Author Topic: Why didn't John want to know about River's condition? [spoiler]  (Read 6856 times)

haydn_c

• Tier 1
Firstly I would like to thank the game creator for such a wonderful game, I totally enjoy playing it. I just  have one question about the story:

In one of John's memory, he was with River at the doctor's when River was diagnosed with pervasive developmental disorder. The doctor gave River a book about her condition and recommended John to read that too. But John didn't want to read it, saying that he would rather not, and judging from one of his later memory when he asked Isabelle about River's strange behavior, he didn't have any idea about people with that condition, hence he really didn't read that book.

This seems very strange to me, because John clearly cared for River deeply, why didn't he try to understand her condition? Do you have any idea?

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Why didn't John want to know about River's condition? [spoiler]
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 12:47:24 PM »
My guess: He was afraid that the detailed knowledge about her condition would alter his image of River. I think he easily can accept that River is different (he wanted someone "different" to start with), and also that she suffers from the Asperger syndrome, but I do not think he wants to know more than that.

That is just my guess, however.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 01:06:29 PM »
^I agree. The more you know the bigger is the change.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Kaleb702

• Tier 2
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 01:08:47 PM »
I was thinking more because he thinks that he might have it himself. I could think of a few things why he might, but I'd rather not have to go through the game again right now. :P

snorkel

• Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 03:58:01 AM »
He liked her uniqueness.  I think he didn't like the thought that her behaviour was normal for someone with aspergers, that would take away from her uniqueness.

I'm not sure whether understanding her condition more would have helped him understand her obsessive rabbit making though.  Isabelle didn't know why she was doing it, and he didn't have the memories to understand.

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 10:04:29 AM »
I thought it was because he didn't want his view on her to change by reading it, or the way he acts with her. Sometimes you can know too much.

I also noticed an artist stand and paintings around it when he was old, I guess he got into painting after all.

saDD3ath

• Tier 1
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 01:49:32 PM »
Because I Think He More Cared About She Had Not The Thing She Was.(I Got It From The Speech That Nicolai And John Had At The Dinner In School)

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 11:52:33 AM »
I want to agree more with TPO than the whole when he was a teenager he wanted to be with someone different and so that must be his main reason for liking her throughout his whole life theory, he was a teenager, teens act like that a lot doesn't mean that sticks with them for their whole life.
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Volcanon

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »
Yeah, like the others said, I think he didn't want to know about it. He didn't want to understand the condition or put a label on it (which is why I believe, in his memories, the condition is never given a name). To him, River was unique; the only person like her in the world.
"A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the s*** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come." - Det. Lester Freamon (The Wire)