Author Topic: Fleuret Blanc.  (Read 34053 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Fleuret Blanc.
« on: June 18, 2012, 12:58:39 AM »
FLEURET BLANC. (V2.4) DOWNLOAD: Fleuret Blanc.

Fleuret Blanc - Trailer on Vimeo

For more information, visit www.fleuretblanc.com.

BACKGROUND

23-year-old Florentine Blanc is a college graduate who's dedicated her life to travel. Without having a career to fall back on, she takes up menial jobs whenever her pockets become empty. After a few months of saving, she quits and charges off on her next big adventure.

After a brief hike in lower Asia, Florentine found herself back in France where she immediately stalked the internet for jobs. On a whim she applied to FOIL, a private fencing organization looking for members interested in a "new breed" of the sport. They promise performance-based wages with free room and board. Although she hadn't donned her whites since her late teens, she crossed her fingers and had her parents ship over her white rapier.

The rules? Members of FOIL must bring their most prized possession in the world. This object acts as a trophy, winnable by other members of the group. After seven days of bouts, the judges decide who she replaces as the new member. But what happens to members who leave? And why are their possessions such an integral aspect of FOIL's structure? As her experience in the isolated Château de l'Hiver becomes more menacing, Florentine determines to investigate what evolves into an mysterious and ugly truth.

PREMISE AND THEME

Fleuret Blanc is a simple and short game primarily about the importance of objects in our life. Though the storyline follows Florentine as she unravels the mysteries of FOIL and its judges, she's constantly challenged with ideas of possession, collection, and obsession. The game rewards Florentine--who starts as a minimalist traveler--with points based not only on how much she interacts with her fellow members, but also on how much money she makes and how many items she's hoarded in her room. Though collecting is encouraged for a better score, the overall implications of the act can be bittersweet.

SYSTEMS
Spoiler: show

TIME
Time flows across seven days. Each day is broken up into morning, afternoon, and evening. Within those three sections, the player may explore, bout, gossip, and go through their notes however they like. However, Events take up Free Time. There are only three "segments" of Free Time within each section of the day, so use them wisely. Once three events have been seen, all other events will disappear until the player forces time to progress.

BOUTS
Fencing against other members is mandatory in the evenings (Trophy Bouts), but optional during the rest of the day. Unlike typical "battles", the winner is based on how stylishly they performed, even if their health went down first. Winners either take control of their opponent's Prized Possession, or regain their own.

Florentine gets paid based on her performance as well: the style points she accrues during bouts correlate directly to her income. This means that the player makes money not by winning, but by doing their job as a fencer.

There is no experience or leveling, and each member follows the same exact rules of combat as the player. A move's success is based both on predicting the opponent's attacks (based on current bout conditions) and successfully completing timing or button-pressing indicators that appear on the screen. Each opponent has their own set of special techniques that separates them from the others. With enough money, the player may persuade someone to teach them these techniques.

BEDROOM

Florentine's "home base" is her bedroom where she stores the trophies of other members. She also may find or purchase other nic-nacs to hoard, transforming her simple sleeping quarters into a carnival of colors. Changing techniques and saving in the journal are just a few of things that can be done here.

CONCLUSIONS

Witnessing events (mandatory or not) may bring up "interesting" ideas that Florentine will take note of in her electronic journal. These Points of Interest all pile toward conclusions that she has yet to make. Filling in the prerequisite for conclusions can lead to bonus events that open up the story and have an effect on the ending.

GOSSIP

Collecting the best information may require gossiping. A select few members are as moral-less as Florentine and will engage in gossip about the last person, place, or thing that the player has come in contact with. (For example, if you click on a plant and then gossip with Roland, he'll give you his two cents about the local shrubbery).

CREDITS

DESIGN AND STORY AND ALL THAT
Lannie "Merlandese" Neely III

VOICES (VSFX)
Sarai "Raya" White
Kan "Reives" Gao
Mark Ryan "Cettoto" Anderson
Sabrina Valenzuela

MUSIC
Michael "Garoad" Kelly

SCRIPTS AND SCRIPT HELP
Ccoa (Universal Message System)
ForeverZer0 (Advanced Title Screen)
gerrtunk (Text to Image)
Sarkilas
Fantasist and Blizzard (Save System)

TESTERS AND FEEDBACK
Vasha
dlan
Blink
Cettoto
The Tumbleweed
Unnamed
Blood Angel Evengelion

OTHER RESOURCES
SoundJay.com
Sound Bible
Mike Koenig
mich2d
DaveGould
Slanesh
dobroide

INSTRUCTION MANUAL
Josh "The Tumbleweed" Tredinnick

SPECIAL THANKS
Ruben Grest
Eszter Verhás
Josh "The Tumbleweed" Tredinnick
All Relationships of the Past and Future, Good and Bad

Download Errors (Troubleshooting)
PROBLEM: A message like "Script 'Text as Images' line 250:RGSSError occured. failed to create bitmap" appears

SOLUTION: For some reason, some computers don't have Cambria, Times New Roman, and Constantia fonts, but these fonts are necessary for the game. If you get that warning, chances are you are missing at least one of these. Not having them can stop the game or make it so no text is visible.

