Author Topic: Artistic Vision  (Read 2501 times)

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Artistic Vision
« on: June 01, 2012, 04:38:38 PM »
Ok, so I was talking with Lannie earlier and we got to talking about if the player of a game knows what's better for the game than the dev and where does that line fall, so I'm going to bring this up here as I feel it's a good talk to have with everyone not just the two of us.

So the question is, just how much input should the player have in the game?
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
Re: Artistic Vision
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 05:55:36 PM »
The developer of a game may have a blind eye for some things, because he got the vision of the story and so on in his head. So he may unconsciously add missing things while playtesting the game and could miss parts of the story that remain unclear/not understandable for the player.

Overall feedback is very important, but you will never be able to satisfy everyone.
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 06:02:16 PM »
The issue raised in your first paragraph, T-bird, I think is canceled by good planning, note-making and -taking, and good developing overall. I think it could be argued that a truly good developer wouldn't have such a massive problem as that implies.

Not that I'm arguing myself. But that issue as far as story and all of that seems like it wouldn't be such an oversight if the developer had just written it down beforehand and planned better.

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »
Yeah, the thing that really comes to mind when I hear of this is the Mass Effect 3 ending thing, when that got big everyone was like OMG the ending ruins the game and all that, and Kotaku was all like all you people hating on the ending are stupid it's their artistic vision for the game and you aren't allowed to criticize it. And there's also the Bioware guy saying people can't criticize games unless they've made a game.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:07:33 PM by Judedeath »
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 06:11:08 PM »
That does really seem unfair. I think they did a couple of things "wrong," but it wasn't so much the ending itself as it was the un-fulfill-able expectation a popular trilogy creates.

I think their vision shouldn't have been compromised by the players. Hmmm...

To the Moon suffers from this on occasion. I think maybe you have to appeal to the right people, but not everybody. So, like, if I wanted To the Moon to end with Johnny happily being an astronaut, and some players thought the ending sucked because he never reached the moon and that makes him a bad astronaut, I'd listen to those players, because their idea of a good ending coincides with my artistic vision.

... Maybe.

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:23:19 PM »
First of all, if the creator is really convinced of an idea or a vision, he should make what he think is right. Great games come from great visionaries. But as far as minor aspects are concerned, there might still be plenty of room for change change for the better, maybe.

If I want to tell a story, I want to tell this story, not a story that makes the reader happy. Sure, it would be great if the story I want to tell makes the reader happy (or evokes other kinds of strong feelings). But once someone tries to make what the people apparently want to have, it might end up as something flat, bland and insincere. Like many pieces of commercial work today that once started as something with a soul.

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 06:17:57 AM »
I think its good for the developer to have player feedback (for missing things and so on) but it should be up to the developer for the story, as if the dev tries to change the story to satisfy everyone the dev wouldn't be as interested in it so the overall product would probably end up being worse as it would lack as much creativity/inspiration. (maybe not in all cases but probably most)
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true