Poll

Ending - Happy or Sad?

Happy
23 (45.1%)
Sad
28 (54.9%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Ending - Happy or Sad? (SPOILERS)  (Read 18402 times)

AdamLazaruso

• Tier 1
Ending - Happy or Sad? (SPOILERS)
« on: January 17, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »
I think it's quite sad when you think that none of the stuff with Joey surviving and Johnny going to the moon with River actually happened. Instead Johnny lived a pretty sad life in which his brother died when he was young, he forgot his first meeting with the love of his life which always left her a little resentful, and their marriage was plagued by River's mental health issues.

It's like the ending in which we saw him go to the moon was a display of what could have been rather than what actually was.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Ending - Happy or Sad? (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 04:05:23 PM »
Where is the option bittersweet?
But I think it's a bit more sad than happy.
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 03:08:46 PM »
I agree. Ambiguity is human, and this whole game's appeal is in its gray area, especially concerning the "right" or "wrong" of the technology's use. I'll hang on the fence with those guys. XD
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:10:27 PM by Merlandese »

Dry Ice

• Tier 3
  • I'm a kid and the world is my candy shop.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »
Another one for the fence. :)

The beauty of the ending is that at first you feel really happy and triumphant, seeing that rocket shoot into space. But then the sadder context sinks in -- Joey never actually lived that life, River died knowing that Johnny didn't remember their first meeting -- and you just kind of sit there not knowing how you should feel about the whole thing. It's really bittersweet, and you get the feeling that life isn't really happy or sad, just strange sometimes.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 04:36:27 PM »
Seems like we live in Binary world...
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 10:02:23 PM »
I'm sitting on the fence, and boy is it comfy. :seraismile:

Spoiler: show

~

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 07:58:01 AM »
Or change the question to "Is the ending more happy or more sad?"
Otherwise everyone will choose the bittersweet option.

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 08:06:32 AM »
Or change the question to "Is the ending more happy or more sad?"

Do this, make them all use some effort thinking about it.

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 11:12:49 PM »
It's happy at first glance, but sad when you remember the premise. Still, since we began the game knowing that these memories aren't going to be real anyway, it's still happier than what we'll have expected. You can't have a golden happy ending with this kind of premise unless Johnny is miraculously cured of his illness and River comes back to life.

Archeus9

• Tier 2
  • Enjoy life with all of your being
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 02:30:19 PM »
I registered to answer in depth. I'll vote Sad. Mostly because lets be real, the new memories he was brought to was a lie. As nice as it was for him to be happy there at the end.

now onto the other discussion. I personally don't think technology should ever be used to alter a persons memories, its just wrong. A memories are what make a person, for good or for bad.

In my humble opinion, the worst use of "technology" wasn't even the scientists machine. It was the beta blockers. His mom never should have used those on him. Don't get me wrong, its sad for a kid to lose his brother. But its even more sad for someone to ruin another's life by blocking the very essence of what makes them a human being and what shapes them as individuals, their experiences and memories.

Furthermore on that subject, who's to say that due to the loss of his brother, it wouldn't have just made river that more of a friend, as he would have remember the rabbit thing and befriended her naturally.

Long story short... people should NEVER with another's memories. IT is just the ultimate wrong in my opinion.
"The acquisition of knowledge  is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being truly known." - Leo Da Vinci

Gogobrasil8

• Tier 3
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 10:03:56 PM »
I Think that end was quite happy, at least he died relaxed, thinking that he realised everything that he wanted.
Lunair >> all

To the Moon - Finished
Do you remember my lullaby? - Finished
The Mirror Lied - Finished
Quintessence - Finished (Sorta, of course.)
A Bird`s Story - Finished

:plat:<- I love This Smiley

Twitter: @gogobrasil8_br

goofy_goober_95

• Tier 2
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 01:59:11 AM »
Honestly, I think the ending was sad. Yes, you see the rocket ship blast off and feel happy for Johnny, but then he dies. Then you never remember that all of it was fake. Johnny making it to NASA, Joey becoming a famous writer, all of Johnny's dream life. Fake. Not to mention that River never knew about it because she was dead before the game started. yeah, this is easily the saddest game I've ever played. even the people who are helping me with my playthough of the game think it is sad and depressing.

