Author Topic: Childhood Lies?  (Read 9822 times)

kikikai

• Tier 5
  • *staaaaaaaaaaaaaaares*
  • Current Mood: doubtful doubtful
Re: Childhood Lies?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
I found a Santa Claus costume in the cupboard. I was totally unprepared. :(
That sucks :o

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 12:29:50 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie-to-children

Didn't figure this topic has a Wikipedia article. Yeah, that's kind of the lie I've been told as a kid. More of "we should simplify it so his head won't explode" things. I condemn the practice so when my little brother (10 years old) asks me about complicated stuff, I either: (1)Tell him I can't explain to him without blowing his head off (2)Tell him to google it, warning him of childhood mental scarring consequences. Having a very curious little brother, I understand now the feeling of being put into the situation of explaining things to kids.

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 08:48:13 AM »
I found about Santa cuz my family is stupid as s***. We were having a whole-family christmas (grandma, the aunts and uncles and every kid imaginable) and then my grandma decides she needs to go to the bathroom veeeery suspiciously at midnight (by the way, a cultural difference: we wait for Santa awake, we don't go to bed and open up gifts next morning like it's done in the US, for example) and when she comes back, oh you wouldn't believe, Santa came at that exact moment! what a lovely coincidence. I went into the house before she went in and no presents were there, so I added 2 and 2 and realized the whole thing. I was a smart kid. Still am. Also since I did, I went and ruined it for everyone else ^_^

One of my cousins was told as a kid that if he drank all his milk his eyes would get bigger (I fail to see the appeal in that) so he would and then he would go running to his mom "mommy mommy did my eyes get bigger?" every single time. He wasn't a smart kid like me. Heh :P

I also got told the one of a plant growing in your stomach if you ate any seeds xD

Also sometimes I used to take things too literally. Like I remember my dad got me a soccer shirt (I loved soccer as a kid) and sometimes I'd wear it to bed and my mom would tell me I shouldn't because it would turn black (her point was that it would darken). Then when I got a new one I started sleeping with the old one to turn it into a referee shirt, like, full black XD ok I wasn't that smart I guess
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 11:07:35 AM »
Sorry to be a little off-topic, but I've always found it interesting that different cultures open Christmas presents at different times. I guess opening them at night gets it out of the way so that Christmas the next day is less about the presents, but then again, there wouldn't be much time to play with them at night, so the kids might play with them on Christmas anyway.

Opening them in the morning is pretty cool, but I'm sure from a religious point of view it cheapens the whole thing a little. I've always gone to my grandparents' place every Christmas day anyway though. My aunt made a rule with my little cousin that she couldn't open her presents until 5am. 5am!! WTF. Just sleep, dammit.

Sorry for being off-topic and ranty, but I'm tired and I forgot was I was talking about halfway through.

Spoiler: show

~

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 11:27:15 AM »
I want to be off-topic too!

The illusion of Santa was dropped early for me because my parents were divorced while I was young, and we'd spend Xmas Eve at one parent's house and Xmas day at the other's every year. So that was two nights of Santa coming by, which broke the rules.

But back to the childhood lies; my father's side of the family told me that Santa actually DID make two trips for children of divorce like me and my sister. XD

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
I didn't know you had a sister! For some reason I always got the the only child vibe from you. *shruggies*

~

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 01:29:02 AM »
Also sometimes I used to take things too literally.

Used to... ::)

Kracken Kitty

• Tier 7
  • Sleepy Insomniac
    • Deviantart
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 04:44:09 AM »
Uhm...my parents said they'd call the adoption hotline is I never did my chores. I would always eavesdrop on them eavery single time they were on the line with someone.
Check out my art stuff! :D http://niorichi-art.tumblr.com/

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 05:31:11 AM »
We do not have here Santa Claus but Little Jesus. My parents were solid and clever so they told us when we were old enough that they buy most of the presents but one is from Little Jesus. After a while even that was figured out but no hard feelings. :)
Other than that... I don't think there were any major things that I would remember
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

HipsterPie

• Tier 6
  • I euh...
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 05:56:36 AM »
We don't have santa here either. We just get presents.
My parents used to tell me that I would become a rabbit if I'd eat too many carrots...
Well, gorsh.

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 02:36:16 AM »
I thought I was the only one told the lie about the seeds growing in your stomach.... What a useless lie, do parents want you to spit the seeds out!?
But the lie is quite scary, I heard a man had a tree growing out of his lungs once, apparantly he inhaled the seed....
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

HipsterPie

• Tier 6
  • I euh...
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 06:05:24 PM »
Once my parents told me they would call Sinterklaas if I did anything bad, and if I asked to show the number, they said they would email him instead and I didn't quite figure out how email worked back then. (Sinterklaas is like Santa but with black helpers and a white horse instead of tiny people and some reindeer)
Well, gorsh.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »
I'm starting to think your parents didn't have Sinterklaas's number at all! :o

~

HipsterPie

• Tier 6
  • I euh...
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 09:38:38 AM »
Of course not. And I didn't believe them. But I acted like I did. My parents really thought I did.
Well, gorsh.