Author Topic: Neil  (Read 14585 times)

Dry Ice

• Tier 3
  • I'm a kid and the world is my candy shop.
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Neil
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 10:30:40 PM »
I think they couldn't help all of their patient, and Eva regretted this. Her last wish is to successfully help all of them. Example: In the real world the gamble with River went wrong. So Jhonny didn't met River in Nasa. Only in Evas new memory is this a success.

I really like this part of your theory! That seems like something either Neil or Eva would wish for if they were dying, and would also explain why all the memories (if that's indeed what the games are) focus around jobs and not other parts of their lives.

Another thing worth mentioning is that Neil never needs to take the painkillers when he's in Johnny's memories, and in fact leaves them in the car when they first arrive. I wonder if he doesn't experience pain and/or addiction when in a memory?

Gogobrasil8

• Tier 3
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 01:24:44 PM »
In the Memories they can control their feelings, so Neil could adjust to dont feel pain. These capsules already were in the car, so them couldnt be taken cause of the accident. Maybe the painkiller recipient was used to hide another thing such caffeine. But we need to wait to episode 2.  :caketime: :zombieva: :zombieva:
Lunair >> all

To the Moon - Finished
Do you remember my lullaby? - Finished
The Mirror Lied - Finished
Quintessence - Finished (Sorta, of course.)
A Bird`s Story - Finished

:plat:<- I love This Smiley

Twitter: @gogobrasil8_br

ArauMenu

• Tier 1
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »
In the Memories they can control their feelings, so Neil could adjust to dont feel pain.

Maybe I remember it wrong, but I think they couldn't control their feelings, only their senses. So Neil only could adjust, if his pain came from a wound. If my theory is right, then his pain origin is a mental state. He knows his friend is dying. He uses the painkiller to make his mind numb. He can leave the painkillers behind, because he can always make new. When he realizes, that Eva can find them in the car, then he can't make them simply disappear, because there is a chance, that Eva already found them. He can't simply rewrite Evas memory about the painkiller, because she is also a memorymaker. She can find out the truth from the smallest clue. Also a possibility that there is simply not enough time. Evas wish is really big, and complicated. If Neil always rewrite her memory, then he can run out of time. Well, its still only a theory. :)

As always, sorry, if my english bad.

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 10:34:52 AM »
OH, HEY, ArauMenu and Acidburns' theories never even crossed my mind! Man, when I think about it, they seem very plausible.
I might as well give out my three theories. In all theories, these episodes would be the finale to the series. In theories 2 and 3, you would be in Neil's memories of them going through the clients' memories of previous episodes.

1. You know how Neil seems out of place for this job? Well, that's because he's not a Sigmund employee. He never did pass the entrance exam, but Eva did. They used to be close, but had become distant from each other, due to Eva's job. As time goes by, something happens to Neil, and he's on his deathbed. His dying wish was to make it into the Sigmund Corp with Eva and continue to be with her. Everything that we've seen in previous episodes is Neil's new memories.

OR

2. Neil's illness gets the best of him and he's on his deathbed. His wish would be that he and Eva would have fallen in love with each other at a young age. Eva accomplishes this in his memories, and Neil dies happy. This would leave a bittersweet ending for Eva, since she really did love Neil, but he's no longer with her.

OR

3. It turns out that Neil's reason for taking his painkillers is due to crushing headaches, caused from some mental instability (perhaps a side-effect of the machine). Despite that using the machine puts him in extreme danger, he wants to continue his work, out of a sense of accomplishment for what he does, and also so he can be by Eva's side. Eva is forced to erase all memories of her and the Sigmund Corp from Neil's mind (perhaps this would be the only episode where the machine isn't used to grant someone's dying wish, but instead change someone's memories so they can live on). Once the job is done, Neil goes on to do whatever it is that Eva thought would be best for him. They live separate lives, with no contact. The story ends when Neil manages to bump into Eva somewhere and starts up a friendly conversation with her, leaving it to the imagination of the viewer as to how their relationship progressed from there.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:41:28 AM by Abrom »
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 11:30:51 AM »
Oh, just thought of another one - Neil's illness takes a hold of him and puts him into a coma or some sort of unconscious state. No one knows what he has, but Eva knows that he's been hiding it from everyone. So, Eva has to use the machine and go back through his memories to find out what's wrong and try to save him.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 01:46:56 PM »
Good theories Abrom :) Along with what you think happens, I think Eva will start to like Neil as the episodes progress but start to fall for him in the last two episodes.