To install a font, follow these steps:
01. Click Start, and then click Run.
02. Type the following command, and then click OK:
           %windir%\fonts
03. On the File menu, click Install New Font.
04. In the Drives box, click the drive that contains the font that you want to add.

Note: The floppy disk drive is typically drive A or drive B. The CD drive is typically drive D.

05. In the Folders box, click the folder that contains the font that you want to add, and then click OK.
06. In the List of fonts box, click the font that you want to add. To select more than one font at a time, press and hold the CTRL key while you select each font.
07. Click to select the Copy Fonts To Fonts Folder check box. The new font is saved in the Windows\Fonts folder.
08. Click OK.

(Taken from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314960)

PROBLEM: RGSS-RTP Standard not found

SOLUTION: The RTP is in this link. On the page that this link takes you to, there is a tab labeled "For RPG MAKER XP". Click that tab and scroll to the bottom. The link to the installation is the big button, and the process is outlined in three simple steps.

PROBLEM: RGSS Player has stopped working

SOLUTION: Restart your computer, then try it again.

PROBLEM: That didn't help

SOLUTION: It may be a DEP (Data Execution Prevention) issues with Windows. Follow these steps:

1. Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

2. Click Advanced System Settings. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Under Performance, click Settings.

4. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.

4. now browse to your game that is not working because of  RGSS error msg and closing without solution. For example mine was aveyond.exe

PLAYERS' GUIDES

Spoiler: Event Guide • show

Spoiler: POI Guide • show

Spoiler: Bio. Guide • show
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:30:45 PM by Merlandese »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
Re: Fleuret Blanc.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 01:00:05 AM »
I finished it up, everybirdy. Feel free to play it. :)

I can't thank you all enough for putting up with the long development process. I <3 you all! :)

Be sure to watch the video Tumbles made. He's a great video editor to have in your corner.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 01:41:56 AM »
Yay! It's finally in the completed games section! XD

We're all super proud of you for making it this far. It's been awesome to help out along the way.  :seraismile:

Congrats! And to everyone reading this: I can't recommend this game enough. It's awesome! It's also free! There's nothing to lose!! XD

~

xkazumix3

• Tier 3
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 02:03:43 AM »
I can't download it.  :'(

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 02:11:03 AM »
Ah, my bad. It'll work now, or straight from the site. :)

xkazumix3

• Tier 3
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 03:04:22 AM »
Thanks!! :)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 03:10:23 AM »
No, thank you. :)

If you can squeeze it in, I hope you enjoy playing. :)

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 03:51:36 PM »
Oh my goodness, I love the trailer! Nice job, Tumbles!

Hmm... I think my brother was bored. -wanders off to see if he wants to play-

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 09:29:09 AM »
Double post!

You're supposed to click on the Fleueret Blanc picture to download, right? Cuz when I do, I get this site: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13694360/Fleuret%20Blanc.%20V2.4.rarFleuret%20Blanc.%5B/url (Oh, looking at the url, I think you just messed up the coding for the picture-link.) Also, I think you messed up the coding for the picture-link to your bandcamp, too, cuz I can see the coding, AND The picture.

EDIT: Mmkay, I took the '[url' off of the end of that link, and it's still not working for me :/

EDIT2: Okay, I just went to your site manually. I'm not sure where your siggy links (it didn't completely load for me. So many link errors!), but it should probably link to your site. Or at least here. I'm not sure if you've changed it from the old topic to this topic or not.
Spoiler: Errors? • show
Wait a minute, didn't you say we get extra free time in New Game+? Cuz I've still only got three... Whatever.

EDIT3: Okay, so... once again, I didn't talk to Roland before I bouted him, and he still said we met before. Also, I lost to Roland (oh, the shame! D:), and Grams still said I won and I had to give back his trophy :P

FINALEDIT: -Hmm... that secret room passcode is really borthering me :/
-Okay, didn't you also say that New Game+ lets us get to the safes immediately? Unless the attic elevator doesn't count as a safe, that doesn't work either. So far the only thing New Game+y is that I still have my old conclusoins. And the text :D
-ALSO! Didn't you say that I should be able to bout with anybody? Or was that just Kant?
-Was my safe combo always "Lan"? If so, you are one prideful game creator ;)
-So... if I have conclusion A that I still need to get, but it requires conclusion B... and I got conclusion B on the last playthrough, do I need to get it again?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:41:52 AM by Vasha »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 02:50:13 PM »
Wait a minute, didn't you say we get extra free time in New Game+? Cuz I've still only got three... Whatever.

