Author Topic: The 9/11 - 11th Anniversary  (Read 3531 times)

Unimaginative Username

Re: The 9/11 - 11th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 12:03:06 PM »
^Like Kosovo war or Croatian War of Independence or Bosnian War? Who reminds us of those? No one and in Kosovo there are still deployed units of KFOR for example from my country.

Weirdly I was talking to someone about the Bosnian War today :P

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 02:25:21 PM »
I don't fully understand the point John Green is trying to make on that quote XD I feel stoopid.

That quote's actually out of context. He's really explaining why he structured the chapters and events in his book a certain way.

But what I get from the quote is that people need key events to reference their progress through life. Like some people use when they graduate as a milestone, others use Bat Mitzvahs and the like. When whole generations want to relate time together, they have to use large events, and in this case it's 9/11. But at one point it was Pearl Harbor, and at another it was the invention of the wheel.

So I inferred that although 9/11 was tragic, the fact that this thread exists is only legitimate because we are so near the event in time, not because it is more important or world-changing than so many other successes and tragedies.

Honestly, my post doesn't say much of anything with an opinion. It's just a thought-sparker. :p

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 04:25:59 PM »
^Like Kosovo war or Croatian War of Independence or Bosnian War? Who reminds us of those? No one and in Kosovo there are still deployed units of KFOR for example from my country.

Weirdly I was talking to someone about the Bosnian War today :P

Well that's kinda satisfaing. :)
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 10:08:56 AM »
I don't fully understand the point John Green is trying to make on that quote XD I feel stoopid.

That quote's actually out of context. He's really explaining why he structured the chapters and events in his book a certain way.

But what I get from the quote is that people need key events to reference their progress through life. Like some people use when they graduate as a milestone, others use Bat Mitzvahs and the like. When whole generations want to relate time together, they have to use large events, and in this case it's 9/11. But at one point it was Pearl Harbor, and at another it was the invention of the wheel.

So I inferred that although 9/11 was tragic, the fact that this thread exists is only legitimate because we are so near the event in time, not because it is more important or world-changing than so many other successes and tragedies.

Honestly, my post doesn't say much of anything with an opinion. It's just a thought-sparker. :p

Oh, now it makes sense :P
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

EzeCoyote

• Tier 2
  • Liquidized Rage
    • YouTube
  • Current Mood: scared scared
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 10:17:02 AM »
I live in Sweden, so our regular broadcasts were never interrupted. I just watched TV throughout the whole thing, next morning I saw a newspaper my mum had bought home with a picture of two towers burning. Never thought much of it.

I was 6 years old at the time.
Although, through family-tree studies my dads uncle takes care of, we found out we had a distant relative who died in the towers. Didn't really phase me, though. I'm pretty apathetic to things like this... I can understand people being sad about it, but I can't feel that sadness myself because I never knew the people who died.