hate this style of debating so much, it is so unnatural, this debating style is so strange, it never fails to make me feel uncomfortable and frustrated. Thanks for telling me what they call it.

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 11:48:08 AM »
With all due respect, that sounds stupid XD Who would waste time debating something that's not their actual opinion? I don't get it. I'm all for debating when I have an opinion on something, I don't mind confrontation, but doing it as a sport seems... well, like I said, stupid.
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 10:08:16 PM »
With all due respect, that sounds stupid XD Who would waste time debating something that's not their actual opinion? I don't get it. I'm all for debating when I have an opinion on something, I don't mind confrontation, but doing it as a sport seems... well, like I said, stupid.

This is exactly my opinion, no one seems to understand how stupid it really is. I really don't even know why this debating style exists, but as I said I think it might exist just so people can have another sport.  :nds:

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 10:35:01 PM »
When you're forced to argue for the other side, you're forced to open your mind to new opinions. Likewise, if someone you agree with can make a really good counter-point to your and their initial stance, you're more likely to reconsider your beliefs. Considering all sides is enlightening, and a basis to well-rounded thought.

Organized debate does this with an extra bonus--a controlled environment. Arguments are heated, almost nonsensical displays of passion. Debates, on the other hand, are logical approaches.

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 03:04:06 AM »
When you're forced to argue for the other side, you're forced to open your mind to new opinions. Likewise, if someone you agree with can make a really good counter-point to your and their initial stance, you're more likely to reconsider your beliefs. Considering all sides is enlightening, and a basis to well-rounded thought.

Organized debate does this with an extra bonus--a controlled environment. Arguments are heated, almost nonsensical displays of passion. Debates, on the other hand, are logical approaches.

You make some very good points there....  :deepstuff:

I do agree it's good to be open minded about  topics, but I don't seem to achieve that through team debates. Maybe that's why I see them as strange. I find that I can listen open mindly (Is that a word!?) when I talk about certain topics of debate with people I know. For example, when I see my grandparents I always talk about philosophical topics with my grandfather and most of the time we have completely diffrent opinions than eachother, but we always feel enlightened after we talk. We never yell or get angry at one another, but we accept whatever we say as an opinion.

I think whatever people are trying to achieve through organised (funny how we spell it diffrently) debating can already be achieved in other ways, so I think it's unnecessary and 'evil' to have team debates.

Ronnie

• Tier 7
  • we live in a beautiful world.
    • my personal blog
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 12:18:34 PM »

Lan already said everything I wanted to say on this matter.
If you're arguing for your own opinion, nobody has any guarantee that you'll listen to the other side as well. It's merely a method of teaching you how to be more understanding, and a lot of people do need that.
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

"Nosza, fogadd bilincseinket, kötözd be fájó szívverésed..." (József Attila)