Author Topic: How To play To The Moon on a Mac  (Read 14435 times)

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
How To play To The Moon on a Mac
« on: November 21, 2012, 02:17:31 PM »
I've successfully figured out a way to play To The Moon (and any other RMXP games) on Mac. Instructions:
1. Download Virtual Box http://www.virtualbox.org/ (it's free, and recommended from the RPG Maker website)
2. Get a copy of Windows XP
3. READ THE VIRTUAL BOX MANUAL and follow the instructions for setting up a Virtual Machine (Windows XP) on OSX.
4. Set up your new Win XP OS when you start it for the first time (so simple a monkey could do it).
5. Voila! Download To The Moon from Steam in your Virtual Windows XP Box.

NOTES:
Virtual Box runs inside your Mac like any other program, so you can access it while doing your usual business, instead of restarting your Mac in Windows Mode. It's best to run it without any RAM-eating programs like Skype open, though.
The optimal settings for Win XP VBox to play To The Moon (as I've figured out so far) are 512 MB RAM and 64 MB Video Memory.
READ. THE. MANUAL. The Virtual Box manual will guide you through the setup process and help you with any troubleshooting, including mounting Windows XP if needed.

You're welcome, fellow Mac users! :seraismile:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:43:29 PM by Dr. Zooks McCoy »

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: How To play To The Moon on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 04:20:22 PM »
Everyone! Everyone! SHE DID IT!

Spoiler: show

~

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 04:45:17 PM »
This is great! Now everybirdy can play TtM.

Also, if that doesn't work for people, there's a surefire way to get To the Moon up and running, and it works even better than her awesome tutorial. Check it out:

Spoiler: show
Get a PC.

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »
So Mac users claim that Macs are better than Windows, but have to install a Windows OS because the Mac's iOS can't run everything a Windows OS can. I see.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 07:32:20 PM by The-PurpleOrange »

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 10:36:05 PM »
Once you go Mac, you don't go back. 8)

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 11:35:03 PM »
Once you go Mac, you don't go back. 8)

I've went Mac and I went OH GOD WHAT IS THIS TAKE ME BACK PC PLEASE!!!!
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 04:11:57 PM »
So Mac users claim that Macs are better than Windows, but have to install a Windows OS because the Mac's iOS can't run everything a Windows OS can. I see.

I applies the other way around.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 06:49:33 PM »

I applies the other way around.

Not that much. There would be some programs Mac specific, but are they any better than similar ones you can acquire for a different OS?

Dreadsteed

• Tier 3
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 11:54:43 PM »
You could use boot camp and possibly a windows 7 disk. Sadly I'm not a mac person so i can't test if RPG Maker XP programs runs with that setup. When MS has a monopoly or close to it, it's difficult to find software developed for other platforms unless it's in a niche market. For example Linux tends to be used for Servers, (Although Contrary to Microsoft's belief there are people out there who use linux for a desktop) and Mac for Media production so people may just develop applications solely toward a platforms niche and not feel to the need to go multiplatform.

Edit: err now I see why you went with Virtualization, oh and I feel the need to add I learned that virtual box has a Mac version lol I've used it to emulate Cisco Routers and Windows OSes on Windows but didn't realize there was a mac version.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:57:55 PM by Dreadsteed »

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 02:42:29 AM »
^ As Linux desktoper I can assure you that nowadays it's becoming important to go multiplatform for all three major OS. Linux iOS and Win.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 03:16:40 AM »
Ok, since people don't seem to understand, Macs run OSX, iPads/Pods/Phones run iOS. GET IT RIGHT PEOPLE!!!!
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 03:31:45 AM »
Sheesh, what's with the OS wars? If it were up to me we'd all just run things on baked potatoes and be cool with it.

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 11:38:18 AM »
^Baked potatoes... with cheese? Also, sorry Reives, but potatoes are Linux biased too...
http://www.bbspot.com/news/2008/12/linux-on-a-potato.html
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:45:29 AM by Dr. Zooks McCoy »

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »
Ok, since people don't seem to understand, Macs run OSX, iPads/Pods/Phones run iOS. GET IT RIGHT PEOPLE!!!!

I always get confused between the two because they sound similar and I found out about them both at the same time. It always happens with me it seems. I had a suspicion I had got it wrong too. :facepalm:

As for OS wars I don't mind which one I use as long as it runs what I want and is not associated with Apple.

DrFredEdison

• Tier 1
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 04:14:17 AM »
I don't care what OS you use! Let everyone use the one he prefers and give 'hem a brake! What's your problem? :facepalm:

BTW...
I have made a wrapper to run To the moon on Mac OS X without installing Windows. It runs perfectly on Mac from 10.4 to 10.6. On OS X 10.7 and 10.8 sometimes it has graphic issues... Just try again until the graphics are ok. If you are too bored to do this play it windowed by clicking Alt (or Cmd, i can't remember), while starting and change the graphic settings!
This is my website where you can download it.
I hope you will find it useful!

Here is the link where you can find the wrapper and the instructions to set up it!
http://www.mattiaderiggi.net/MattiaDeRiggi.net/Blog/Voci/2013/2/17_Running_and_playing_To_The_Moon_on_Mac.html