Author Topic: Darkness Rebirth[NEW prerelease"Demo" Now Up!]  (Read 21089 times)

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
Darkness Rebirth[NEW prerelease"Demo" Now Up!]
« on: October 02, 2008, 08:48:56 PM »
After awhile of working on this widely unknown game, I thought now might be a good time to bring it out of the shadows.

Darkness Rebirth takes place in Celenath, a world where religion is everything. Politics, Economy, even every day life is tied to something many in our world consider trivial. This is because living sacrifices generate magical energy. Those who lead religions, and consequently have sacrifices done in their name, are known as deities. Deities can grant their magic to their followers as they see fit. Deities can also see into the mind of their followers, granting them the ability to see whether that person is completely devoted to their cause.

But there is one anomaly in this system, they are known as Chosens. A Chosen is someone who can hold very little magical energy, but has it constantly generating at a slow rate. If a Chosen was able to transfer their magic to other people, this would do a great deal in doing away with the religious wars for magical energy. But something in being a Chosen shuts them off from outside mental contact. They cannot send or receive magic, nor can they form a link with a deity. Chosens have little to do with the religious affairs of their world, since no deity would be willing to trust a Chosen as their follower. One is not born a Chosen, one can become a Chosen at any time. When this happens, you have very few options for what to do in life. Most frequently, Chosens live as mercenaries or bounty hunters. Although they have constantly generating magical energy, they can hold so little that they are all but useless in large scale battles.

Story:

Spoiler: show

Around a thousand years before the story of Darkness Rebirth takes place, legend tells of The Hero of Light, a Chosen. This Chosen lived in the time when Omega, The God of Darkness was covering the world with his dark mist: The Shroud. Setting out on a quest to save his world from the destruction of Omega, The Hero of Light wielded The Legacyblade to combat the forces of darkness. After an epic battle with The God of Darkness, E-min sealed Omega away in a sword, which was taken to Melbyreth by a powerful demigod to keep it out of the hands of those who would seek to release their old master. The Hero of Light was crowned king over all Celenath, and the world was at peace for a time. But when The Hero of Light's tyrannical son took the throne, Celenath fell into chaos, torn apart from wars. The Legacyblade, the sign of The High God's guiding hand, was taken from Celenath, and a thousand years of wars has ensued.

Our story starts when a powerful darkling storms a fortress of The Remission alone. The Remission is an organization who's goal is to wrest Celenath from the grip of the squabbling tyrants that control it, and establish a council to rule over it with justice. Nethera and his two companions, Esnuil and Anithiel, are called to go on a journey to reclaim the fortress, and defeat the powerful darkling therein. Although they don't understand why only three people are being sent, they reluctantly comply.

Features:

• Original character graphics
  • Breathtaking cinematics
  • Immersive custom music
  • A gripping story filed with plot twists
  • Action packed gameplay
  • Class Changing System
  • Countless optional subplots and sidequests.
Battle System:

For a battle system, Darkness Rebirth features the BlizzABS. The BlizzABS has more advanced AI than any other ABS, and has very efficient coding. So even lower end computers can enjoy the full gameplay experience with little to no lag. Hours are being spent designing the stats of all the weapons, skills, classes, actors, and enemies, so the experience will be challenging, but balanced. Unlike most RMXP RPGs where the items and weapons feel like they were tossed into the game with little overall thought to how balanced the gameplay was, Darkness Rebirth carefully wieghs all the factors needed to make the gameplay rich, enjoyable, challenging, and balanced.

Characters

Nethera:

When Nethera was young, he was a normal kid. Living a happy carefree life in an out of the way village, life was good. But one day...everything changed. A priest of Lord Mauver, a powerhungry deity, had come. If they refused to supply him a sacrifice, the entire town would be burned. Nethera's Brother was the sacrifice.

Years later, he joins the Remission, a cruel and warped darkling. He believes all deities should die, that they are just tyrants praying off the lifeforce of others. He has become more bloodthirsty and cruel than even the most corrupt of deities. Powerful both with blade and with magic, Nethera quickly climbs through the ranks. But due to his personality, he is never put in a position of leadership, he is just an elite fighter.

Nethera is in love with Anithiel, someone who despises darklings like Nethera.

Esnuil:

Esnuil is a decedent of the legendary Hero of Light. Since The Hero of Light was transformed into an ancient race, who's distinct features were their strange eyes, which appeared to be a mass of swirling blue, it is obvious that his claim about his linage is true. Since this ancient race, The Othilians, were once considered the high race, chosen of The High God, Esnuil is arrogant, and looks at himself as above the non-Othilian "Lessers". Despite this, Ensuil is a generally likable guy, and has many good traits. In addition to his marvelous strength, one of his greatest attributes is his ability to set about a task with single minded concentration.

Esnuil is in a position of leadership in The Remission, but is still under the command of the Swordsmasters of his division of The Remission. He is used to others taking him seriously, and fearing his immense strength (which is a result of his race). This makes Nethera's seeming lack of respect towards anyone, especially Ensuil, infuriate him beyond reason.

