Author Topic: Indie Games  (Read 1804 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Indie Games
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:18:20 PM »
Anyone have any opinions on what it means to be an indie developer?

How would you define it?

Is this definition basically the same as for indie music and indie movies? And are we using "indie" in the same way today as we did when we first started calling certain games "indie"?

And even more interestingly, at what point does a development team stop being indie? Where is that line?

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Re: Indie Games
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 02:16:12 PM »
To me Indie is a word for independence. To me Indie game is a game that wasn't sponsored or made just based on some order. Indie is something someone does without a big sponsor or sponsors. To me being Indie is being free with noone telling you what you should do with what you are doing unless you ask them to.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 07:03:07 PM »
Surely an indie developer is a person or small team that makes games, independent of any financial aid from a publisher.

When does a team stop being indie? Interesting... although I'd figure that as long as there's no producer, they're still indie. But I'm curious... what if a team gets really financially successful with a game, and hires more people and expands their business? I'd hesitate to call a rich team over 20 or so people and indie group.

Spoiler: show

~

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 01:23:22 AM »
I think the lines between indie and non-indie are more blurred today, especially with social media connecting the small guys with the big guys so easily.
I agree with Lance and Tumbles, the difference is the fat guys in suits who throw around money and make financial and marketing decisions. Here's an unrealistic question, what if a well known artist/developer/musician joins an indie team for very little pay, does that make them less indie?