Author Topic: Favourite Game OSTs?  (Read 11271 times)

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Favourite Game OSTs?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 07:58:36 AM »
Actually, my first kiss was to the Parasite Eve soundtrack. XD

That is just weird. :mimihat:

Also, I have like nothing to add to this conversation. Everyone here has exactly the same taste in music!! XD

If I had to pick my favourite, I'm twiddling my thumbs towards Chrono Cross. But some tracks from The KH series, as well as TtM get me going.

Spoiler: show

~

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 09:03:21 AM »
Just started Clannad and so far the soundtrack is what I remember from anime I really liked that one. ^^
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 01:22:19 PM »
I'm still sad that Lan and Ferd haven't heard of Jeremy Soule
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 09:53:57 AM »
Just started Clannad and so far the soundtrack is what I remember from anime I really liked that one. ^^

Yes, the entire soundtrack is great. I've listened to it more than just a couple of times since, and it always brings back memories. Most of the VN soundtrack was used for the anime. There are a few good additions to the anime which were sadly never released in any soundtrack.

Fran

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: stressed stressed
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
Oh, yes, this is a pretty big question alright. Not easy for me to answer. I've listened to many soundtracks lately, mostly RPG-releated. It's become something of a stand-alone hobby, although I enjoy soundtracks best when I have played the respective game. (It also helps a lot to get those melodies and tunes stuck in your head, which often doesn't work when you listen to a soundtrack for the first time.)

Okay, Merlan has already pointed out some important names.

As for me, Nobuo Uematsu is still my favorite composer. I love is very clear structure and style which can be found throughout all of his works. But regardless of that, he has a lot of variety in his musical works and doesn't hesitate to try something experimental now and then. Besides he's also a master of melodies for him. Since I haven't played the games yet, I don't know much about Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey (Neverending Journey is my favorite post-FF work from me).
The Last Story was a bit different, much more subtle and less melody-oriented. I enjoyed this new style, although I still like the classic Uematsu-style best. His FFXIV works are good, I guess, but I'm not too enthusiastic about them. On Windy Meadows is a really beautiful song, though.

Oh well, enough about Uematsu alright. I'm a huge fan of Yoko Shimomura. I must admit that I haven't heard much of her music other than her Kingdom Hearts soundtracks (which are awesome), a bit of Xenoblade (well, she wasn't one of the main composers) and, of course, Somnus Nemoris from Final Fantasy XIII. I plan to play Legend of Mana soon, though. Don't know about her Parasite Eve OSTs, or The 3rd Birthday, Live A Live or Radiant Historia.

Michiko Naruke is also one of my favorite composers. I admire her for the Wild ARMs soundtrack. I still haven't played Wild ARMs 2, though. Her whistle tunes are pretty legendary, but I also think she's awesome at using brass instruments and the electric organ. Wild ARMs 1 and 3 both have excellent soundtracks, and her contributions to Wild ARMs 4 are also great. (Too bad she wasn't involved in Wild ARMs 5 anymore, but the soundtrack turned out to be pretty good nevertheless). Recently, she's also composed something for a game called Nora and the Time Studio (Noora to Toki no Koubou). This seems to be a very enjoyable soundtrack as well, but I still have to give it a closer listen.

Okay, I still haven't said anything about Yasunori Mitsuda. Well, it should be obvious by now that he's a great composer, especially if you listen to Merlan's and Tumbles' ramblings. I love his Chrono works (especially Chrono Cross), but I still have to play Chrono Cross. His Xenogears soundtrack is really good, too. I listened to his recent -MYTH- Xenogears Orchestral Album just today. :) Looking forward to the first Xenosaga game (as well as Yuki Kajiuras soundtracks for the other two installments).

Motoi Sakuraba is another major name. I don't think there's any other composer in this world who has lent his talent to so many well-known games. The Tales of series, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Golden Sun, Baten Kaitos and a lot of standalone titles as well. Compared to the other composers I mentioned, Sakuraba has a high density of average pieces in his average soundtracks. But this doesn't stop him from being super awesome every now and then. His Battle Themes are usually top-notch (although they sound pretty similar no matter the game), and he's pretty good at composing soft piano pieces or minimalistic and atmospheric songs. I also love his more powerful works (e.g. in Tales of the Abyss, he's also great at using brass instruments and electronical elements).

Just this year I have discovered my love for GUST soundtracks. So far I have listened to the more recent Atelier soundtracks, including Atelier Rorona, Atelier Totori, Atelier Meruru and Atelier Ayesha. It's a shame that those games are not well-known here because the soundtracks a simple wonderful. Ken Nakagawa, Daisuke Achiwa and Kazuki Yanagawa (the main composers) are great at using flutes to create some of the most enjoyable happy and carefree yet atmospheric melodies I know. Their vocal themes are usually great as well (e.g. the opening themes of the four games I mentioned above). There are still more than ten Atelier OSTs and quite a few arrangement albums waiting for me, and I also intend to check out the Mana Khemia and Ar tonelico music.