SXENedger

• Tier 2
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 12:28:50 AM »
May sound strange, but I'm gonna vote for happy. In her later years of life, all River wanted was for John to remember the first time they met and all they shared that day, and the promise that if they become separated, they will meet again on the moon. Although the doctors alter John's memories from the moment his brother would have died, they also give him back the memories he had lost, meaning that before he passed, John did remember meeting River as a child again.

I'm gonna go into "theory" mode here. After John dies and a few of the credits show, a quick clip shows River as a child sitting on a log on a sea of white underneath the stars, then John appears and gives her back the platypus, then takes a seat next to her. This can't be a memory, because John is dead and the program is no longer running.

We can assume that the moon in the story is a metaphor for Heaven or another form of afterlife. When River dies, she keeps her promise to John and waits for him on the moon. But if John can't remember that promise, he won't know where to go to find her after he passes. Meaning that if events were left as they were and John died with his childhood memories locked away, poor River could have been waiting on that log for John for the rest of eternity! But Niel and Eva remind John at the last moment that River will be waiting for him on the moon, so when his time comes, his spirit knows exactly where to go. John is able to return to River in the next life, and they never have to be alone again.

Of course this depends on a level of interpretation and spirituality that isn't directly stated in the game. But I find it difficult to believe that last clip of John and River was put in there as a residual memory.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »
May sound strange, but I'm gonna vote for happy. In her later years of life, all River wanted was for John to remember the first time they met and all they shared that day, and the promise that if they become separated, they will meet again on the moon. Although the doctors alter John's memories from the moment his brother would have died, they also give him back the memories he had lost, meaning that before he passed, John did remember meeting River as a child again.

I'm gonna go into "theory" mode here. After John dies and a few of the credits show, a quick clip shows River as a child sitting on a log on a sea of white underneath the stars, then John appears and gives her back the platypus, then takes a seat next to her. This can't be a memory, because John is dead and the program is no longer running.

We can assume that the moon in the story is a metaphor for Heaven or another form of afterlife. When River dies, she keeps her promise to John and waits for him on the moon. But if John can't remember that promise, he won't know where to go to find her after he passes. Meaning that if events were left as they were and John died with his childhood memories locked away, poor River could have been waiting on that log for John for the rest of eternity! But Niel and Eva remind John at the last moment that River will be waiting for him on the moon, so when his time comes, his spirit knows exactly where to go. John is able to return to River in the next life, and they never have to be alone again.

Of course this depends on a level of interpretation and spirituality that isn't directly stated in the game. But I find it difficult to believe that last clip of John and River was put in there as a residual memory.

That's a lovely interpretation.

MuEnLi

• Tier 2
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 02:25:07 AM »
I actually just registered an account just to give my two cents as well. At first I thought that the ending was sad but after further reflecting upon it, I think it was happy only because despite having Johnny's memories altered, in the end he does remember everything including his real memories. In the middle of his ascent into space, there is a nostalgic flashback where all his original memories fall back into place before it goes back to the fake memory where he finally expires. Whether Johnny realizes that his space memories are fake or not, I am not sure, but it does show that both memories are shown before he expires. I would like to think that he is able to make that distinction.
In that sense, I feel rather bittersweet throughout the entire experience because altering one's memories does not change the fact that it is not real. The brain will believe that it is real but not the soul, so if anything it is an escape from reality which is nothing more than a virtual hospice if you will and a guided euthanasia since those who use this memory altering technology do not survive after the process.
I really like SXENedger's take into the discussion and I find that his explanation is quite convincing as well. It's just too bad Johnny never got to remember his childhood promise to River. You could even argue that River was trying her best to have Johnny remember his love for space and the moon, which could have resulted in him becoming an astronaut as well. Also, throughout the entire game, we are constantly reminded that there is a lack of connection seen between River and Johnny in their relationship, and we can only gestimate that this lack of connection is due to his repressed memory since River seemed more loving in his fake memories. I would like to believe in conjunction to SXENedge's view that with the doctor's help in re-surfacing his memories, Johnny was able to meet with River in heaven using his real memories.
Again, thank you for a wonderful game Freebird, I would definitely play future sequels to this title. It was amazing!