Author Topic: Favorite Board Games  (Read 21014 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Favorite Board Games
« on: July 13, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »
List off your favorite board games or tabletop games! Say why you like it, maybe some good memories, and please, for Nahitus' sake, don't say Monopoly's your favorite. That's a sure sign you haven't played enough games. :p

One of my favorites is Carcassonne. It's a German game about constructing the French town of Carcassonne. Players take turns placing a piece that builds the board, then setting a follower onto that piece to try to own constructs (cities, roads, monasteries, and fields). When a construct is complete, the player who owns it gets their follower back (a finite resource) and points based on the size of the construct.

I've probably played the game over 150 times, and have taught so many people how to play that I made my speech class presentation a giant How To Play of Carcassonne. I probably play it twice a week if I can find people who are willing--which isn't hard, because the game's easy to learn but still really engaging. Try it out if you haven't. :)

Looking forward to hearing about some awesome games from you folks.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:49:15 PM by Merlandese »

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Favorite Board Games
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »
My favourite's gotta be monopoly.  ;D

Nahh, the one I've enjoyed the most is called Cranium. It mixes general knowledge with skill and makes me happy. :vikonsmile:

I tend to think a board game's only as good as the company you play it with. :vikonsmile:

Spoiler: show

~

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 06:35:33 PM »
I've just played it (Carcassonne) two days ago (and a couple of years ago). It's an awesome game, I agree. :)

I used to love Monopoly, but that was long ago. Nowadays I don't enjoy it that much anymore. I'm sure there are a couple of other awesome board games I don't remember now. The Settlers of Catan are pretty awesome (I like the card game better, though).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:05:52 PM by Squall »

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:21:57 PM »
Carcassonne is my favorite board game as well. Not a single game is identical.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:05:38 PM »
It's not actually a boardgame, but the game Dominion is fun. You start out with cards representing 3 gold and two points, and you have to buy cards that are worth money, points, extra cards, extra buys, etc, and when a certain number of card types is gone, the player with the most points wins. It's really fun to see the different card combinations you can get to buy some really expensive things.

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 08:00:29 PM »
There are some excellent card games, whether they are specialized or with ordinary playing cards, sometimes simple things like that by far excel digital games. I wish I knew of more.

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 11:39:49 AM »
I have to say Monopoly Life.
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »
There are some excellent card games, whether they are specialized or with ordinary playing cards, sometimes simple things like that by far excel digital games. I wish I knew of more.

I'm sure if you have any hobby stores they sell nerdy/strategy card/board games. Heck, the Barnes and Noble by me sells Dominion AND it's expansion packs!

Judedeath

• Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 02:44:22 PM »

I'm sure if you have any hobby stores they sell nerdy/strategy card/board games. Heck, the Barnes and Noble by me sells Dominion AND it's expansion packs!

The problem with these games is that they're reliant on you having friends.

Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 03:04:31 PM »
Or multiple personalities you can switch on command. :)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »
Oh, Jude, you have friends. Dude, if I was local, I'd destroy you in board games in the friendliest way imaginable. :)

I go to my local coffee shop and play Carcassonne. I started playing with just one guy who was already my friend, but then he had to start working more. I've played with at least a dozen people now--some quite regularly--and I swear, the only reason I know them is because they looked at us playing Carcassonne and I said "dude (or dudette), you want to play? It's super easy to learn." Sometimes they say "sure" and others I have to convince them a little more, but now I have plenty of people to play with and I don't know half of their names. :)

It's kind of like playing an online game, where you join groups and servers and whatnot with people who are complete strangers who want to have fun playing a game with other strangers. Take that concept, place it in real life, and that's how I game. :) I literally play board games with strangers more than I do friends. Which is why games are so brilliant, digital or not. :)

Keep giving game suggestions, guys! XD

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 04:38:54 PM »
Dude, that's pretty awesome, Merlan! :D

And Jude, Merlan is right. I would totally play board games with you all the time if we were local! THIS IS WHY WE NEED A GIANT FREEBIRD MEET-UP! :'(

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 07:34:08 AM »
Malifaux :P

But I'm up for any rpg-ish desktop game. I like desktop games :)
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Judedeath

• Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »
Is ticket to ride any good?

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 06:06:18 PM »
It looks pretty fun, but I haven't tried it yet.

Here's Wil Wheaton playing it.

Ticket to Ride: Wil Wheaton, Colin Ferguson, Anne Wheaton, and Amy Dallen. TableTop ep. 4