Poll

How well would we cope if there was a power cut worldwide and there was no way of restoring it for a long time (lets say 2 months or more)

We would cope fine
1 (5.6%)
We could always work around it
2 (11.1%)
The cities would struggle but people in the country would be better off
0 (0%)
The cities would have a very hard time (and maybe some chaos) and people in the country would work together (but still have a hard time)
8 (44.4%)
Everything would fall into disarray, and many would perish
7 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Dependancy on electricity  (Read 4092 times)

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
Dependancy on electricity
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:35:04 AM »
Its because I feel we have become over-reliant on electricity, as well as many other things (Oil, Gas etc) and we don't have any backup plans if any of these things just ran out (Atleast I haven't heard of any at this time of writing). With all this weather changing from global warming (supposedly) we will have to adapt and there is always a bigger chance electricity will be knocked out by giant thunder storms and the like. We should come up with a backup plan in case these vital resources are unable to be supplied from crazy weather and such.

Feel free to post your own thoughts here, as it would interesting hearing everyones view :kardiansmile:
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Dependancy on electricity
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 08:51:38 AM »
I'm almost 100% dependent on electricity. I figure most developed societies are. :seraismile: I see it as both an amazing fact and an alarming one. Without electricity we could survive, but the quality of life would be lowered dramatically. :o It would be a big change, but we could survive without it.

I don't see the sudden loss of electricity as a big concern. I just can't see a reason for it to happen. :vikonsmile: Climate change is progressing, but we're progressing faster.

Spoiler: show

~

atommo

• Tier 7
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 08:57:35 AM »
I agree with you, but while climate change may not be an immediate threat, I'm also thinking of other things like solar flares and so on. I mean imagine what sort of an impact a massive solar flare would cause on todays society :o
I don't want to be pessimistic, but its much better people know the risks before things happen. Anyway, I'm guessing some people already have some sort of backup plans, but it's be a nicer idea to make them bigger (like maybe your own electricity generator (One for every house)) As that way if something drastic does happen, the impact wouldn't be as bad.

Sebbern

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:58:05 AM »
Well, the humans has survived fine without electricity in the past, so I see no reason how it would affect us in a way other than the fact that the quality of life would be lowered. (As stated by Tumbles)

Also, to continue on another statement by Tumbles: Earth's climate has always been changing. It's been like this for millions, if not even billions of years. Though, I can't really say much more about it because I lack the proper knowledge.

EDIT: I also believe that there might be some sort of chaos in the beginning because of the lack of information. Some might get desperate and start to rob others, etc. But I doubt anything disastrous would happen.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:00:07 AM by Sebbern »

atommo

• Tier 7
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:02:53 AM »
I know we've survived without electricity in the past, but its just that so much runs on electricity these days, I mean banks need electricity for you to access your account, cash registers need electricity to open and so on :-\

Sebbern

• Tier 2
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »
Yeah, that's true. A lot of people would most likely get kind of desperate for their money and such then. I don't know what would happen really, I can't really say "we'll have to wait and see" either. Mostly because 1: we won't be able to discuss what happened because we would lack computers and 2: it might never happen while we are alive.

(Also, your signature is pretty neat. ; )

atommo

• Tier 7
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 09:20:18 AM »
Why thankyou ^_^ I found that signature off of another forum I used to be on lots... Anyway can't really say much more as its :DOT:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:29:09 AM by atommo »

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 10:42:16 AM »
Just making sure you know: while registers do commonly run on electricity, it's not impossible to get into them without electricity. You just need the key (or you need to break it open, but I doubt people running businesses would want to go for that option).

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »
The world as we know it  doesn't work without electricity, if every bit of electricty would vanish (maybe because physics would change for no reason, so that you couldn'e even drive car), there would be a really great amount of victims.
Mankind would survive though.
If it's only the network, there would still be some chaos and victims, but far less.
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 12:53:58 PM »
I'd probably die out of depression. No more music :'(
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 07:19:06 PM »
I'd probably die out of depression. No more music :'(

There's always acoustic guitar. XD

I'd probably die from lack of Freebirdia. :o

Spoiler: show

~

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 07:41:14 PM »
Yeah but I meant more like listening to music than actually playing it. That and I suck at acoustic guitar hahaha, but I would have a good excuse to get good at it, I suppose :P
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

atommo

• Tier 7
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 05:46:38 AM »
Don't forget that if the mains electricity goes out, it doesn't mean everything running on electricity would be useless. There are batteries so small things like mp3s, torches and stuff could be powered.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 11:07:30 AM »
Yup, that's why I have divided my answer into two parts.
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 01:25:22 PM »
Are we taking about running out of fuel and therefore no more electrical energy can be created by most power stations leading to widespread loss of electricity to most areas, or something like an exceptionally large solar wave from the sun obliterating all electronic devices similar to an electromagnetic pulse??

Both would be equally catastrophic in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:28:38 PM by The-PurpleOrange »