Author Topic: Just finished TTM, my "review"  (Read 5784 times)

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
Re: Just finished TTM, my "review"
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 08:01:15 AM »
Thanks guys for sharing your views! (and TC for expanding on his opinions). I hope my post didn't come off as trying to shove my opinion down your throats haha, I like to debate but I respect everyone's opinions ^^

As for this:

Did you ever feel that those "puzzle piece" sections ever added to the theatrical immersion? Or even the last action sequence with the zombies? I for one didn't.

I've heard mixed feelings about the puzzles. Some good takes on it are that they let you "sink" the emotional impact of the current scene, letting you "clean" your mind so you can take the next memory without being totally drowned in the previous emotions. In that way I think they work great. But I can see why someone would dislike them. Personally I like them :)
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 09:58:22 AM »
We are wading into the realm of theory here. But I trust you confronted him on the painkillers? Now, all that "We're in Neils mind! Aaaaaah!" thing aside, I believe he is dying. The reason why he cared so much about John? He knows one day, it might be him hooked up to that machine.

Aaaand we've come full circle all the way back to "Neil is dying" theories! XD

sushia11, you covered a lot of interesting points! :seraismile:

You make a point I agree with:  indie games should not be required to subscribe to some preconceived idea of what a game has to be.  The video McCoy provided seems to explain that the creator's intention was that the players don't give it a neat label--an "interactive experience" is the term, then, and certainly there's nothing wrong with that.  In fact given the way my original review was worded, I feel a bit hypocritical, given how I strongly believe in the merits of artistic expression vs. commercial appeal.

I've never been called McCoy before. Beam me up, Scotty. 8)
Glad I could help explain. :P And here at Freebirdia, if everybody agrees about something, some people *cough* Lan *cough* will even post something they don't agree with, just to start a conversation. Different opinions are good!

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »
I'm legendary? This is news. I must tweet this.
Spoiler: show
Noo, shut up, the pictures are like Freebirdian easter eggs.

It depends on how the translation was done. Obviously things would have to be changed, but the core story would be the same. Kan actually started a novelization of his own. :seraismile:
http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=2580.0

sushia11

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 10:57:51 PM »
Okay, I'll rephrase it and say "SOME" qualities found in games will not be able to translate into other mediums. I'll admit, Kan, your rendition is great (not like I expected anything less). My point was more that storytelling evolves certain ways with games, and the level of details hidden in each frame would not be an easily accessible effect in, say a movie. You could hide things in the background of the characters talking, but I don't think the technique would be the same. It would still be rather obvious. And movies, by design, show the most important scenes to in respect to the plot. You can stretch this out (Harry Potter 7 P1/2 anyone?) but it's still limited.
Yes Jess. I am a very lonesome boy in real life, so legendary forum people are cool. I must see a twitter post of this so my inner freebirdian can go huzzah!

Batman55

• Tier 2
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 01:48:23 AM »
Did you ever feel that those "puzzle piece" sections ever added to the theatrical immersion? Or even the last action sequence with the zombies? I for one didn't.

Mostly agree.  The zombie sequence was very clunky and just felt like it didn't fit.  Therein lies the problem; TTM (or future projects from Freebird similar to TTM) has the problem of being incompatible with most gameplay mechanics.

The simple puzzle piece sections didn't distract from anything, in fact I felt they were a refreshing change of pace.  I don't believe you need to bring in complex logic puzzles as a next step, but you need some greater diversity or complexity to allow the player to feel like a part of the game/story/whatever.  Or at least, that's what I suggest.

I would actually be against a gameplay oriented TTM, as it draws focus away form the plot.

I'm with you on this, but with compromise attached.  Simply I think you need more interaction but done in a smart way.  For instance, a greater verbal description of the environment is one possible way.  You should be able to click on objects that aren't crucial to the plot.  I know it's a dream environment and it shouldn't be properly interactive, but I think the developer could have added more detail anyway.  You could sidestep the problem of adding "action sequences" or fetch quests this way, for instance.

I thought River was written splendidly. To someone who isn't very thoughtful, her words could be close to gibberish and chalked up to her condition (Actually, when did it say it was Asperger's?). You have to see through her words to figure out what she is trying to say, and the kind of person she is.

I don't lack for thought in this domain.  River was probably a realistic character, possibly too real.  Her dialogue is minimalist and to the point.  That's an effective way to convey the most important aspects of a character.  But--I dunno--quite simply I felt something was missing.  Sometimes my hunch is correct; other times, not.  Judging from most of you I may be wrong on this point.

The game implied River had a high functioning condition.  The book the shrink handed to River was by Tony Attwood, who specializes in Asperger's, a high functioning condition.  PDD could apply to "typical autism" as well, but as we know River was verbal, with some social difficulties.  Judging from my own understanding of Asperger and other high functioning kinds of PDD, such people usually have the most trouble in public, but can be quite verbose with those closest to them.  (I have some traits of Asperger and I can relate to being this way.)  I think her "tone" when alone with Johnny was virtually the same as it was in all other parts of the game, just generally "enigmatic" for lack of a better word.  Even Aspergian folks express themselves in a more animated way, from time to time.  But please refer to the last paragraph for this, as it seems most people don't see this as a problem.

...I'm not saying that John remembered everything. I'm not even going to say that John remembered River was trying so hard to tell him this specific detail. All I'm suggesting, is that he found out what he most wanted; to be with River. The whole NASA thing was just a stage in which the wires in his brain could connect.

You could even say that it reached "beyond" death. As the moon the place the would meet, they are essentially "on the moon" when they're buried next to each other. The moon shown just before John flatlines could be seen not only as his reuniting with River, but also his impending death...

I have to admit that some aspects of the plot may just be over my head...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 01:56:35 AM by Batman55 »

sushia11

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 04:49:52 AM »
Eh, I hope I didn't seem so much like a know-it-all lol, because I don't feel like one. I just am very passionate for the game. I'm aware it's not without faults (the zombie sequence I mentioned) too.

And don't think it's over your head just yet. I'm not trying to force the "true" and holy view of TTM on you or anyone else haha. I'm only conveying my own thoughts.

And on the topic of Asperger's. I personally don't have it, so I'm not an expert. It was actually a genuine question of where it was ever said. But doesn't River's metaphorical nature kinda go against this idea? I dunno.

I think maybe Kan wanted to avoid some of the negative feelings regarding the portrayal of disabilities in stories so he didn't explicitly name it. But whatever. It's not imperative that I know.