Author Topic: Halloween Flop  (Read 4843 times)

Racheal

• Tier 2
  • Cute. Is that what your mother taught you?
    • Ethereal Dreams
Halloween Flop
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:45:34 PM »

Pick up your copy today!
-

Details and screenshots hidden inside specially marked boxes
Spoiler: show
ABOUT
This project was originally designed for a Halloween contest at rpgmaker.net. Even as the short project it is, we got a little too ambitious and outside our comfort zone to be even remotely close to done on time. The project was put to the side, and we finally picked it up and finished it when the timing seemed right. The decision was also made to actually use publicly released scripts for the first time. If it were not for that decision, this might have never seen release.

As to the actual game, we wanted to shift our usual focus and try to make a game with interesting battles. As to if we succeeded on that, well, we'll have to wait and see on that one. It's definitely more interesting than anything else we've previous crafted, but it's hard to judge your own work sometimes, especially when you hold it dear. That's not to say we abandoned what we enjoy. This still has just as many quirky characters and original art as anything else we've ever released! We certainly went over the top with filling this with as many stupid references as we could.

We hope you enjoy our little side project! Feel free to share any references you catch. They are wide and varied, so it will be interesting to see what is caught.

SCREENSHOTS
-

-

CREDITS
Art by MakioKuta
Scripts by Racheal and Yanfly
Thanks to all our testers
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:25:24 PM by Racheal »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Halloween Flop
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:21:28 AM »
Maybe I'm silly, but I can't find the Download link. XD

Also, good to see you're still doing awesome stuff.

Racheal

• Tier 2
    • Ethereal Dreams
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »
Hm, I suppose I never state it, haha. You can click either of the covers to be taken to one of two places to download it. (The second one is direct from our site.)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »
This game is so fun! I'm really loving the battle system. It's pretty clever and engaging. :)

Just got Delila's cape back. Lots of charm in this game.

EDIT: Is Pronica, the unwilling princess, a nod to Castle Chase? XD

Okay, I finished. That was a great little game. XD Everyone, play this! It has some good ideas and simple charm.

Also, the musical choices were really fun.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:11:55 PM by Merlandese »

Racheal

• Tier 2
    • Ethereal Dreams
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 06:29:31 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it : ) It's nice to have really nailed a gameplay element for once it seems.

Pronica, and in fact her entire team, are all nods to Castle Chase. Pronica is actually based on the prototype design for Monica, thus the name. Ashley was just the first feminine sounding name that can also be used for a guy that we could think of, besides Clair. We can't for the life of us remember why we named the frog Helieo though...

Every fight is actually based on references like that, though the rest are more pop culture-y? I guess? And when we could, we got the music to match those same references.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 10:02:50 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it : ) It's nice to have really nailed a gameplay element for once it seems.

Pronica, and in fact her entire team, are all nods to Castle Chase. Pronica is actually based on the prototype design for Monica, thus the name. Ashley was just the first feminine sounding name that can also be used for a guy that we could think of, besides Clair. We can't for the life of us remember why we named the frog Helieo though...

Every fight is actually based on references like that, though the rest are more pop culture-y? I guess? And when we could, we got the music to match those same references.

Yeah, I noticed quite a few references, which is what made the musical ques so great. I did have a hard time with
Team Twilight.
It was the only battle I lost.

Also, I wish you would have explained why the frog was named that because I thought for sure it was a
Delmar
reference.

I also think the battles were just perfectly balanced and approached. I bet a lot of work went into them. What's great is that the 8 battles are just enough for the system to be fully explored without getting repetitive or boring. Even more is that if you decide to get the Secret Moves, they aren't super-powered into being the dominant strategy. They really just flesh out the moves list more with another decently good strategy.

Thanks for sharing it. :)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 03:40:17 PM »
Whoa, I'm so glad to see that you guys are still active, Rach! Hope Makio's been well too. :) Are you still working on Ethereal Dreams, or another project after this one?

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 11:13:54 AM »
Wow this was amazingly fun! :D Just beat it ^_^

Great game! I loved how while the battle mechanics were simple enough to understand, it still ended up in every battle playing quite differently. I'm terrible at references so the only thing I  got was the Wicked Child theme from Castlevania on the vampire battle :P
The only battle that really gave me a hard time was the one with the princess I think? I killed the third member fast enough but then they kept protecting and healing themselves and the battle kind of dragged for more than it should because I wasn't coming up with a solid plan :P somehow I didn't die either, though.

Great job on the game, thanks for sharing! :)
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Racheal

• Tier 2
    • Ethereal Dreams
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 11:33:50 PM »
@Merlandese: That battle that gave you troubles was actually the start of the slippery slope that made every battle unique and reference-y, haha. Well, I suppose the final boss came first, but we were still going to have not referencing regular battles at that point. I do find it amusing that it seems that everyone has a different battle that gave them grief, though it's never the final one.

The frog is referencing who you think it is. We just don't remember why that name was picked.

Definitely glad we succeeded on the battle front, but the next step is definitely to apply it to a longer game.

And we're glad you enjoyed it.

@Reives: Oh hi there. Maki is fine. We're actually rooming together so it's even easier to work together! Too bad we're both responsible adults with fulltime jobs now, heh. EthD is still on the backburner while we use shorter projects to improve our skills. It is definitely getting close to the time to go back to it though. I kind of fiddle around with base systems about once a year or so.

@Ferdk: We definitely had a lot of fun picking songs. Having references picked out was both a blessing and a curse! (How do you pick a song for a cross between alcoholic beverages and urban mysteries?)

There was actually a slight oversight in the healing AI that made them very cockroachy when one party member was dead. It's not been fixed.

And thanks for playing!

---

As mentioned above, I've updated the download with a few minor tweaks and fixes. Nothing that really changes the game overall, but just things I noticed from watching people play and/or comments.
-Cleaned up the display of the enemy's HP/MP/BP
-Corrected an error that left the enemies with low starting BP; also gave Delila a minimum amount to start with if you finished the previous battle low
-Fixed a logical error in healing AI that made enemies that can heal particularly annoying after losing one ally
-Some slight adjustments to skill balances
-Tried to make the final battle a little harder since it's kind of annoying that due to lack of group synergy, it is not the hardest fight. Curse you lack of synergy for character reasons *shakes fist*
-Various minor typos
-Probably a few minor things that I've forgotten or aren't worth mentioning but they bugged me, so I fixed them

We'll give it another couple weeks and then we'll list off the numerous references in this game, most of which are probably too trivial and specific to be caught.

Kracken Kitty

• Tier 7
  • Sleepy Insomniac
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 04:00:28 AM »
I'm totally going to play this game now! :D The others like it, so I want to try it too! It looks awesome already, so let's give it a go! GO GO~~~~
Check out my art stuff! :D http://niorichi-art.tumblr.com/

Racheal

• Tier 2
    • Ethereal Dreams
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 11:56:30 PM »
I hope you enjoyed it if you did end up giving it a shot, Kracken Kitty : )

So originally we were just going to post a list of references in the game, but we thought it might be fun to mark the one month since release date with a livestream of us playing the game and mentioning all the little references and things that you might not have seen. So join us at
Maki's livestream channel
tomorrow at 8 pm GMT (1 pm MST / 3 pm EST) if you're interested.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:25:55 PM by Racheal »

Kracken Kitty

• Tier 7
  • Sleepy Insomniac
    • Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »
I did get to play it. :) It's easily a bestie for a short game!
Check out my art stuff! :D http://niorichi-art.tumblr.com/