Author Topic: Any good RPGmaker games?  (Read 4684 times)

A random stranger

• Tier 3
    • EK's message board
Any good RPGmaker games?
« on: September 29, 2008, 02:23:05 AM »
Okay, I've played Last Scenario and also played the 9 chaps of Quin. I haven't really tried many RPGmaker games before but I'm looking for something well-done:

a) as few cliches as possible. I am not very interested in another "let's be a hero and save the world" plot unless there're tons of twists which shrewdly explain or make use of the cliched beginning. And I don't care about heroes or antiheroes, just that the characters need to have a good purpose for being there.
b) if it's really going to revolve around strategy and war, it has to know its' stuff.
c) very well-written plot. Granted, it doesn't have to be as awesome as Last Scenario or interesting like Quin but it has to make sense and not justify it with cliches and "all rpgs must be like ___ and ____".
d) No romance. Nothing against it, just that few are able to even write a convincing romance story, much less tie it into a plot. And fewer are able to even deliver it in a game(professional or not). 

Excluding the above 2 titles, I've played a few of them before including a bit of Three the hard way and they either annoyed or failed to impress me. I'm also currently waiting for The blurred line to be completed, if it ever will be, before I play it. I've tried a bit of The Way before but since it seemed to likely develop into a huge muddled mess of complicated plot and a really huge cast, I never went further.

Any suggestions? :) I'm taking a break from visual novels since those are kinda text-heavy. And my fav. indie adventure games are still in development. :P

Thanks!  :P
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 02:46:27 AM by The Sonar Chicken »
What's the price of love got to do with love?
What's the price of love got to do with much?
All I know is what I'm told.

Client - Price of Love

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
  • Current Mood: blank blank
Re: Any good RPGmaker games?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 02:36:20 AM »
I don't think Cliches are all that bad, I like them to be honest.
This quote will be legend

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 02:39:39 AM »
Try MotW
www.masterofthewind.org
The start's a little rough, but as time goes on it gets better, and the puzzles get quite ingenious, as well as witty dialogues and political references etc.

A random stranger

• Tier 3
    • EK's message board
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 02:43:50 AM »
A.) There's no such thing as a completely original game that will blow your mind away, even the greatest games have a cliche or two(or three!).

Oops my bad... I'll have to re-edit it that. =P Yeah... though I dislike too many cliches, owing to a heavy dose of "cliched-filled movies, books, tv series, etc." as a child. =P

Client - Price of Love

A random stranger

• Tier 3
    • EK's message board
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 02:47:25 AM »
Try MotW
www.masterofthewind.org
The start's a little rough, but as time goes on it gets better, and the puzzles get quite ingenious, as well as witty dialogues and political references etc.

Sounds good. :) Will give it a shot. :)

Client - Price of Love

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 02:55:47 AM »
Just try not to get downed by the presentation, which is a bit weak and doesn't do justice to the other parts of the game. c: It'll probably suck you in after a while.

A random stranger

• Tier 3
    • EK's message board
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 02:57:10 AM »
Just try not to get downed by the presentation, which is a bit weak and doesn't do justice to the other parts of the game. c: It'll probably suck you in after a while.

How bad is it? It can't be as shocking as a text-based game or a DOS game... now those were the days. :P

I don't think Cliches are all that bad, I like them to be honest.

Not when you're as old as me and have read enough cliches to permanently freeze over your mind! ;P I've read close to 1000 books, enough that I rarely read and only touch the well-written stuff now.

Client - Price of Love

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 02:58:41 AM »
How old are ya by the way? o: I did suspect that you were probably relatively old from your insightful points.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 03:00:51 AM »
Oh, and as for the first; to be honest, if you don't use RMXP, you probably won't notice it too much. It does its job so shouldn't be much of a problem.

A random stranger

• Tier 3
    • EK's message board
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 03:03:25 AM »
How old are ya by the way? o: I did suspect that you were probably relatively old from your insightful points.

Hey! I'm not that "old"! :P A few years away from 30, I might say. And before you say anything else, I get mistaken for a 12 yr old on the phone a lot, so that does compensate for my age a bit(not!). :P

Oh gods, I must be like one of the oldest folks on this board.  :o

Oh, and as for the first; to be honest, if you don't use RMXP, you probably won't notice it too much. It does its job so shouldn't be much of a problem.

Aha... I see. :) Oh well. :)

Client - Price of Love

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 03:07:30 AM »
Well I know for a fact I'm not (Only 18) But I don't think your old xD old is like upper 40ish.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 03:12:29 AM »
I said "relatively" old! :p Relative to me and others (19 here). You're in your golden years, so psh.  :vikonsmile:

Atlanis

• Tier 3
  • Oldschool Maker (rm2k)
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 03:38:11 PM »
Well to all that want to learn German, a nice Language was Grammar more complicated than Latin and a good doozen words for the same thing, I would like to introduce the rpg-atelier: www.rpg-atelier.de

For those who donīt speak German, there are lots of Funny Games with actually no Dialogs a la PacMan Platinum, the last I saw hat something to do with Chocobos running around a Space station. Oh and by the way, everyone there understands English, well actually everyone under 50;-).

Ok, for the Frenchspeaking People search for "Velsabor" On the main Page you find a translated Version of the German Original.
Long Lives the rm2k!<br />Current Project: Badon Echnat et Moratum<br />Language: German<br />Maker: RPG-Maker 2000<br />Status: 20% (Scripting time:-D)

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 05:04:50 PM »
Dark Eternal: Dissoultion (I just recently finished playing it and found it good)
RMXP
www.zenosoft.net

Demon Legacy (I've played this and it's pretty hard, but the storyline is great)
RM2k3
http://www.gamingw.net/forums/index.php?topic=68407.0

http://www.queenscourt.org/othergames.php
    Arafell
    RM2k3

Rose chronicles
    RM2k3

Love & War
    RM2k

Romancing Walker (Wasn't a big fan but it's okay)
    Rm2k

I'll find other ones (RMXP if you prefer)

Also, I heard that the Blurred Line was being moved to RMXP and won't be done until like next year or so rumors say.

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 05:29:28 PM »
The Way all the way :)