Author Topic: Quarantine Updates Thread  (Read 766 times)

fenzil

• Tier 4
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Quarantine Updates Thread
« on: April 22, 2020, 01:25:28 PM »
So, with ongoing events, just about everyone in the world is stuck at home right now (or is out working an essential job).

How have you been handling it - catching up with games/anime? learning a new language? starting a new project? tackling a long novel? studying cryptography?

:platquack:

Personally, it's a little disappointing that my last couple months of college have to end this way. Some of my classes were a lot of fun in-person and not as fun online. But thanks to the lack of commute time, I've ended up with more free time to catch up on books and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. And I have to admit I've spent a lot of time aimlessly surfing the web like I did in my homeschooling high school days, back in 2014-15 when I was new to this forum.
"Let them hate me so long as they fear me."
- Emperor Platplat Freebirdius Augustus I

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
Re: Quarantine Updates Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 08:24:04 AM »
I got some holiday off from work due to the lockdown and I ended up reverting to what I was like in college- long lie-ins and binging anime. To be honest I quite like it.

Luckily in the UK you can still go out for 1 hour of exercise a day and you aren't limited to 40 feet from your house, so I've avoided going insane from being locked in.

This is probably the longest holiday like this (that is, just lazing about at home) I'll get until retirement so I'm making the most of it.
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true

fenzil

• Tier 4
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 07:40:05 PM »
I spent a few years like this as a teen - homeschooling most of high school followed by a year as a NEET before college. The desire to lay around at home is all out of my system due to that, which I'm usually happy about because it's made me more diligent and ambitious, but some laziness would come in handy right now.

My state here in the US doesn't have any specific restrictions on outside exercise, but there aren't any woods or open areas in my neighborhood.  Maybe I should join the indoor exercise Zoom sessions that my school uses as their excuse for not refunding the campus gym fee :P
"Let them hate me so long as they fear me."
- Emperor Platplat Freebirdius Augustus I

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 07:55:58 AM »
As for what to do with free time now, I still have to figure that out. There are so many things I've wanted to learn or books I've wanted to read over the years, not to mention projects to do. That would be good to spend time with - I'm far too good with wasting said time instead.

It's a weird time here in any case. It feels as though every day brings new changes in everyday life. So far most noticeably when out shopping, where things have gotten stricter all the time:
By now, you enter a supermarket and get told to use a cart no matter how much you need (sanitary wipes for the grip are free at least), to keep 2 m distance to other shoppers at all times, there are tape lines on the floor to ensure people line up at the till at a sufficient distance, announcements tell you to keep your distance, cashiers wear gloves and sit behind plexiglass shields and you are asked to pay with a card (paying cash used to be way more of a thing than in the States), but just in case you insist on cash, there's a little bowl the two of you shift back and forth in which you can deposit said cash. Some stores insist that only a certain amount of people are in there at all times.
And from next week on, everyone has to wear masks, although the details on in which circumstances you have to have one differ a little between states. There are tons of videos on how to make those yourself, with and without sewing. I'll try sewing a batch as my weekend project, wish me luck! Found a nice pattern even, but my sewing knowledge is really only about re-attaching buttons, darning socks and sloppily mending tears.

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 06:18:32 PM »
Welp, not bad for someone who doesn't even have a sewing machine.