Author Topic: Social Caterpillar  (Read 14005 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Social Caterpillar (No Demo Yet)
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »
Intro. Version (Title Screen) by Merlandese

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
Re: Social Caterpillar OPEN TESTING!
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 02:09:14 AM »
A wonderful person helped make the SOCIAL CATERPILLAR site, and I'm now opening it up for public testing. If you haven't given it a test and would like to provide me with insight or feedback, please do!

Thanks a lot, everybirdy!

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 05:30:24 AM »
A wonderful person helped make the SOCIAL CATERPILLAR site, and I'm now opening it up for public testing. If you haven't given it a test and would like to provide me with insight or feedback, please do!

Thanks a lot, everybirdy!

There is nothing wrong with the links, they all work.

Personally I would prefer it if clicking "Play the Beta" button went to a description on you website as, although your website looks nice and stylish, being linked here is a bit anti-climatic since the main colour of the forum is white - it doesn't fit with the colour scheme of you game, and no matter how much formatting you put into your first post the description would look so much more professional if it was on a separate page of your website.

The downside of that is that it will cost more work or/and money to create another page.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 05:44:35 AM by The-PurpleOrange »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 12:11:15 PM »
Personally I would prefer it if clicking "Play the Beta" button went to a description on you website as, although your website looks nice and stylish, being linked here is a bit anti-climatic since the main colour of the forum is white - it doesn't fit with the colour scheme of you game, and no matter how much formatting you put into your first post the description would look so much more professional if it was on a separate page of your website.

I was wondering what to do, and decided that the best way to get more feedback would be to have a thread linked there. But I don't want to create a temporary (or even permanent) forum of my own--it's just not worth it. Maybe I'll make an intermediary page that has the contact information and also leads here.

It's not THAT shocking, though, when you consider that the main pages for Freebird are also very different from its forums. XD Thanks, though. I'll see what I can do. :)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 08:21:10 PM »
Yeah, I'd love to hear what you think about the rest of it!

The newest version has the majority of the issues corrected, I believe. If you don't have access to it, just ask. I may need to PM it out to folks. :)

Thanks, QuePat! (Feeling like making fancy names.)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 01:24:35 AM »
Going to try for a release in January. Testers are still more than welcome. :)

Here's the ending theme, freshly uploaded:

The Social Caterpillar (Ending Theme) by Merlandese

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
Re: Social Caterpillar COMING SOON!
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 11:46:57 PM »
So I submitted Social Caterpillar to Desura!

For now, if you want to play it, I have it uploaded on my site for free.

http://www.twelvetiles.com/SC/socialcaterpillar.html

It's not a secret or anything, since I'm uploading it on a public site, but I may change how this Download/Donate operation works depending on whether or not it gets accepted by Desura, so I'm not being too loud about it. :)

But if someone wants to move this to the Completed Games section, please do!

EDIT: I lied! If you got the game in that short window, cool, but otherwise I'm taking it down for now. Monkeys in the back room have messed with my filing cabinets. :) Sorry!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:21:36 AM by Merlandese »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
Re: Social Caterpillar
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 11:16:05 PM »
Okay, the game is up for sale! Like, officially! You can get it, and play it, for money. Legit. :)

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 01:00:56 AM »
Okay, the game is up for sale! Like, officially! You can get it, and play it, for money. Legit. :)

I'll spread the word. :seraismile: I should be able to convince a few people.

Spoiler: show

~

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 05:40:08 AM »
I've been spreading the word, and apparently someone got a 400 bad request when they went to the site. It's working fine for me, just thought I should let you know.

~

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 12:13:24 PM »
Really? It's working for me, too. What's the 400 code mean again?

luqadoo

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »
I hope this gets on Desura, it looks really good.  :)

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2014, 06:38:17 PM »
Really? It's working for me, too. What's the 400 code mean again?

No idea. ??? But it just seems to be the one guy with the issue.

~

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 07:27:28 PM »
1) HTTP Error 400 = 400 Bad Request → The request cannot be fulfilled due to bad syntax.
Happens when there are coding errors, I think. Though I don't know why it would appear on a static website.

2) I bough, played, finished and liked Social Caterpillar. It took me about one hour to play through it (with Level 10, 50 social points, but without uncovering all secret maps and getting all missing pieces). The puzzles were actually much more fun than I expected and I thought I wasn't much of a puzzle person. Some of them reminded me of those online IQ tests and not all of them were easy. In a few cases I started guessing, but most of the time I was able to solve the puzzles fair and square.

The soundtrack was pretty neat. I liked the combination of relaxing and quirky music. What I also liked were those references to other games the Freebird Games, Fleuret Blanc, Persona, Final Fantasy. And I'm sure there are still lots of interesting things I haven't discovered.

What I've discovered, though, was the basement room with those "progess notes".
Though I'm an introvert, I usually don't have major problems to socialize with others, but there were lots of situations in Social Caterpillar that felt rather familiar. And I'm rather fond of the caterpillar metaphor. A couple of other symbols were also integrated into the game pretty well without ever feeling pretentious.

Oh, and did I mention that I'm rather impressed about the graphics? They really DO look nice, all of them. It's pretty rare for an RPG Maker game to have only original graphics, but it's even more rare to have a graphic style that feels so consistent.

I didn't get bored once I found the game pretty motivating overall, though it was a bit tedious to do all the walking over and over again when I failed a conversation. It was only a matter of seconds, though, and the Tele-Warp came in pretty handy.

While I think the gameplay itself was nice and fun, I think it would have been nice to have a bit more variety or witness events that take place as direct results of the social level ups.

Anyway, I can truthfully say that I enjoyed Social Caterpillar and its underlying theme It was a unique little game unlike anything I've played so far. :)

By the way, how does the game change if I choose a different character? I play with... X.... what was his name again? ^^

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:15:47 PM by Squall »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 08:52:46 PM »
Thanks a lot, Squall! There are a lot of nice words in there!

What I've discovered, though, was the basement room with those "progess notes".
Though I'm an introvert, I usually don't have major problems to socialize with others, but there were lots of situations in Social Caterpillar that felt rather familiar. And I'm rather fond of the caterpillar metaphor. A couple of other symbols were also integrated into the game pretty well without ever feeling pretentious.

That basement thing is a bit extreme, which is why it's so off-the-path. Really, the person in that room is what the game would call a Social Cocoon. Their notes follow the player's path almost exactly, except at a certain point they hole themselves up and refuse to come out anymore--a possibility for some people.

By the way, how does the game change if I choose a different character? I play with... X.... what was his name again? ^^

There's an unfortunate conveyance issue with this. The character is just an avatar that you can choose, hopefully making it easier to relate. But the story is exactly the same otherwise. I felt no need to limit people to just one character. But now it seems like maybe there are four different games. XD

While I think the gameplay itself was nice and fun, I think it would have been nice to have a bit more variety or witness events that take place as direct results of the social level ups.

I agree! That was definitely on the drawing board for awhile, but it became progressively harder to conceive mini-plots and events that explained themselves without dialogue and without demanding a ton more visual resources. Maybe it suffered in the end for it, but who knows?

I originally wanted every room to have its own starting event, like little theatrical plays. The parents, for example, were going to be standing on a bridge together in the darkness, but then the bridge would break and the two would separate into the two apartments you find them in. You can see why that was a little ambitious. XD

I appreciate the support, man! Glad you enjoyed it. :) :) :)