Author Topic: American government problems  (Read 7952 times)

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
American government problems
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:38:51 AM »
This is basically what you think of how the American government is structured. Personally, I find it massively flawed. The problem is, when the president tries to do most things, they have to be approved by congress and senates. The problem here is the majority in those places is from the opposing party, and they mostly reject anything the president tries to do, which is really annoying since some of the things they've rejected are totally legitimate and yet congress approved CISPA. It would be much better if there were independant people in the house of congress and senate.

How do all of you feel about this?
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Re: American government problems
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 12:24:23 PM »
Americans pretty much feel the same way XD

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 02:25:34 PM »
It would be much better if there were independant people in the house of congress and senate.

I don't know if I'd say it'd be much better, but it'd definitely be different.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:34:24 AM »
Don't paint European parliaments in rose colour. Here it also isn't the best thing, especially since our government is filled with money hungry fellas so many things which our government do are really strange, but at least when we as citizens do oppose something on a large scale they will back away in most cases, because memories of Velvet Revolution are still pretty fresh even after two decades.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »
This is my response to American governemnt about CISPA and things like that:
Show them Nerd!

@QR: I know there is no utopia, but here the corruption is really becoming an issue that might collapse the state if you give it time.
After 20 years of being a republic and having at least de jure and almost de facto  new government we have a commie on our presidential chair again... -.-
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:52:06 AM by Just Lance »

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 03:34:06 PM »
@QR: I know there is no utopia, but here the corruption is really becoming an issue that might collapse the state if you give it time.
After 20 years of being a republic and having at least de jure and almost de facto  new government we have a commie on our presidential chair again... -.-
Eh, EU's really falling apart, eh? Last I checked (a few months back), Germany's coercing Cyprus to accept the bailouts or bear the blame if EU disintegrates. :v

I know the feel about communists. While we didn't go commie yet, the communist insurgency (which was previously an anti-Japanese insurgency during WWII) has been a long pain in the back. That's telling of how much more crap we'll be into if they get into power.

Yeah... I hope that there won't be a sh*t bomb waiting for us during his presidency.

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:20:50 PM »
Meanwhile, in North Korea...

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 03:50:38 AM »
^^ Translation: "It could be worse"

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »
This is basically what you think of how the American government is structured. Personally, I find it massively flawed. The problem is, when the president tries to do most things, they have to be approved by congress and senates. The problem here is the majority in those places is from the opposing party, and they mostly reject anything the president tries to do, which is really annoying since some of the things they've rejected are totally legitimate and yet congress approved CISPA. It would be much better if there were independant people in the house of congress and senate.

If this wasn't the case then democracy would be a monarchy with elections. Trust me, you don't want that. That's where my country is heading and if my president succeeds (she's now managed to pass court reforms that allow her to cherrypick judges, among other things) we're doomed.
The system is obviously flawed (democracy itself is flawed), but the president overruling everything (or bypassing senate) is not the way to solve it either.
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

SinnyVic

• Tier 4
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 04:17:43 PM »
Well the US is a democratic republic after all. However, yes you're right, US politics have developed into a power struggle and it spans across all branches of the government as both political parties attempt to gain a majority of members in each branch to bypass the supposed checks and balances system (the system that should guarantee that no one part of government has complete control).

As history has shown, shifts in power between these two parties (Republicans and Democrats) largely depend on how the population perceives the president. The president probably has the most potential to tilt the public's favor to one political party since it depends on his performance. If the president fails to appease the public during times of crisis, the party the president is associated with loses favor with the people. This gives the other party a guaranteed success in later presidential elections and thus provides a long period of time where the president has free reign to elect as many of his party's politicians into the judicial and legislative branches to bypass the massive cockblocking in modern politics.

It may be flawed but nothing's truly perfect anyways. Be careful of the consequences, I suspect the US will have to suffer a major war or crisis before the president can actually do something without political interference.

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »
Be careful of the consequences, I suspect the US will have to suffer a major war or crisis before the president can actually do something without political interference.

That is similar to part of the way Hitler came to power in Germany - he declared a state of emergency through Article 48 allowing him to indefinitely suspend the Weimar Constitution. Later the Enabling Act was passed to allow laws to be created without them going through the Reichstag first.

Basically, if you create a law like that you have to be certain the President won't take advantage of it. The best part is that you can't be certain, yet there will be times where a law like that would be necessary.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:07:03 PM by The-PurpleOrange »

SinnyVic

• Tier 4
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 12:34:55 AM »
... I'm actually too uncomfortable with this topic to talk about the US in further depth over the internet.

I respectfully abstain from this thread.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:39:09 AM by Cryptophasia »

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 06:51:08 AM »
... I'm actually too uncomfortable with this topic to talk about the US in further depth over the internet.

I respectfully abstain from this thread.

Spoiler: show
The CIA is watching you...

...and they will find you...

...and they will kill you.

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 02:18:07 PM »
I randomly came across something relevant to this topic today.

http://www.clickhole.com/clickventure/youve-been-elected-congress-can-you-pass-even-one--1146?utm_campaign=default#1

--warning- it has explicit language--

Its a multiple choice roleplay. Don't take it too seriously.
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true