Author Topic: Full HD Screenshots for Review  (Read 4964 times)

Onizuka

• Tier 2
Full HD Screenshots for Review
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:36:20 AM »
Greetings!

Iím starting a review for this awesome piece of musical storytelling known as To The Moon.

I play it on a 24Ē Full HD monitor, in full screen, and Iím trying to take some screenshots for the review.
However, I noticed that the screens taken with the Print Screen key are automatically resized at a resolution of 640x480.

Yet, Iíve seen on the Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/206440 some 1920x1080 (Full HD) screenshots, so I was wondering: How can I take photos at that resolution?

If it is possible somehow, Iíll greatly appreciate if someone here could tell me, so that I could post them in the review.

Thanks! :plat:

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Full HD Screenshots for Review
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:45:34 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't recommend using pictures bigger than 640x480 in a review anyway, unless it's a video review of course. :vikonsmile:

You can take Steam Screenshots in-game by pressing F12(default). Have you tried that?

Spoiler: show

~

Onizuka

• Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:54:43 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

Oh, the screenshots would be of 600 width in the review, but with the Facebox code, by clicking on them they would enlarge to 1920x1080 (2 sizes of screens uploaded then). And also Full HD for the Gallery.

I've just tried using F12 to take the Steam Screenshots as you suggested, but it just pauses the game. Hmm, anything I'm missing? :platquack:

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 07:02:21 AM »
Hmm, that's weird. I guess it might be because the default pause button is F12. Maybe try changing the Steam screenshot button? Just go Settings → In-Game → Screenshot shortcut keys.

~

Onizuka

• Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 07:20:25 AM »
I might be missing a few pieces of the puzzle here... If I press F1 in-game I find the Settings Menu, but for some reason the mouse stops working (is that normal?).

Are those the Settings you were talking about?

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 07:24:05 AM »
Nope he meant in steam.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Onizuka

• Tier 2
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 07:29:40 AM »
Ahh, but I didn't get the game on Steam! Sorry for the misunderstanding. Steam is only the place where I found those HD screenshots. I don't even have a Steam account... Do I need one to edit those Settings or take screenshots?

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 08:18:38 AM »
Well I'm not 100% sure on this, but when xp games are full screen, isn't it just a stretched 640x480? Maybe that's why it only take the small shots.

~

Onizuka

• Tier 2
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »
I play on Windows 7, but yeah, I think the resolution is automatically stretched...

Therefore, is the true Full HD screenshot only something available if I had bought the game through Steam? I mean, the game offered by Steam does have a 1920x1080 resolution option?

Thanks for the help.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 11:03:26 AM »
No engine of this game cannot surpass 640x480. I dunno how they have these 1080 but they might just enlarge and clear the pictures from 640x480 to 1080.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Onizuka

• Tier 2
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 11:35:24 AM »
I've tried to resize an in-game screenshot from 640x480 to 1920x1080 resolution through Photoshop, but the offect looks compressed/flattened, while on those Steam images it really looks like Full HD.

Perhaps some of the developers here could clarify this?

Zeriab

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 12:31:48 PM »
The engine is 640x480.
Some video drivers may do this 640x480 -> 1920x1080 conversion for you, but then either the image will get squashed or black borders will be added.
But what we have here is something different because the aspect ratio is preserved.
My guess is that the image was blown up to 300% (640x480 -> 1920x1440) and then following cut down.
Maybe there are also video drivers allowing that? I dunno.

You can see the aspect ratio quite clearly on this image:

Do note that the night is the cause of the different lightning.
Note also the many artifacts. This is caused by the jpeg compression format.
It's great for pictures, but bad for pixelart. Please use (Portable Network Graphics) png instead.
Here is for example a 1920x1080 screenshot I did with the Magnifier on 300% saved in .png format: http://www.webgel.net/bf/s_magnifer-300.png
The size was 330 kb compared to the 300 kb for the related steam jpg picture. Definitely worth the extra size in my opinion.

Unfortunately the picture shrinks a bit when I used the magnifier, so I suggest taking 640x480 pictures and blowing them up 200% or 300% if you want higher res pictures.

I look forward to reading your review :)

Onizuka

• Tier 2
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
Thank you for the thorough reply.

I did a few tests by resizing the photo at 300% and if I didnít misunderstand your explanation (I might have, considering my low editing skills) then I had to manually cut a bit of it (or else it would be flattened), but on that Steam page it doesnít seem they cut pieces of the screen to reach 1080 height:

http://cdn2.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/206440/ss_edee6b77fa9948845500b14af3db7c887a8f5819.1920x1080.jpg?t=1351640410

Sorry if I didn't understand your explanation, in case!

As for my Review... Oh, it's for an Italian website, so I don't know how much you'd understand... But if interested I'll gladly post it here, too, when I'm done. :)

Rayen

• is on an emotional roller-coaster.
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Forum Semi-Lurker
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 02:03:23 PM »
If you are using Photoshop and don't want any type of anti-aliasing (the blurring that comes from resizing): when in the Image resize window, make sure that "Nearest Neighbor (Preserve hard edges)" is selected in the drop-down menu at the bottom of the window.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:05:15 PM by Rayen »

-----
That smile you see upon my face? That's nothing more than just a mask.