Poll

Ending - Happy or Sad?

Happy
23 (45.1%)
Sad
28 (54.9%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Ending - Happy or Sad? (SPOILERS)  (Read 18398 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Ending - Happy or Sad? (SPOILERS)
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 08:57:33 AM »
Interesting. You're the first person to interpret the final memory montage as a resurfacing of old memories, rather than a compilation of the new ones.

Pyroriffic

• Tier 1
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 01:50:36 PM »
Despite the fact that I'm sitting here with my eye make up smeared in a most un-ladylike way across my face, I think the end is happy. Because ultimately, Johnny's wish to 'go to the moon' was a metaphorical desire to be reunited with River. The doctors interpreted his desire literally and ultimately came up with a physical way to grant that wish - but in a manner by which they went together.

So... he got what he wanted and took away an added bonus of memories of what his brother could have been. And to grant a dying man such peace and closure? How can that not be happy...

Hang on...

It's WAS just a game, right?

:plat:

Volcanon

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 10:27:13 AM »
I think the game has a very happy ending. They fulfilled Johnny's wish to get him to the moon, and they saw the deeper meaning behind it. I think he had made that request because subconsciously part of him was hoping that River would be there waiting for him. They couldn't change the past of course, but the guy was on his death bed and about to die with this gaping mystery surrounding River and her obsession with making origami rabbits/etc., and if he just died right there, it never would have been resolved. Not having River a part of his life was a good move because, while his memory of her was wiped, at least it wasn't replaced with a false version of her. While River was not part of his new memories, it seems like the new memory is a testament to how much he loved her (even if he would have no idea of this) by doing the impossible and fulfilling a promise he made to her in a very literal way (ie actually going the moon). It's like some part of him still knew River was a part of his life, but with his memories being altered, going to the moon would be the only way he could see her again.

I also think that if they simply restored his memory, he would have died even more heartbroken since he would have realized why River was obsessing over the moon the way she was. That would have been really sad...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:41:20 AM by Volcanon »
"A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the s*** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come." - Det. Lester Freamon (The Wire)

Pretzle

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 03:11:50 PM »
More happy than sad in my opinion.

From Neil's and Eva's viewpoint: They managed their job.
And for Johnny? He got to die experiencing what he had pretty much always wanted.

It's sad because of everything that happened and everything that could've happened but never did (or didn't really). Mostly though I think I voted 'happy' because it's an ending that made me ... not exactly feel happy but fulfilled, and that's good.

~ Searching for a lunar rainbow ~

dejaqwho

• Tier 2
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 10:28:30 PM »
I am so disappointed in the ending that it kind of clouds it for me...but I would have to say now it was a happy ending, done very badly.

Its the kind of ending where when you watch a series (show) that has self contained episodes and something bad or mysterious happens in the beginning and in the end everything turns out ok, and wonderful, and all along you knew it would (its so cliche)....except I had such high hopes through first 2 Acts that I told my self this is going to be a great ending, only to be let down in a big way.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 02:12:43 AM »
I don't think it turned out that good. Yeas Johnny had a "happy live" thanks to machine, but that was nothing more than just an illusion for which the machine was build to begin with.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 07:50:50 PM »
g and in the end everything turns out ok, and wonderful, and all along you knew it would (its so cliche)

Apparently we played completely different games.
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

dejaqwho

• Tier 2
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 03:59:07 AM »
Sure seems that way.

The writer(s) didn't make a hard choice for the ending which would have made it great, instead we got a little simplistic happy ending.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 04:31:23 AM »
And how would you imagine the ending then?
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Ferdk

• Tier 7
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 08:54:41 PM »
Sure seems that way.

The writer(s) didn't make a hard choice for the ending which would have made it great, instead we got a little simplistic happy ending.

The ending is not happy. Think it through. They changed Johnny's memories 2 seconds before he died. He still died. River still died without him knowing, their life was what it was and nothing really changed other than Johnny's state of mind just before dying.
You could try to enlighten us what would be the "hard choice" you keep telling us, and why it is apparently the only way to finish the game.

Pilgrim

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 07:26:10 PM »
I've just finished To The Moon (in one sitting I might add - what a game!) and I've got some thoughts on whether the ending was happy or sad.

