Author Topic: This game should come with a trigger warning  (Read 2541 times)

AnnaIME

• Tier 1
This game should come with a trigger warning
« on: July 29, 2013, 01:15:57 PM »
I'm sitting here with tears running down my face.

When Izzy talked about envying River. About the constant acting. About passing for normal, and the terrible cost, of the constant self monitoring, of the crushing shame every time I fail. (OK, that last bit wasn't Izzy, it was me.)

I bought this game as part of a GOG bundle and had no idea this game was about Asperger's Syndrome. When Izzy called John "neurotypical" it was like a punch to my stomache. My own fault for not researching better...

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Re: This game should come with a trigger warning
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:29:41 PM »
Hm, are these good tears or bad tears? D: There are often tears for To the Moon's story, but I've never heard of bad ones. :(

q

• Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 03:12:41 PM »
My dear, you are not alone. I adore this game to no limit... I felt understood, I felt love and it crushed me.

AnnaIME

• Tier 1
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 03:58:43 PM »
Hm, are these good tears or bad tears? D: There are often tears for To the Moon's story, but I've never heard of bad ones. :(

A bit of both. I will finish the game, just not today.

I was diagnosed just a few months ago after struggling my whole life. It was a relief to get an explanation and a sort of absolution. I wasn't just lazy/stupid/weak, I really have some extra challenges. I'm actually awesome for managing as well as I have.

Changing the narrator's voice in my head takes longer, and when Izzy talked about the price of passing... it hit me hard.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:03:30 PM by AnnaIME »

divStar

• Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 05:57:16 PM »
I also love this game. I made it through and I was surprised and sad alike once I figured out the reason behind all those troubles. The soundtrack is one of THE things, that makes this game so awesome. In addition it can make you smile, too :).

You will make it. I don't have any diagnosed extra challenges, but life is hard as it is - especially with no parental aid and in a foreign country. I'm still happy I'm alive - and this game made me feel human.

I honestly wish you the best.