Author Topic: Heritage and Culture Awkwardness  (Read 1764 times)

Dry Ice

• Tier 3
  • I'm a kid and the world is my candy shop.
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Heritage and Culture Awkwardness
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:48:57 PM »
I know the thread title is confusing, so allow me to explain:

I just called my paternal grandparents (who live in Canada) to wish them a happy Chinese New Year -- which in itself shouldn't be awkward, but my dad doesn't get along with his relatives so I'm kinda distant from that side of my family. But I don't think they want to be distant from us anymore and I don't want to be distant from them, so it's like we've been really slowly trying to rebuild bridges. And because I haven't been brought up around much Chinese culture, sometimes I feel like I say the wrong thing or I don't understand what they expect from me or how I should behave. And I really really want to be a good granddaughter because I think they're worried that I'm going to abandon my Chinese and/or Canadian heritage since I'm half-white and half-American... so sometimes I'm just like ??? :-[ :reivsweat: ahhhhhh hellooooo please let me love you.

...phew. It was one awkward yet gratifying phone call.

Have you guys have had similar experiences with your heritage/culture feeling really alien or awkward to you? Since there are so many people from so many places here, I'm really curious to hear about other awkward cultural problems. XD
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:55:46 PM by Dry Ice »

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Re: Heritage and Culture Awkwardness
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 04:12:14 AM »
This might be because I technically never got out of Europe, but I did not experienced much of social awkward situations, because here culture is probably more homogeneous then in America, though I probably can image that this could really be awkward to have limited knowledge of own heritage might prove quite disadvantageous.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)