Oh, I see how that could be confusing! What I meant was that two mandatory events that normally took up your Free Time aren't available in New Member Plus, thus giving you two extra Free Time throughout the entire game. :p

EDIT3: Okay, so... once again, I didn't talk to Roland before I bouted him, and he still said we met before. Also, I lost to Roland (oh, the shame! D:), and Grams still said I won and I had to give back his trophy :P

That first one is on purpose. In New Member Plus, all of your initial meetings carry over (so everyone skips straight to business). That means not very many people will greet you, though some will. Just take it as it is. :p

Also, all of your trophies come with you--so that means Roland's as well. That probably needs to be straightened out a bit, but it means that when you lose that first bout, you should be forced to give back a trophy you (mysteriously) already have. Hmmm... I'll look at it.

-Okay, didn't you also say that New Game+ lets us get to the safes immediately? Unless the attic elevator doesn't count as a safe, that doesn't work either. So far the only thing New Game+y is that I still have my old conclusoins. And the text :D
-ALSO! Didn't you say that I should be able to bout with anybody? Or was that just Kant?

Yes, but the safes for rooms don't require conclusions. The attic and vending machine do. So they are safes, but Flore hasn't "figured them out" yet.

And I only said you could bout Kant. :p Although, you'll have to tell me if the game hiccups when you win/lose a trophy bout even though you already have the opponent's trophy. It was designed for them to already have it, but I didn't think to test that because I was rushing a little in the end. *Facepalms*

-Was my safe combo always "Lan"? If so, you are one prideful game creator ;)
-So... if I have conclusion A that I still need to get, but it requires conclusion B... and I got conclusion B on the last playthrough, do I need to get it again?[/spoiler]

Your safe code depends on the choices at the beginning of the game. :) A lot of tiny factors do, though you probably never noticed. For example, the meal Grams serves during the Wednesday luncheon will be different this time around because of your choices, and so will everyone's reactions to it.

And yes, you still need to get the confrontation again to unlock the next (which only happens twice if you don't include the mandatory confrontation). But, id you have, say, the confrontation with Nickel, you don't need to worry about confronting him again. On the seventh day, the game will play out as if you had done so.

In other words, skip events that you don't need so you can get confrontations you didn't last time and the confrontations will keep stacking at the endgame.

And thanks for the heads-up about the links. I always make mistakes on those. :p I missed an end bracket and it transformed the next, like, five things! XD
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:53:24 PM by Merlandese »

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 07:57:26 PM »
Reading that really made it clear how much work went in. Hot damn! :o

~

xkazumix3

• Tier 3
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 09:47:16 PM »
Ack, Help! X_X Everytime I get into the game I get this error

Script 'Text as Images' line 250:RGSSError occured. failed to create bitmap

Seems like it's just me getting this error though.  ???

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 09:52:03 PM »
Where in the game does it happen?

Does it only happen in one spot, or do several spots do this?

Has it prevented you from going further in the game, or is it just a nuisance?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:05:37 PM by Merlandese »

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 10:05:31 PM »
Mmkay, cool. But, yeah, that "2 more free time" thing you said was really confusing... I don't think anybody here understood that. Or maybe it's just me. :P

And I've bouted Kant and Amara (oh, wait, I forgot, I couldn't bout against her yet), and it worked fine. Can't promise how far through I'll get again, though... on the second playthrough it's more interesting to see other people play than to play for yourself -wants someone to show this game to!-

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 10:51:29 PM »
Mmkay, cool. But, yeah, that "2 more free time" thing you said was really confusing... I don't think anybody here understood that. Or maybe it's just me. :P

Haha! No, I think it was everyone. I was wondering why everyone got so excited by the two extra Free Time. I was like, "sure, that's cool and all, but it's only two more events slots on top of, like, fifty-two."

But now I get it. :p

Reading that really made it clear how much work went in. Hot damn! :o

Thanks, I think. :p Yeah, there aren't a whole lot of big 'n' super worthwhile changes, but enough to make every playthrough a little different for each person. Here are some of the differences based on those first few questions:

-Your room safe code
-The code to the judges' hall
-Who has Junior's trophy before the Friday Trophy Bout (can be seen in their room)
-Which member is chosen to replace the Saturday member in the Trophy Bout (although it never comes to that)
-Which placard gets read in Nickel's room (other than Ana's)
-What meal Grams makes for the luncheon
-Which member is easiest to get Member Association from
-Some other small conversation tidbits

Things that didn't make it, but were intended:
-Which placard gets read between Ruben and Eszter
-Which member is hardest to bout (unusable because of how the bouts are balanced)
-Which day Florentine gets fatigued the fastest