At first, when I read the question, I was going to immediately hit 'sad.' I mean, Johnny's life was sad. His twin brother died when they were young, his earliest memory of River is all but erased, he lives with a continual confusion around River's strange behaviour that leads to resentment. Finally, he has an unexplainable desire to go to the moon.

While the doctors can fill him up with a nice 'alternative life' filled with happy memories - that's all they are. They're false, and for everyone else concerned, that never happened. It's most heartbreaking to know that River died before Johnny was given the opportunity to remember their first meeting.

Then it struck me. That first meeting at the carnival wasn't a fake memory - that actually happened.

That memory was so powerful to River that she dedicated a good portion of her life with Johnny trying to help him remember it. It's such phenomenal storytelling that at first we're led to believe that it's just River's mental illness that causes her to do strange things: Make paper bunnies, be so attached to a lighthouse, keep a stuffed platypus, cut her hair. She's reliving that memory - she just wants Johnny to remember it as well - more than anything - more than living. She wants that first night.

And then, thanks to the doctors, he does. River gets her wish.

It's never about going to the moon. The title could be "Remembering that night." It means the same thing. Johnny's only memory of that first night is that "If we get lost, we'll just meet up on the moon."

It's about remembering that night at the carnival, when two kids fell in love and didn't even realise it. The rest of the memories after that aren't made up by the doctors - they're constructed by Johnny himself. They make a big point of that in the story. Just before he dies, his very last memory is just what River wanted.

So I think it's a hopeful ending. That even though River wasn't alive to see Johnny remember that first night, that's all she ever wanted for him. Though she couldn't prompt him with paper bunnies and living next to a lighthouse, that one lingering memory broke through the beta blockers and gave him that last desire to 'get to the moon' which led to him remembering that first night, and gave Johnny and River their happy ending after all.

And that, dear friends, is how you tell a love story. Bravo, Freebird. Bravo.

Ferdk

• Tier 7
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 08:06:12 PM »
I don't wanna rain on your parade but I don't think Johnny actually ever remembered that one night. If he did, he would've gone to the carnival (in the new memories) as promised, yet he didn't meet river until NASA, and it appears as if he doesn't recognize her. The fact that he manifested his desire to go to the moon is still a byproduct of that strong feeling he has from that memory (just like before the doctor did anything, he already wanted to go to the moon).
I'm not sure if there's definite proof that he didn't remember, but to me it seems like that's the case. I definitely don't remember any hint that he did remember.

Pilgrim

• Tier 2
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 08:17:22 PM »
Don't worry about raining on my parade - the story is still a beautiful one.

In my mind though, I thought that River was only 'moved' from the school meeting memory - so they never initially 'dated' and didn't have much to do with each other - that way she wouldn't get in the way of the contract being fulfilled as Johnny wouldn't have focused on becoming an astronaut. Eva was just hoping that (based on that first stargazing memory) Johnny would place River in NASA with him. Call it love - "meeting up on the moon." I don't know why River would have gone to NASA otherwise, if Johnny didn't know her in order to place her in his memory.

I think a second playthrough will make things clearer.

I guess If the first night meeting never took place in the reconstructed memories, as you say, then them meeting for the first time at NASA is actually still just as hopeful, and actually very similar - as them going to the moon together is just the same as them stargazing on a log as children. It's that first night memory, just when they're adults.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:47:12 PM by Pilgrim »

Ferdk

• Tier 7
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 10:30:22 PM »
Oh, no no, the stargazing DID happen, what I meant is Johnny didn't remember it even in the new memories (if he did, he would've gone to the fair next year, as he promised to River).

And yes, she was moved from the school for the exact reasons you mentioned :)

River shows up in NASA because Johnny wants it (which doesn't mean he remembers, he feels it, like when he decided to hire Sigmund Corp).

Still, as I said, I'm not sure if my interpretation of him not remembering is confirmed anywhere in the game, so I may be wrong :P

Pilgrim

• Tier 2
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 02:26:24 AM »
Well he may have gone to the fair next year - that might just be a memory we didn't get to see. They might have met up at the fair every year until they started going to school. Who knows?

But anyway, I understand what you mean now, and I agree. I think it makes a lovely story either way - it was River's dying wish that Johnny remember that magical first night, and that the memory would be preserved. It was Johnny's dying wish too - he just didn't know it at the time.

In the end they both got their wish.