Author Topic: Core Curriculums  (Read 2157 times)

SinnyVic

• Tier 4
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
Core Curriculums
« on: October 21, 2013, 02:56:11 AM »
I am seriously dismayed that I am being forced to take certain classes due to the core curriculum at my university. 12 out of 32 classes I will take will be part of the core curriculum. I, personally, find it to be an absolute waste of time. Not only does it attempt to shove random* knowledge into my brain, I am also finding it increasingly difficult to retain the knowledge I am attempting to learn for my major because of the workload from the core curriculum classes. Thus, I am not content with my situation as I am or will be paying big bucks for an education where I don't care for a significant portion of my classes.

A classmate of mine told me that he was frustrated with the system of education we are learning from. He recommended to me the following video:
RSA Animate - Changing Education Paradigms

So I did. I agree with many of the points presented in the lecture. Feel free to agree or disagree with what is said in the video. Otherwise, please do reply on how you feel about a core curriculum in schools for any age or specialization.

* I consider these random for the following reason: whatever I am learning from these classes does not have an explicit benefit towards my specialization because these classes are unrelated to my major. Although this knowledge may result in some consequential benefit later, it will have an overall detrimental effect if my studies in my preferred specialization suffers. I am NOT saying that there is no merit to these core curriculum courses; I am simply saying that it seems unnecessary to force these classes on everybody and especially on those who are sure about what major or career they will pursue. My student adviser loves to say that a well-rounded education is important. While I do agree that is somewhat important, the core curriculum these days just seems like overkill to me.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:02:01 AM by SinnyVic »

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Core Curriculums
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 05:21:25 AM »
I haven't seen such a good youtube video in a long time. I really do agree with a lot of the points brought up. For me school can be very overwhelming. I am in middle school and a lot of the time massive stress is forced on me with doing tests, and dealing with all the students. I can't say anything about university though, though from what I've heard it's better than middle school. I can safely say that I'm a creative person and I really love learning, but I really hate school. Though because I have Aspergers Syndrome I can get away with so many things that other cannot.

I think that my view would be slightly diffrent because I am in middle school and not university, but I strongly agree that sometimes the core curriculum gets in the way.

Sometimes I daydream about being around during the times when philosophers roamed the earth and taught people, through lectures whilst sitting on the grass, talking about how many times he can break a stick in half or something. I dream about philosophers while my peers dream about their infactuations....
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 05:35:39 AM »
I haven't seen the video, because I can't spare the bandwidth. :seraisweat: However, I've found that my course is very good in terms of core subjects. I have nothing that isn't directly related to my main course. Anything else is an elective unit.

That's not to say that they're all good. My old course was terrible with compulsory units, that's why I changed to this one. I think it really depends on your university/course.

Spoiler: show

~

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »
I also generally agree with the video. As a possible solution, it would be nice if school didn't feel so forced. I mean I've finished school, and there certainly were times where I felt I wasn't up to going but had to because its law.

[What I mean by that is I didn't feel up to taking in new information, since it is pretty hard to do when you feel certain ways, so going to school wouldn't have been very beneficial. It would've been more beneficial to get some more rest and go in later so I did feel more up to learning and could take in more information.]

If they made it more of a flexible thing I feel it would be more beneficial since, for example, some people find it easier to learn in the morning while others learn better in afternoons and so on. The problem then would be finding the staff who would be willing to work the extra time. Shifts might work.

Also, though I don't know how it would work, it would be nice if there were times where you presented students with a task- anything from a common problem like a virus on a computer- to a more advanced task like trying to teach other classes a certain topic. This would help build skills in many areas that generally aren't used in schools at the moment. Getting students to work in groups and on their own in different tasks would help the students get experience of both.
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true