Author Topic: Mainstream Games  (Read 3453 times)

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Mainstream Games
« on: May 03, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »
So, I have checked this forum, and it has a lot of serious discussion as well as a lot of off topic stuff. But I surprisingly haven't noted any section dedicated to mainstream games. I think it would work well if there could be a section or thread dedicated to mainstream game discussion.
So, post your favourite mainstream games here! :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:00:29 PM by Dev J Chand »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
Re: Mainstream Games
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:28:53 AM »
I was just discussing this with Ferdk. Seems like enjoying mainstream games is almost taboo in the indie world.

I like some prominent mainstream franchises, like The Legend of Zelda and Professor Layton. And despite the recent lack of good games, I'm still a solid lover of Final Fantasy.

There are actually quite a bit of mainstream games I like. Too many, perhaps. XD

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »
I think if you consider ArmA an mainstream game that would be my pick.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:58:02 PM »
I enjoy Modern Warfare. Just the single-player, because I love story shooters (not saying that the story's award-winning or what, just enjoyable). The multiplayer filled with underaged misanthropes can go to hell though.

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: evil evil
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 03:58:26 PM »
I enjoy Modern Warfare. Just the single-player, because I love story shooters (not saying that the story's award-winning or what, just enjoyable). The multiplayer filled with underaged misanthropes can go to hell though.
You should check Spec Ops: The Line. It does have a good story.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 05:05:58 PM »

I can vouch for that. The story absolutely blew me away. :vikonsmile: It is third person though.

Spoiler: show

~

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 05:56:57 PM »
Also Splinter Cell (though I played it up to Chaos Theory only itĘs probably my favourite stealth franchise)

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 11:54:52 PM »
Never played it. Only watched it on YouTube, and yes, I wholly agree. If not for the tired, third-person cover-based gunplay, I would've bought it in a hearbeat. It's low on my priority list because of the uninspired gameplay though.

Also Splinter Cell (though I played it up to Chaos Theory only itĘs probably my favourite stealth franchise)
Also love it, not Double Agent though. It loves to crash when I die at any point on the Kinshasa level. Ubisoft Shanghai has such shitty programmers it's not even funny. Gameplay-wise, I love Chaos Theory. They really dumbed-down the series with Conviction. And while it's not even out, Blacklist looks like Conviction with a few Chaos-Theory flavors thrown in instead of the other way around.

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 12:16:29 AM »
Thanks everyone for the responses!

Well, there are quite a few mainstream games that I like. I personally am a big fan of the Hitman franchise. I like the idea of fooling people and "hiding in plain sight" using disguises in a stealth game. It provides an interesting view on the general traditional stealth mechanics. While all the Hitman games in my opinion have their flaws, they have generally provided tense and satisfying moments. Contracts and Silent Assassin are my favourites, Contracts for some really well designed levels, and Silent Assassin for its environments and some unique levels.

It's just a shame that Absolution feels more like a generic stealth game than a social stealth and disguise oriented game. I still think it's fine, but it definitely is a disappointment.

My other favourite franchise happens to be Prince Of Persia. From the very first game, I have liked it for the smooth platforming, decent puzzle solving, a simple yet engaging combat system. I haven't fully tried Sands Of Time, and haven't tried Warrior Within, but I really liked The Two Thrones for its good platforming and engaging combat. The only thing I felt was wrong with it was that the platforming sometimes ended up being guesswork, and the quick time events were prolonged for stealthily killing strong enemies. Still good nonetheless.

I also like the Assassin's Creed franchise, but mostly because of the inherent ideas that could be executed well. It is undoubtedly flawed, but Assassin's Creed 1 and Assassin's Creed 2, the games which I have played, have had strong points, like the exploration of cities, the free flowing platforming, and the atmosphere within the cities. I also see it as a spiritual successor to the Prince Of Persia franchise, mainly because of the generally ancient settings and the platforming. I've heard both good and bad things about the third one, and after watching a playthrough, it was disappointing to see that they unnecessarily added many guards to the rooftops, the missions looked too scripted and short, and there wasn't much variety in the cities in the game. I don't think it'd be all that bad of a game, though.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 01:12:31 AM »
Strictly speaking, I tend to enjoy mainstream games more than indie games, in the same way that I enjoy mainstream films more than indie ones. There's just so much that can be done with a huge team and a huge budget that indie games just can't compare to.

But then again, mainstream devs are usually under the thumb of a controlling publisher, that are often so focused on sales that they force strong gameplay while either neglecting story entirely, or throwing in a crappy rehashed story at the end. For this reason, indie games tend be far more experimental. But the bad thing about experiments is that they often fail.

There are good and bad mainstream games, as well as good and bad indie games. I just enjoy good games. :seraismile: I don't care who makes them.

Oh man, what's this thread about? Oh yeah. I really enjoyed Bioshock Infinite.

Spoiler: show

~

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 09:40:52 AM »
Just for the sake of posting something interesting, I decided to get up a few videos.

I'm really interested in Watch Dogs. Looks really promising.
Watch Dogs - Game Demo Video [UK]

Latest video:

Watch_Dogs - World Premiere Gameplay Trailer: Out of Control [North America]

Post about what mainstream games you're looking forward to here!

lysfem

• Tier 2
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 10:53:52 AM »
Favourite mainstream game: TF2 :)
Don't think a mainstream section is necessary though, it's a forum for freebird games.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 11:41:43 AM »
Even people from Indie play mainstream title from time to time.

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »
I actually lost respect for mainstream titles by the time this current gen launched. I don't know if part of that is me being bitter I can't afford any of the current consoles or what :P

That being said, thanks to steam, I got to try a series I've heard about and didn't have much expectations: Assassin's Creed. Now I'm a big fan (although I haven't had time to play III yet, I played the rest in the course of the last 8 months or so).
I'm still a Final Fantasy fan despite hearing bad things about XIII, and if the PS4 launch causes the PS3 to drop in price, I might even pick it up for it (and a few other exclusives).

I loved the Portal games too (those are mainstream, right?). And despite the cheesiness, complete genre-shift and everything else wrong with Resident Evil 6, I had some fun playing co-op with a friend of mine (old-school local multiplayer, no online BS :P).

What I like of the indie scene though is that they're mostly short, condensed games. Which are good when I'm busy doing stuff (AC has made me neglect other stuff I should be doing because of how time consuming they are, and because I get possessed when I start one until I finish it :P).
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16