Author Topic: North Korea and a Possible Korean War Part 2?  (Read 2312 times)

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
North Korea and a Possible Korean War Part 2?
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:22:59 AM »
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/28/world/asia/north-korea-us-threats/index.html

I have been thinking of this one in the past few days. We were supposed to have a Korean Language and Cultural Exposure Trip, but it may be cancelled because of this. Do you think Kim Jong Un is serious about waging a war against South Korea, the United States and possibly its allies? What are the things that may have motivated him to be hostile towards South Korean allies? What do you think will happen if this war (that everybody in mainstream media is predicting that could possibly happen) takes place?

Note: North Korea and South Korea only had an armistice, not a peace treaty with each other; this halted the Korean War decades back.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: North Korea and a Possible Korean War Part 2?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 01:37:48 AM »
I've been reading a lot about this whole thing, and for the most part the threats seem to be fairly empty.

This article was especially interesting: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/03/25/a-photo-that-makes-north-korea-look-a-lot-less-scary/

Spoiler: show

~

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Re: North Korea and a Possible Korean War Part 2?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 02:56:13 AM »
If they'd really attack I'd be fairly surprised. There is one simple reason: Democratic People's Republic of Korea doesn't have that much resources they brag about and they are also a state which has the highest demand on humanitarian resources on whole world provided by UN. Also it seems lately (like several years maybe tens of years) that their Big Brother China doesn't want to support their possible military operations against South Korea.
So in and out they just try to flash their teeth and muscles, but their muscles aren't that big and their teeth are artificial.

Also calculate with me:
If North Korea goes all out against South Korea it will sprout into short and bloody conflict where South Korean and American military rips the North Korea apart, due to their outdated technology and simply not being able to withstand and overwhelming air-force superiority which can be provided by US Air Force. There also might be other states joining up against North Korea and possibly even NATO might take action, which is probably the mightiest military organization on this planet. Then UN will cut all it's support leaving North Korea without it's main source of food.

In and out: It's like a six years old child trying to bully a late teenager while his mother is watching (by mother mean UN). Though this might be a bit more dangerous but still the North Korea almost certainly will not be supported by China in open conflict.
The threat would be more actual if China was in war-like state, but so far it seems that they're happy on how the things work for Chinese government and do not have need to pick up guns and throw themselves on the rest of the world. 
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)