Author Topic: The 9/11 - 11th Anniversary  (Read 3256 times)

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
The 9/11 - 11th Anniversary
« on: September 12, 2012, 07:25:54 PM »
A few days ago, it was the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in the United States. I recall being six years old back then. My cousin sent me photographs back then of what happened at the World Trade Center from a safe distance.

What were your thoughts during that day, and how did it affect... your surroundings?

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: The 9/11 - 11th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »
I first knew something was wrong when my daily Pokemon was was replaced by several news reports. I was young, but I was a smart kid, and I could see how much of a big deal it was. While it didn't directly effect anyone I know, I still felt extreme sadness for anyone involved, and I still do.

But wow, has it really been 11 years since then? Far out... ???

Spoiler: show

~

Clavvy

• Tier 3
  • Current Mood: angry angry
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 07:52:42 PM »
It didn't affect me at all.. Somehow I just went all "meh" about it and never heard of it again..

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:35:43 PM »
I was no kid back then, so I was pretty aware about everything. It was all over the news (even here in Argentina, and I asume everywhere in the world). The whole thing left me with many negative thoughts. Effects of religion, the way the media handles things, and the people. But yeah overall a sad day for humanity, for sure. I find sad that I'm aware of this and I have no clue when's the Hiroshima anniversary, for example. That's one of the negative thoughts it left me, somehow the media makes it look as if it was the worst event in human history and conveniently forgets about worse things.
Still, not the victims' fault, so my sympathies to their families. It must've been a terrible day that shaped their whole lives upside down.
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:27:07 PM »
Well, right after 9/11, everyone on TV was talking about how this was a defining moment in American history, and how we would all view the world through the lens of 9/11. (Indeed, for years afterward, one could not turn on the TV without hearing someone say that we live in a “post-9/11 world,” which is the stupidest observation in human history. I mean, we also live in a post-World War II world and a post-invention-of-fire world.) But I think what is meant by the phrase “post-9/11 world” is really interesting: Humans tend to measure time within the framework of important events. In the Christian world, we date from the birth of Christ. The Islamic calendar dates from the Muslim community’s move from Mecca to Medina.

--John Green

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 09:44:40 PM »
Oh man, I love that guy. XD

Spoiler: show

~

Clavvy

• Tier 3
  • Current Mood: angry angry
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 09:47:15 PM »
Merlandese has a point though.. I see it this way similiary..

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 11:24:19 PM »
When I was young, my brothers would drop me off at the park sometimes when they went on walks. After 9/11, whenever I heard an airplane, I would run and hide under the playground equipment at the park :(

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 11:31:13 PM »
I don't fully understand the point John Green is trying to make on that quote XD I feel stoopid.
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 03:06:44 AM »
Well I was watching news that day and saw it all... Didn't affected me all that much 'cause I was in Europe and this happened in America.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Wyndfal

• Tier 6
  • I don't believe in the internet.
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 04:09:53 AM »
Nothing better to expect from the media! They are stupid to still cling to the hope of victimizing their terrorist affairs by dramatizing an obviously arranged plane crash! It is sad, of course, that people died during the so-called accident, but it gets more terrible to know that the government itself arranged the whole thing! There are tons of documentaries on the falseness of the whole accusations, and the true motives that were behind it as well as the true culprits.
But now, I think I'm more exhausted than depressed about it. After all, it's been more than a decade   :)

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 06:41:34 AM »
Conspiracy theorists can be equally if not more misleading and presumptuous as the media in my opinion. I've never found that any of the documentaries have provided me with enough solid evidence to convince me.

But anyway I think a good quote in this situation is:

"Let's not Neil. Let's not." ~ Eva Rosalene
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:43:11 AM by The-PurpleOrange »

Lobstrosity

• Tier 4
  • Did you know that Gargan Roo is like pufferfish?
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 08:32:14 AM »
To be honest, I never really heard anything about 9/11 during the time that it happened (I was very young at the time). In fact, the only reason I know about it is because I've had to write sooo many essays on it at school. I'm not that affected by it, because, as other people have previously stated, there are plenty of worse things that have happened in the world. The only reason I know when it is is because it is titled 9/11.
~This messages was brought to you by Lobstrosity. Thank you, and have a good night.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »
^Like Kosovo war or Croatian War of Independence or Bosnian War? Who reminds us of those? No one and in Kosovo there are still deployed units of KFOR for example from my country.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Anden120

• Tier 3
  • I feel free~
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »
Well, I was in second grade then, I think I watched the news and understood that something terrible happened that day, though it took many years until I actually went on youtube to view material from 9/11.

Thoughts go out to the families of the people who died that day.