Author Topic: Freebird Book Club: The Bookbirds  (Read 13553 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Freebird Book Club: The Bookbirds
« on: May 11, 2012, 11:45:47 PM »
CURRENTLY READING: Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman?
AUTHOR: Eleanor Updale
READ BY: August, 2012

We're just testing the water with this, but feel free to join.

This is Freebird's own book club, where we get together, pick a book, and read it over the course of a month or so. Then we get together again and discuss the book either here in the thread or over Skype.

The books are of no specific flavor or genre, but they should be "light" or somewhat easy to read. We're all busy people. Young Adult genre is a good size, and even certain short stories or novellas will work.

If you want to follow along and read/discuss books with the group, that's greatly encouraged. However, books can only be suggested by members willing to join and committed to reading the books.

CURRENT BOOKBIRDS:

Blink
Blood Angel Evengelion
Judedeath
Lance Stone
меlа
Merlandese
Moony
Stardale
The-PurpleOrange
Tier 3 Strangler
Tumbles

Each of us can pick a book and post persuasive information about it in the thread. Then, after all of us post our suggestions, we vote for which book we'd like to read that isn't ours.

RULES:

#1 Don't talk about Book Club
#2 No books you've read
#3 Keep them short
#4 No Sequels or Spin-offs Pre-Quels are ok
#5 No More Dead Dogs

I'll edit this first post to always show what we're currently reading and when we should try to finish it. The "rules" aren't set in stone so we can all work together to make it work the best. :)

Book List Document

--If you want to suggest a book, fill in the Book Name and Author(s) section, as well as who you are (Who Suggested It).
--If you see a book on the list that you are happy to read as a group, write "yes" beneath your name.
--If you see a book on the list and don't care whether we read it or not, leave the space beneath your name blank.
--If you see a book on the list you don't want to read for whatever reason, write "no" beneath your name.
--If you see a book you've already read, write that you've read it in the Status section, so we don't read it as a group.
--The Status of the book also shows whether we are reading it, have read it, or if it's ineligible (such as having been read by someone else).

I made a list of the ineligible books for easier reference, in case the table becomes too cluttered.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wrjPzmpXO_godeYFl-hb76TFg93SQZcTPIBeOV8-k5k/edit

Feel free to edit if ever~
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 04:29:37 AM by Merlandese »

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Freebird Book Club
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 11:57:52 PM »
Sounds good! Except that last rule. :)

I was gonna suggest a book, but now I've forgotten what it's called. :( Anyway, I'm looking forward to doing some reading.  :seraismile:

Spoiler: show

~

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:03:48 AM »
Well then I shall make the first suggestion.

I've been watching John Green's educational programs on YouTube for awhile, and somehow I just recently found out he wrote young adult novels. This one caught my interest.

Here's a quick review from an Amazon user name Alexandra (although I wish her name was Katherine):

From third grade through his senior year of high school, Colin Singleton, child prodigy, has dated nineteen girls. All of them have been named Katherine (anagrammed in the rake; ie, her tank), and all of them have dumped him. Not for the same reasons, and not in the same way. Katherine XVIII dumped him in an email, for example. And K-19 dumped him immediately after graduation.

Now, faced with a Katherine-less summer, Colin and his best friend, Hassan, decide to take a road trip. They are short-stopped in Gutshot, Tennessee, home to Archduke Franz Ferdinand's grave, with a job offer. Since there are no Katherines in sight, only Lindseys and Katrinas, the two boys settle in for the summer to interview textile workers, and, in Colin's case, come up with a mathematical formula for predicting the end result of a romantic relationship -- his Eureka moment.

Layered with fun and funky characters, anagrams, formulas, flashbacks, and footnotes, this complex yet easy-to-read novel is not only compelling, but one of the smartest novels I've read in a long time.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 12:42:51 AM »
Dude, John Green is totally crazy. (Is he the singer, too, or is that the author vlogbrother?)

