Author Topic: The Samaritan Paradox  (Read 30735 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: The Samaritan Paradox
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 11:25:30 AM »
That's odd, because changing the filters is changing the resolution. If you play in windowed mode without any zoom filters at all, the game will play in its native 320x200. With a x2 filter, 640x400, etc.
I'll look into this.

You should've told me that! I just tried the 4x anti aliasing filter and the other 4x filter, and after seeing my laptop's maximum resolution, I gave up. Well, I changed it to run with no filters, and it works. Sorry for bothering you. :)

I had the same problem.

For some reason, when I switched to 2x anti aliasing in the setup it worked just fine. :)

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »
Alright, first impressions:

The characterization is decent, the main character is fleshed out through exploration of his room and his side comments, and not through a huge monologue which affects the flow of the story. The main character, Ord also has quite some details, like using a mute television for distraction, having a clean flat but a disorganized bed, noticing an out of place ISBN label that most other people overlooked because of his time browsing through books in the library etc.

The voice acting is also decent. The main character, Ord, sounds like a normal, down on luck college student who has a large interest in cryptography, without coming off as too tired or too uninterested. The other characters sound quite lively and change their tones well.

The one and only puzzle in the demo was well integrated, although it was a bit simple. Still, having well integrated simple puzzles is better than having moon logic or frustrating puzzles for the sake of "cleverness" or "difficulty". I think the puzzles definitely need more thinking later on. I hope it's not too much.

I'm not convinced completely by the ending scene though:
Spoiler: show
Why would a father desperately force his daughter to read a book for his will? Why would the daughter not want to read the book? Why didn't she try and solve the clue given in the ISBN code(though to be honest not many people would note that it was strange)? I think these questions are redundant and would be answered later on in the full game, but they somehow get to me.

Of course, Merlandese's music accentuated the mood of being in a lonely, downbeat flat that's in disorder.

So overall, looking good! :) Would like to see some more of this game.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:18:28 PM by Dev J Chand »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »
The voice acting is also decent. The main character, Ord, sounds like a normal, down on luck college student who has a large interest in vocabulary, without coming off as too tired or too uninterested. The other characters sound quite lively and change their tones well.

I think the only problems I had with the VA is that Magnus' voice isn't pumped through a filter to make him sound like he's on the phone. It's a little detail, but I kept getting weirded out thinking he was right next to Ord in his flat! Also, there's one time when Sara said the word "too" that seemed like it didn't match the context of the writing, which can happen easily with separated voice direction. Otherwise, pretty good stuff.

Why would a father desperately force his daughter to read a book for his will? Why would the daughter not want to read the book? Why didn't she try and solve the clue given in the ISBN code(though to be honest not many people would note that it was strange)? I think these questions are redundant and would be answered later on in the full game, but they somehow get to me.

That's one of the things I've been digging about the story, actually. I only know a few chapters in, but one of the cool aspects is sort of learning about the dead author from everyone who knew him. There's this sort of fact-based-gossip about his character and the relationship he holds with various family members.

One of the neat things is that the questions of "why this" and "why that" that you just asked are kind of where Ord sits as well, I think. So we really get to discover the answers to those at that same time as Ord.

Of course, Merlandese's music accentuated the mood of being in a lonely, downbeat flat that's in disorder.

Thank you. :) I hope the rest of the music does the job, too.

Faravid

• Tier 2
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 07:44:07 AM »
Dev J Chand:
Thanks for your feedback.
I guess "decent" is good enough for something which tends to be the achilles heel of computer games - the voice acting :)

The first puzzle has been simplified a lot, simply because it's the very first puzzle and the very entrance to the game. It used to be much harder (there wasn't an interactive table of element, just a textbox where you should type the answer). And trust me, the game will be difficult enough from then on!

I hope that the questions you pose can be a motivator to play the finished game - that's how you get them answered :)

Lannie:
Yeah, I considered a phone filter here, and might go for it eventually.

"Also, there's one time when Sara said the word "too" ..."
Which one do you mean? At one point she says "I'm a bit afraid too" as in, not only will she avoid the book to spite her father, but she's a bit afraid of it as well.
Is there an intonation problem there?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:49:02 AM by Faravid »

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 09:36:47 PM »
Reposted Merlandese's post in Hitmanforum. Hopefully people will take note.

http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/59648-the-samaritan-paradox/

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 02:36:06 PM »
"Also, there's one time when Sara said the word "too" ..."
Which one do you mean? At one point she says "I'm a bit afraid too" as in, not only will she avoid the book to spite her father, but she's a bit afraid of it as well.
Is there an intonation problem there?

That's the one!

Listening to it again there isn't a problem at all. I think what happened was my mind had an idea of what she was going to say because I read it a bit faster than she said it, so the way she said it didn't match the intonation I used in my head.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 02:34:57 AM »

The Samaritan Paradox - Preview
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:36:52 AM by Merlandese »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 03:49:32 AM »
The site is finally up, and man, is it slick. I really dig the format.

http://www.samaritanparadox.co.uk/

I think the plot and setting are fantastic. There are demos, trailers, and all sorts of goodies to look at, so hopefully any interested parties will take notice. Also, The Samaritan Paradox is releasing on Steam, GoG, and all of those good sites simultaneously upon release, which is basically shorthand for being a sweet game. The creator has done a great job writing this game, and I can't wait to see how it does.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:58:12 AM by Merlandese »

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 08:26:17 AM »
Damn, that is slick. 8) The website alone makes me wanna get it.

~

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 07:29:35 PM »
The Samaritan Paradox is now released! You can get it on the site, GoG, Steam, and Desura!

MAIN SITE:

http://www.screen7.co.uk/games/samaritanparadox/#buynow

STEAM:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/283180

GOG:

http://www.gog.com/game/the_samaritan_paradox

DESURA:

http://www.desura.com/games/the-samaritan-paradox

SOUNDTRACK:

http://merlandese.bandcamp.com/album/the-samaritan-paradox-2

(Maestro, can you move this to Completed Games?)

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 01:31:14 PM »
So, should I buy this or A Bird Story when it comes out? Help me, Merlandese. :P

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 04:03:15 PM »
The website keeps telling me that I live in Manchester on the little globe. I have never felt so insulted in my life.

So, should I buy this or A Bird Story when it comes out? Help me, Merlandese. :P

Buy both; problem solved.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:05:16 PM by The-PurpleOrange »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »
Well, the creator of The Samaritan Paradox says the game only costs as much as a couple of lagers. So if you drink lager, next time refrain from ordering two of them and instead buy this game!

Then buy A Bird Story because, let's face it, you're going to anyway. :P

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 10:08:33 PM »
Well, I bought it. Screw you, A Bird Story! :P

Seriously though, I'll buy A Bird Story by October or so. I don't think my parents will allow me to buy it earlier than that.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2014, 10:41:30 PM »
Wow, awesome! You have to tell us what you think when you play it!