Author Topic: Has anyone played Slender yet?  (Read 3118 times)

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Has anyone played Slender yet?
« on: July 22, 2012, 10:27:19 AM »
Hello! :seraismile:

I'm not sure if anyone's heard, but a free indie game called Slender recently came out. It's a horror, and it's relatively short. The premise is, you're a female with a torch, running around trying to collect 8 hidden notes. But holy crap, it is frightening. :o Why on earth would anyone do this to themselves!???

Anyway, enjoy. :seraismile:

Slender -- Game Teaser

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slender_(video_game)

Download: (Surprisingly tough to find)
Windows (http://www.parsecproductions.net/games/Slender_v0_9.zip)
Mac (http://www.parsecproductions.net/games/Slender_v0_9_mac.zip)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:29:20 AM by Tumbles »

Spoiler: show

~

Valtier

• Tier 5
  • Apathy taken to an artform
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
Re: Has anyone played Slender yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »
I won't bash this game too hard here out of respect for those who do find it scary, but I really can't get into this game.  The gameplay is totally random and luck-reliant, Slenderman looks silly, and there isn't even a thin veneer of a plot in place, so the game's (admittedly admirable) attempt to build up atmosphere is DOA.  You're in a forest collecting pages because the game told you to, and Slenderman wants to kill you because that's what he does.  It doesn't help that Slendy looks completely ridiculous...

Sorry.  I'll stop now.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:06:20 AM »
Haha! It's interesting to hear it from that side. I find it terrifying, but I know plenty who've played it and found it dull. I remember a friend of mine made his girlfriend play it, and she found it to be boring. She said she wanted a gun or something. XD

I also have to respect it, because I know the forums where the guy was posting throughout its development, and from what I saw, it was ridiculously tough to make. Especially since it was made in Unity, a very script heavy engine. :vikonsmile:

Spoiler: show

~

Valtier

• Tier 5
  • Apathy taken to an artform
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 08:44:50 AM »
Oh, I realize how difficult it is to produce a working game to begin with.  But you have to go the extra mile to make a horror game that "works", versus a sidescroller, a shooter, or a puzzle platformer.  I appreciate the effort, certainly - I just don't like the way it came out.  I thought that a similar concept done a lot better was the SCP "games" - those pull off the minimalist, low/no action atmospheric interactive horror story off quite well.  Granted, they're really not worth a replay.

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 05:27:12 PM »
Have any of you guys played any of the Frictional Games games, those really pull off the first person horror really well.
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 06:15:42 PM »
I haven't played any of their Penumbra games. I saw Amnesia on YT but when I got round to playing it I was prepared for the scares because I was stupid and spoiled it for myself.

There is a new one out later this year call A Machine for Pigs I think which will probably be terrifying.

xkazumix3

• Tier 3
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 01:16:19 AM »
I happen to know someone who is a huge fan of slender. Although I find Horror games exciting, I think I'll give myself a break from any heart attack.

IMO the frightening aspect of horror games is not necessarily the gory details and stuff but more on the paranoia fuel for every player. Like how Valtier pointed out. It depends on the player's definition of scary and frightening.

Those that get paranoid gets frightened easily while those who aren't would find it boring I guess.

It's pretty much like Ib and Ao Oni, I mean like there are people who say Ao Oni is awesome but it's just too much for me to bear  :reivsweat: since I couldn't stand the look of that thing and the suspense would kill me in seconds x_x.