Author Topic: A question about the rucksack.  (Read 4994 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: A question about the rucksack.
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 03:55:11 PM »
Hence, the star gazing scene cannot be removed from his memory because then he would never gain the urge to go to the moon, I presume the rucksack is an anomaly caused by the machine.

I think the rucksack is and is not an anomaly. I believe that the re-implementation of pieces of his memories are necessary and quite normal (as far as the technology is concerned), but I don't think that the doctors are fully aware of this. I say that because it's this exact re-implementation that allows River to reappear later in Johnny's new life. The fact that Eva hoped River would reappear, but didn't know for sure, meant that the doctors aren't completely informed about how new memories are organized.

I hypothesize that objects and people with more emotional weight are given more exposure when new memories are formed, which would be why the flowers, the song, River, the rucksack, and countless other things were forced into his new life even though they weren't necessary for his end goal.

It shows that even if you change a person's memories, what is important sticks--which is key to the game, because his desire to go to the moon "stuck" even though his memories of stargazing were blocked away. It's good writing, really, because the rucksack follows the same rules of "stickiness" as Johnny's inner desire, and is--in the scheme of TtM's universe--perfectly aligned.

Also it lends to the moral ambiguity of the technology, because what good is it to change a person's memories if the important things are always going to stick around?

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 05:24:29 PM »
Ok, maybe I've got this wrong but the way I've always understood it was that the branch in the lives was after Johnny met River and what happened was after they met and made their promise River moved away and Joey didn't die, so then Johnny had the reason to go to the moon.
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 07:45:15 PM »
^ +1

Spoiler: show

~

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 10:50:38 PM »
^ +2

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 06:26:06 PM »
^ +3

I'm pretty sure that is the actual plot :P

Coreto

• Tier 2
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 05:11:30 AM »
I have even a better solution... and that is... the backpack that appears throughout the whole game and also appears in NASA at the end is a different thing than the sack John gives to River at the fair. First of all it looks different - the backpack is somewhat blue in color while the sack at fair is brown and has different shape, also if you noticed he used the backpack to go in school. And well at the fair it was a prize win, so the items inside were important (platypus and ball), there is no reason for the seller at fair to put those prize items into a backpack (that would be too expensive), he would just give them into a simple sack.

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 10:33:40 AM »
I always thought it was a simple sack too
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16