Author Topic: Performance issues on Alienware M17x R3 (stupidly fast machine)  (Read 6485 times)

thrownaway

• Tier 2
Performance issues on Alienware M17x R3 (stupidly fast machine)
« on: November 01, 2011, 09:39:38 PM »
Hello,

Just bought TTM.  I'm experiencing noticeable performance problems with the game -- beginning as soon as I hit the menu and continuing through the gameplay.  Basically, I'm getting about 5-10FPS (frame jerk instead of intended animation... if a character walks left to right, they blink in and out along the path as it gets redrawn), input lag, and as the screen is redrawing, the tearing is noticeable.  Screen resolution is 1600x900.

This is on a machine with an i7 proc, ATI HD 6970M, SSD, and 16GB of RAM that can run Battlefield 3 on it's most absurdly taxing settings at 50+ fps, so I have some doubts that this should be occurring. 

It's disruptive enough that I actually had to give up on playing and come here to post, since it isn't minor enough to just live with.

Is this a known issue?  Anything I can do to address this?

Thanks,

TA

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
Re: Performance issues on Alienware M17x R3 (stupidly fast machine)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 10:26:58 PM »
I wish I could help, but I haven't heard anyone report this (Well, actually, I think I have, I just don't know the solution XD). What type of computer are you using? I think I heard about something like this for Vistas and Windows 7.

tuffalobuffalo

• Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 02:34:54 AM »
It's not an issue with your machine.  I'm running it fine on a desktop and on an M11x R2, although the M11x R2 is having goofy issues with Optimus.  Also, i noticed on both computers that fraps isn't even showing up, so this game is definitely running differently than most. 

I noticed when installing the game that it did some compatibility checks.  There were several things listed, but I didn't bother to look at them because they all passed.  Maybe try uninstalling and going through the install again to see what those specific things are.  You should pass them all.  When you probably pass, take a screenshot, and maybe someone can figure out what this game was developed in and how it is running.  It's runs a bit different from most any indy games I've played. 

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 04:14:29 AM »
Heya thrown. Hm, are you playing in windowed mode? The mouse tends to lag in windowed mode sometimes. Pressing F1 would also bring up a window that allow you to check on/off quality options to reduce lag.

thrownaway

• Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 04:13:41 PM »
Heya thrown. Hm, are you playing in windowed mode? The mouse tends to lag in windowed mode sometimes. Pressing F1 would also bring up a window that allow you to check on/off quality options to reduce lag.

Thanks for responding.

I tried in windowed mode and fullscreen (using alt+enter), but it didn't fix it.  I hugely downsized my desktop resolution which helped (to some extent, but did not "fix" it), and got better results when i moved to a non-letterbox aspect ratio. 

I never did figure out what the issue was (did not know about F1 at the time -- thanks for the tip), but seeing as the game was only 4 hours long, I just limped through it on the lower resolution.  The inclusion of keyboard controls (thank you!) allowed me to work around the obnoxious mouse input lag.

The fps issue still pretty obnoxious, but the story more than made up for it.  Thanks for putting it together!