Author Topic: Gun control  (Read 7322 times)

Unimaginative Username

Re: Gun control
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 10:01:21 PM »
How about reforming psychological help. I can go and buy a gun in a store within the next hour, but I can't get mental help without going through an entire process! We don't need gun control, we already have enough of that. We need more psychological help for those who it.
If you can obtain a gun in an hour the gun control laws and regulations are in no way strict enough. I believe a better solution would be to first make an application process to buying guns even if you have a licence and incorporate psychological tests into the process  with regular check-ups in a similar way Lance said. If you don't show up your guns and licence are forfeited. This would prevent guns from being easily acquired and slows down the time it takes for someone to buy one. Now, this does not ban any weapons but instead makes the acquisition of guns take more time and more difficult, hopefully rooting out some high risk people or those with psychological problems before they have a gun. People who want guns for sport can still buy them it will just take a bit longer.

People will kill people regardless of what guns we ban. You can look up ways to modify Nerf guns and turn them into weapons. You can YouTube "how to make a bomb" and make a bomb in no time. Guns may be weapons, but they are not the only means to kill.
We have to remember that lest we take away the right to defend oneself.
Guns are not the only means to kill but they are certainly easier than the alternatives, especially for killing lots people in a short space of time. Things such as modified nerf guns would be too ineffective and bombs are difficult to use, other countries with higher gun restrictions do not have problems with mass killings with "alternative" weaponry. I have a licence for a bow, it would be extremely difficult to get it into a public place without being seen let alone start killing multiple people with it.

Speaking of rights, I believe that guns are a basic right. They are something we need not only for sport or defense, but as a repellant against a dictatorial establishment were it to be created. People should have a check on their military in case the military goes against the people. So many dictators have come to power and the people been able to do nothing about it.
Guns will not help the general population fight dictators for these reasons:
  • The rebel fighters will only have the weapons they could obtain before an uprising; however, the military will posses better weaponry, equipment, and not to mention vehicles than any rebel fighter groups.
  • Ammo will be in short supply for rebels; however, the military will be within it's home country so logistics should not be a problem.
  • The rebels would lack training and would be ineffective when dealing with organized military units.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:05:09 PM by The-PurpleOrange »

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 03:35:38 AM »
Put a bunch of guys in a room with a deck of cards, they're gonna play cards. Put them in a room with guns, and someone's gonna get shot.

Spoiler: show

~

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 05:58:13 AM »
As a holder of Firearms licence I must stand by some points that are omitted in Gun laws in America. From my point of view there should be firearms licence and they should enforce securing of obtained guns. I'll shortly point out how are gun laws here in Czech. The gun laws here are in my opinion very well build and there is not really that much gun related crimes.

trimmed license information for space reasons ~Harrison

Now if they'd tighten laws in America in style of licence categories, licence trials and law that would force owners to secure their guns I think there would be a reduction in cases like this.
Here we have tight laws for ownership of military styled rifles. Civilians must meet some hard requirements if they want obtain a weapon that is full-auto fire-able. Also if you have gun like this the police is permitted to visit your house to inspect a security you have on this type of gun.

That sounds a lot like what I just read about Australia's system, and I wouldn't mind a system along those lines at all.  I'm wary on the banning of semiautomatics for civilians in that one though, mostly because they're fun. I wouldn't miss much though if that did happen, however.
We have really free gun laws compared to Australia (I know two guys from Australian military so I've been talking with them about this topic as a fellow gun enthusiast) but still stricter than those I know about America.
I kind of wanted to avoid this part because it's a bit confusing for some people. We have a gun categories that are from A-D and sometimes they're confused with gun licence categories. A, B and C categories of guns are those for which you need a firearms licence to hold and they're registered by police. You need a reason and special permission to hold anything from category A as a civilian (and also there comes the law that police can go to your home and check if the gun is properly secured).

Category A- Restricted firearms
Includes full automatic firearms, military firearms and ammunition not inspected and marked for civilian use, some types of ammunition such as armor piercing and incendiary ammunition, night vision scopes, suppressors and gun mounted laser pointers. The use of hollow point ammunition in pistols is also restricted, however, hollow points are legal to purchase for rifles and pistol carbines.
Category B- Guns requiring permit
Includes semi automatic and single or multiple shot handguns, revolvers, semi automatic rifles and shotguns with magazine capacity over 3 rounds or with a detachable magazine, semi automatic military style rifles, rim-fire firearms under 280 mm of length and all shotguns under 600 mm of length.
Category C- Guns requiring registration
Includes single shot or bolt action rifles, shotguns, semi-automatic rifles not included in B, air rifles with muzzle energy over 16 J and black powder repeaters.
D - Guns available to adults above 18
Includes air guns (muzzle energy up to 16 J), mechanical guns, replicas (black powder), airsoft guns, vintage firearms (manufactured prior to 1890), expansion guns and .22 CB cap (up to muzzle energy of 6,5 J).

Put a bunch of guys in a room with a deck of cards, they're gonna play cards. Put them in a room with guns, and someone's gonna get shot.
If those guns are loaded.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 04:03:22 PM »

HipsterPie

• Tier 6
  • I euh...
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
I think people need a mental check-up before they can even get a license to buy guns.
But having guns isn't necessary at all. Why would you need to shoot somebody. If somebody attacks you and you kill that person, you are going to be the person that get punished. Not the dead guy. (Well,  I heared it's legal to hurt people with a bread knife, and some other household stuff, in some countries, because those are things you use everyday and could have been using at that specific moment.
Ah well.
Also, somebody told me that there were burglars in his neighbourhood and the way they prepared for that was insane. The sister had katanas, he had a bow and a pocket knife, the father had a shotgun, and the mother had some other guns. Something like that. I mean, come on, man. What the...
Well, gorsh.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
If somebody attacks you and you kill that person, you are going to be the person that get punished. Not the dead guy.
Better than to be the dead guy.
And if you are defending yourself, you are not going to be punished if the legal system is any good.

(That doesn't mean it's better to allow guns for everyone though.)
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 04:24:33 PM »
I think firearms licence and psychological tests are a good start. But remember what Hickok45 says:

Media vs "Gun Culture"