Anithiel:

Anithiel grew up knowing that she would be a member of The Remission when she was old enough. Although she wasn't to thrilled about her family deciding this for her, she consented to be put through combat training from a young age. She always wanted to have other girls for friends, and experience romance rather than just hear about it, but due to her rigorous training schedule, was unable to fill either of these desires.

Because of how she was raised, she learned to respect authority, and be generally courteous and kind, but she never hesitates to tell people what she thinks on a subject. (even if it will make them angry). She excels at the use of the bow, and quickly climbed through the ranks of The Remission.

Ensuil's arrogance annoys her, but that is nothing compared to the deep loathing she has for Nethera. Nethera is a bloodthirsty, sarcastic, cynical, and cruel darkling, whereas she does her best to do what's right, and be kind to people. She has no idea of his feelings for her, since he doesn't do anything to show them.

Screen shots

This one features something you see quite frequently in DR, sprite interaction used to make the cutscenes more real, and gripping.  It takes a lot longer to do this, but it makes DR one of the best RPGs made with RMXP.

I know that's not a good tent, I'm working on making a new one. This mainly serves to show off my custom spriting, as well as the spriting effects done with posing.

If you want to help with this project, PM me.
PRERELEASE "DEMO"

mirror(updated)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 11:41:12 AM by legacyblade »

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Darkness Rebirth
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 08:52:44 PM »
Lol I was kidding, don't be pressured. :P

Again, love the sprites. The edits really make a difference, and are rather well done. The plain grass part where it connects with the castle in the first screenshot looks a little weird, like the castle wasn't set to the ground - I think putting some overgrown grass at the walls might help. I'll leave more feedback for the future.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
Oops, forgot to update that screenshot. I'll do that now.

And I'm glad you like the sprites. I think custom graphics really help make the character more original (which is why I'm also learning to draw, so i can make the facesets). I'd rather have high quality on the first release, because that's how I am: I hate redoing work. And I just didn't think about posting it here, I just copied and pasted, XD

Thanks for the feedback, btw

Sarkilas

• Tier 6
  • That guy
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 08:37:41 AM »
This looks nice. I like certain parts of the story, whereas certain points seem to be slightly cliché, then again, it's very hard to avoid. I think you did a good job coming up with this.

The sprites are well made, and I just love interactions and several poses. Too bad I don't have the skills to do this myself.

Oh, and what's wrong about that tent? It looks fine to me, apart from having those tall torches in there. Careful!  :P

If you ever need any scripts, you could always ask me. I'm not the best one around, but I would say I'm pretty decent at that.

Good luck with this!

Need scripting help? Toss me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
Also able to help with anything RMXP related. Please do not hesitate to ask.

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 03:03:44 PM »
Hey Legacy, what's the ETA now?

Reives, once it's out, maybe you can see all the new songs i write, and take revenge by mercilessly ripping them to shreds. Just like I do for you. ;)
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 09:54:22 PM »
ETA? within the next month, if things go well. I'm learning to draw as I go, so I can have facesests...ugh, its annoying. and Sarkilas, I know some parts seem cliche, but most of it (aka Omega wanting to destroy the world) has a reason. I just don't want to spoil the story :P

and abi, there's not much about your songs that could be ripped to shreads.

@Sarkilas, I've got that pretty well covered. I learned to script a few weeks ago, and all I really need it for is minigame programming. But I'll keep your offer in mind, in case I get overloaded with scripting tasks for DR.

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 02:38:18 AM »
I like the first screenshot :p it needs an atomsphere touch but its good :p the second is a little boring [x but you know I love ya legacy xD
This quote will be legend

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 02:45:30 AM »
Hey Legacy, what's the ETA now?

Reives, once it's out, maybe you can see all the new songs i write, and take revenge by mercilessly ripping them to shreds. Just like I do for you. ;)
You rip my songs to shreds? :'( I couldn't tell. I'm going to go cry in the corner now knowing that.

But really, I'm looking forward to hearing your new songs. I've only heard one I think, and it was rather well done.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 03:43:23 AM »
I just meant my unnecessarily harsh criticisms. Yeah, what I meant was, I'm looking forward to you hearing them. (And unnecessarily harshly criticising them. I promise I won't cry too much.)
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 03:47:25 AM »
Eh, really? I reread a few and honestly don't see them as that harsh at all. But sure, if you ask for them.  8)

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 04:15:58 AM »
But really, I'm looking forward to hearing your new songs. I've only heard one I think, and it was rather well done.
Well, there was the creepy pop song with the techno structure...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 08:43:37 AM by abigailian »

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 02:26:49 PM »
@Sizzle, atmosphere? what do you mean? a fog? If you could elaborate, that'd be great, as it'd help me know what to do. And I know the second is boring, but it's a tent x_x if you're in an army, you're not going to be toting lots of nicknacks around for the main meeting tent. I thought even the table was a bit of a stretch, XD

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 03:17:27 PM »
Well, there was the creepy pop song with the techno structure...
"Creepy"? D: Creepy + pop + techno = confuses me. Guess I'll have to wait to hear what it's like.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 04:57:38 PM »
You mean you don't remember 'Order vs. Chaos?'

http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=321.0

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:31:43 AM by Question Mark? »

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 09:41:37 PM »
Just so you know, the demo will be released on Nov 20th