Author Topic: Steam Greenlight Fee too high?  (Read 2283 times)

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Steam Greenlight Fee too high?
« on: September 06, 2012, 10:00:39 PM »
So Valve has implemented a one time 100$ fee for your account to be allowed to post games to greenlight, and in comments on some articles there are lots of people arguing that that's too much and the poor starting artists can't afford that, so I thought I'd throw out the question to you guys what do you guys think, is this too much?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/05/green-for-greenlight-valve-now-charging-100-fee/
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Steam Greenlight Fee too high?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:24:19 PM »
No, I don't think it's too high. :seraismile: I actually think it's kinda low.

What Steam is doing is giving indie developers the possibility of competing in the same market as the AAA developers, as long as they generate enough interest. That's pretty big. :vikonsmile:

Now most serious developers shell out thousands for their engines, so an extra hundred isn't so bad, especially considering the promotion that gives them.

Of course, when money's involved, there'll always be people complaining, that's just life. But Greenlight really is a good opportunity, and $100 really isn't much in the long run.

Spoiler: show

~

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 11:21:38 PM »
I agree with Tumbles here. For what I gather from your post Judedeath, the fee is for the account, meaning once you paid it, you can submit multiple games? that sounds to me like a pretty good deal.

I think they're not even after the money, but making it so you don't get all these stupid submissions we saw the first days (I haven't checked again since then). For example the guy who 'submitted' an emulator request won't be paying 100 bucks to spam, its not a foolproof filter but it'll do the job. If you're a dev who believes your product deserves to be on Steam, then $100 is not that huge of an investment. Hell, that's what RPG Maker VX Ace costs, and that is mostly a 'hobbyist' investment (for the most part).
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 12:57:54 AM »
The $100 wall is tough enough to stop most, if not all, bull -cuss- in Greenlight. I'm so sick of troll entries and requests for Battlefield 3, Minecraft, etc. by illiterate people who have selective reading problems regarding instructions and purpose of Greenlight.

Judedeath

• Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 01:22:59 AM »
But Tumbles the poor suffering artists can afford 100$ they're artists and poor and can't afford 100$

And yeah the money goes to child's play so it isn't like Valve is pocketing this, this is just to get rid of the joke postings.

And yeah I'm of the opinion that this is good.
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 02:30:24 AM »
I agree with Tumbles and everyone who agrees with Tumbles. If you can afford to make a game, the equipment alone is more than $100. If you can somehow muster up a computer cost and some software, I really don't see $100 being the barrier between a release and a non-release. I mean, how pathetic would that sound?

"I spent the last three years making an incredible game, but I can't get the one-hundred buck necessary to release it one Steam. Guess I'll just delete it." :p

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 12:08:11 PM »

"I spent the last three years making an incredible game, but I can't get the one-hundred buck necessary to release it one Steam. Guess I'll just delete it." :p

^That made me LOL

XD
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Judedeath

• Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 02:57:25 PM »

I don't know did you announce that it would be released 2 years previous? Possibly in April even.

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 11:29:13 PM »

I don't know did you announce that it would be released 2 years previous? Possibly in April even.
I know someone who did. *wink wink* *nudge nudge*