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 03:57:56 PM »
Just thought of a different spin from my last theory - Neil's condition puts him in a comatose state and somehow prevents others from entering his memories. Therefore, since Eva has a long history with Neil, someone has to go through Eva's memories of Neil to try and piece together what's wrong with him.

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 07:48:44 PM »
I just read this in the game's description - "However, since these new memories are permanent, the conflict between them and the existing authentic memories clash in such a way that it ceases the personís ability to properly function."
Perhaps Neil went and wiped something from his own memory, and now it's giving him problems?

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 03:42:36 AM »
I just read this in the game's description - "However, since these new memories are permanent, the conflict between them and the existing authentic memories clash in such a way that it ceases the personís ability to properly function."
Perhaps Neil went and wiped something from his own memory, and now it's giving him problems?
Well the theory is never explained into that much detail but I personally thing the clash of memory alternation no matter how small is actually fatal. It is not that I am trying to disprove your theory just that I have not considered it on the base of my on understanding of the machine. As far as I know brain is not HDD with partitions or separate drives. Also if he really wanted to forget something I guess there are better alternatives than using a machine that has proven fatality with memory alteration. There is also the thing with Beta blockers. They applied it successfully to Johnny when he was a kid and that is rough guess a 50 years time difference. When we look at the change in medicine of last 50 years 20 years of another advancement (assuming Watts is somewhere between his 20-30s) can be a game changer.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 06:40:33 AM »
Well, maybe he doesn't want to forget an entire section of his life via drugs. Maybe it's just one thing he wants to erase, and he wants to keep his memories of Eva.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 12:58:55 PM »
Well there is not enough science background to confirm it or deny it. But personally I don't think he has altered memory problems... That would feel too cheap. If it was a brain disorder caused by the frequent use of machine, I could take that. If it was an unrelated disease I could take that but I think making him willingly put at risk by altering his memories with the machine would feel cheap and unlike Neil I know.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 08:49:58 AM »
True dat...unless it was something unbelievable traumatic :)

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 06:07:20 AM »
I've wanted to say this for awhile now (can't remember is I've already posted this somewhere or not) but I think another indication that Neil is dying is when you go and talk to the fortune teller at the carnival and Neil says "I ain't talking to her. Good or bad, I'd be screwed either way."

I may be over thinking this but I that's just my opinion :deepstuff:

Double A

• Tier 6
  • Double double
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 06:32:58 AM »
I've wanted to say this for awhile now (can't remember is I've already posted this somewhere or not) but I think another indication that Neil is dying is when you go and talk to the fortune teller at the carnival and Neil says "I ain't talking to her. Good or bad, I'd be screwed either way."

I may be over thinking this but I that's just my opinion :deepstuff:
You do have a point there. It's either he is messing around, or that he knows something
I'm still alive. Object Oriented Programming subject has yet to kill me. Same cannot be said for Data and Discrete Structures....

BarbedFire

• Tier 1
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 09:44:32 AM »
I used to think that Neil was the one who's dying, but now I think it might be Eva instead. I've only played episode one and minisode one so far, but it seems to me that things like Neil providing the rabbit before Eva played his game in minisode one was similar enough to Neil and Eva trying to 'jog the memory' of Johnny.
I'll need to play minisode two before I get a clearer picture, but in summation so far here is my thoughts, similar to some above:
Eva is dying, and Neil is going through her memories to fulfill her wish. Perhaps even not officially by company rules as he seems to be working alone, whereas all other missions mentioned appear to involve two memory-alterers.
Eva seemed very worried when her gamble on whether River would be at NASA too might not have worked out, so that seems to indicate to me that it could have been then that they originally failed.)

Neil is also ill in some way that necessitates the use of painkillers, or he is just addicted. Either way there is an adverse effect upon his health.

Sorry if this is incoherent, but I am in a little bit of a rush. Definitely addicted to this series though :)
Whoops! First game is actually To the Moon