Also, I can't committ to this cuz I don't know how much time I'll have (life is messy right now), but I definitely might (pfft :P) check up on some of these suggestions.

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 12:58:05 AM »
Well my suggestion is that since the 2013 YRCA nominees are out lets pick one of them.
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 01:00:12 AM »
That novel looks very interesting. :) I can't help but be reminded of Catherine though. I'm sure it's very different.  :P

~

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 01:01:56 AM »
Well my suggestion is that since the 2013 YRCA nominees are out lets pick one of them.

Link us to the list, sir.

That novel looks very interesting. :) I can't help but be reminded of Catherine though. I'm sure it's very different.  :P

Admittedly one of the primary reasons I read the synopsis. I came for the Catherine and stayed for the anagrams.

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 02:43:47 AM »

I'll try to commit myself to this book club, though I hope I'm not busy.

Hmm...My first few encounters with adult novels are with Ayn Rand, Paulo Coelho, Nicholas Sparks, etc. I found their novels trite and a tad bit cloying. These have become my first impression with adult/"serious" novels and I kind of had that impression for years.

On the other hand, the first few YA books I read are of JK Rowling, Rick Riordan, Suzanne Collins which are fun and have no pretensions. If these novels had themes, they are well-cloaked and doesn't overpower the story. You can easily ignore them if you want to. I read to be entertained so naturally I went for these kind of novels.

Though lately, I've been hearing of things against YA; I don't understand the stigma against YA. Many of the classics could have been labeled a YA novel by the publishers had they been written today. It's just marketing. Some people might be reading the book just thinking about what rating they should give instead of taking a closer look at the stuff that are worth thinking about. Discussions should not be about who's leading it or who liked it and who didn't; it should be about the book. Let's take note of this when we discuss the book, please. No bashing on personal tastes of books, too.

P.S. My cousin has that book! :D I just have to let her finish first before I get the opportunity to read it. We could also have a theme/genre/category of the month, too~
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 02:45:18 AM by Stardale »

Kracken Kitty

• Tier 7
  • Sleepy Insomniac
    • Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 03:29:41 AM »
I'm in. Need to read more books. And you guys read a lot more than me I bet. >_< I know one book that's really good, but wanna read the one Mer suggested first so we can go one by one with booksies.
Check out my art stuff! :D http://niorichi-art.tumblr.com/

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 05:11:22 AM »
Just found out my local bookstore has it for relatively cheap. :) I'm happy to do that book if everyone else is interested.  :seraismile:

~

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 05:13:45 AM »
What would you call an easy read, is this set at a specific amount of pages?? Most of the books I read or have read are over an inch wide and come in a series. Alternatively there are longer ones that aren't in a series.

Mela

• 憂鬱
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 07:55:11 AM »
That book Merlan suggested sounds interesting. I could buy it for a good price on ebay, but I'll also try to find it one of our countless libraries. :3

This. xD

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
Just looked at the YRCA 2013 nominee list and guess who's on it? John Green, the author of An Abundance of Katherines. His book in this round of nominees is called Will Grayson, Will Grayson. So who knows; maybe if we like this book, we can come around to another one of his later.

It seems almost everyone can and/or is willing to read An Abundance of Katherines. If that's the case, search your local libraries and make sure. I just picked it up from mine. Jude never said what he thought about it, so I'd like to hear if he's fine with it before we move on. :) Although it's likely to become majority rules if the group gets bigger, I'd prefer to keep doing unanimous choices.

What would you call an easy read, is this set at a specific amount of pages?? Most of the books I read or have read are over an inch wide and come in a series. Alternatively there are longer ones that aren't in a series.

Though reader pacing is different per reader, I think any book that takes eight or more hours to read is getting too big for the group. Six hours is pushing it, maybe. I'm sure everyone can find fours hours in a month to read a book, so we should probably try to guestimate books around 2-6 hours in length.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 02:40:44 PM by Merlandese »

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 03:41:24 PM »
Willing to read Katherines first, Jude? *Bats lashes seductively*