I shouldn't forget Shoji Meguro. He's the composer of the Shin Megami Tensei series. So far I have played Digital Devil Saga I + II and Persona 3 + 4. I especially love his Persona OSTs. He's probably the most "modern" video game composer I know. He's really good at using electronic and rock-ish elements, but his J-Pop and Hip-Hop-styled songs in the Persona games are what I like even more. He also composed my all-time favourite song ever, Machi no Kioku (Memories of the City) from Persona 3.

Kenji Ito deserves to be mentioned for his works for the Seiken Densetsu series (Seiken Densetsu, Children of Mana, Sword of Mana, Dawn of Mana). I recently checked out his latest Seiken Densetsu arrangement album and was pretty amazed by the quality.

Other notable composers: Noriyuki Iwadara (Grandia and Lunar series), Yoshitaka Hirota (Shadow Hearts series), Takeharu Ishimoto (Crisis Core, Dissidia, Final Fantasy Type-0), Hitoshi Sakimoto (Legaia 2, Breath of Fire V, FFXII + other Ivalice games inclusing Vagrant Story), Hiroki Kikuta (Seiken Densetsu 2 + 3, Koudelka, Shining serioes), Tomohito Nishiura (Dark Cloud series, Rogue Galaxy, Professor Layton series), Kumi Tanioka (Crystal Chronicles + Echoes of Time), Noriko Matsudae und Takahito Eguchi (FFX-2), the Falcom Sound Team jdk (The Legend of Heroes series, Ys series), Miki Higashino (early Suikoden titles), Norikazu Miura (Suikoden Tactics + V), Masato Kouda (Wild ARMs 4 + 5) and ACE+ and Manami Kiyota (Xenoblade), Koji Kondo (Zelda, Mario, ...) and those Pokémon composers (Junichi Masuda, Go Ichinose).

There's also this guy named Kan Gao who has created some awesome games. He's also one of my favorite composers and probably the one with the highest density of really wonderful pieces in his soundtracks (Quintessence, The The Moon).

Yeah, lots of names. I feel like I should write some educational articles about the names and history of JRPG musc and composers. :) Maybe a 20 part-ish series covering a different series or composer every time.
Now I have only named my favorite composers, not my favorite soundtracks. I'll go though my music library and name the soundtracks I truely think are great:

Atelier Rorona
Atelier Torori
Atelier Meruru
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII-
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII (favorite #2)
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX (favorite #1)
Final Fantasy X
Grandia
Grandia II
Journey
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II + Final Mix
Narcissu
Narcissu -Side 2nd-
Persona 3
Persona 4
Quintessence - The Blighted Venom
Seiken Densetsu: Sword of Mana
Sora no Kiseki FC (aka The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky)
Suikoden V
To The Moon
Wild ARMs
Wild ARMs 3
Wild ARMs 4
Xenogears
Xenoblade

@Merlan: Look at your first time mentioning Koji Kondo in your post and tell me what you notice.  :vikonsmile:

Wow Squall. We really do have the same tastes. The only one I would add to the list would be the Zelda soundtracks. other than that, it is perfect.

HipsterPie

• Tier 6
  • I euh...
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »
The Monkey Island games have great soundtracks, in my opinion. They are funny, they fit perfectly into the story, scenery, and overall gameplay. They always make me happy, and after so many years, I still seem to enjoy them.
Monkey Island intro (Soundblaster version.)
This isn't the best version available but I couldn't find the good link.

Also, I really enjoyed Tomb Raider soundtracks, from different games. I like them because these soundtracks really give a situation that special feeling, and most of them are just plain badass.
Like this one.

Some of these soundtracks were able to transform a simple empty part of a city into something really creepy.
Something like this.
Well, gorsh.

Judedeath

• Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2012, 11:16:26 PM »
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 12:20:29 AM »
I don't understand! ??? He says he disagrees, then goes to explain why he agrees. Come on Tummble, get your act together.

~

Judedeath

• Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 12:26:58 AM »
I don't understand! ??? He says he disagrees, then goes to explain why he agrees. Come on Tummble, get your act together.

Tumbles tell the truth are you really TummbleB33?

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 12:49:44 AM »
While he may be a part of the secret Tumble clan, he is a measly rank 32, compared to my 9. I'll deal with him. :seraismile:

~

Alterus

• Tier 2
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 06:54:07 AM »
Mostly stuff by Nobuo Uematsu and Yasunori Mitsuda. Once I even went to their Symphonic Fantasies; booked a trip to Germany for the particular purpose to listen to their music live.

Yuzo Koshiro and Suikoden music are also in the list. Oh, and To the Moon is now there, too.

Gogobrasil8

• Tier 3
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 06:44:02 PM »
Do you remember my lullaby
To the moon
Sonic :)
Dont remember more
Lunair >> all

To the Moon - Finished
Do you remember my lullaby? - Finished
The Mirror Lied - Finished
Quintessence - Finished (Sorta, of course.)
A Bird`s Story - Finished

:plat:<- I love This Smiley

Twitter: @gogobrasil8_br