Author Topic: Writing Tips  (Read 20230 times)

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Writing Tips
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2012, 11:36:23 PM »
Besides, nothing's 100% original anyway. Having inspiration is extremely important, and if people notice the similarities, that just means it worked.  :seraismile:

Spoiler: show

~

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 11:01:41 AM »
 Everything has been inspired by something else. Being entirely original would mean creating a new genre and writing style, and even then the plot might not be completely original.

I know, I've heard it before. I just thought I'd double up on the joke. To be honest, I thought we were going to form a cycling running gag. XD

It took me so long to get that.

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 12:09:44 PM »
I guess it's just a matter of letting it go when it comes to that, huh? :P

BTW, I never meant that the stuff I read (that had similarities) served as my inspiration. It was something I've read/played when I'm not writing, that just happened to be rather (too) similar. Just clearing it up. :)

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »
I've had that feeling before, too, but nobody can blame you for being similar to something if you weren't even aware of the thing you were similar to.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 05:36:10 PM »
I've had that feeling before, too, but nobody can blame you for being similar to something if you weren't even aware of the thing you were similar to.

But they will probably blame you anyway if they're jerks.

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2012, 06:11:15 PM »

A Dutch DT teacher I had once can.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 11:47:33 PM »

But they will probably blame you anyway if they're jerks.

Yeah, I was thinking that while I wrote that. People CAN blame you, but they SHOULDN'T blame you.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 12:22:42 AM »
Should we move this to the new, nifty "Tricks of the Trade" board?

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 12:56:33 AM »
Sounds like a good idea! I'd make a thread there myself if I knew how to do anything. XD

~

Avarlie

• Tier 6
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 07:45:38 AM »
@Tumbles- how bout tips for making a game trailer.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2012, 09:23:38 AM »
Haha, maybe! I've only done one, and I kinda improvised it, so I'm not a pro just yet!

~

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2012, 09:10:23 PM »
You guys are so full of win did you know that? I'm stealing reading all the cool things posted on these forums and learning so much ^^ I'm feeling motivated to actually do something for a change haha
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »
I have a friend who's working on a series of books that have a central thematic element in number form: the number 12.

But he has a lot of elements. It's a fantasy world that progresses into a sci-fi world, or vice versa. It has dwarves, zombies, vampires, magic crystals, a malformed Earth, and tons off tie-ins to existing mythologies. It's a handful!

I thought maybe his book would have twelve chapters, but he was like, nope. Then I thought maybe he'd have three books each with four parts. Bigger. Twelve books?

No, three sets of twelve books.

Elves. Elemental plains. Yggdrasil. Blood spells. Computer chips in heads. Australia. Terra-forming. Gods and demons.

Look, this is a lot. Any one of these things can be expanded to make a delicious book by itself. These ideas are excellent in books, but if you add too many, they all bundle together and lose substance. Your theme becomes "High Fantasy World" and usually "Good Versus Evil." Very basic, very bland. Unless that's what you like. I mean, Harry Potter did exactly this and sold millions. So did Narnia.

But I suggest toning it down. Don't think of a new, awesome idea and figure out a way to shove it into your world. Instead, think of a few key themes and work with those continuously. When a new idea comes along, ask yourself if it will help your book thematically. Because anyone can make a fantasy world--it requires tossing in a bunch of known elements and mythologies. It's harder, however, to make that world mean something. At least that's my opinion.

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2012, 05:03:03 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree with that, I'm writing a story and noticed that if I write it chronologically i just make things happen, but they just happen. Its like everything leads to another thing and so on and then I look back and nothing really happened other than a chain of events. So I decided that for this story I set my mind to the core themes in it, and especially worked about what I want the story to lead up to, so I have an ending "prototype". I have a few concepts that I want the game to revolve around, and then I'm gonna write a story that explores these, without making it a convoluted mess XD

Hopefully it'll work out. I guess it goes like the saying "do more with less". The question is if less will eventually become too little. I hope not XD
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2012, 08:49:19 PM »
The problem I'm having right now is I'm not sure if my characters are too flat, or I'm just too hard in myself. It seems to me that a lot of my characters have one event in their life that really defined them, and then every part of their character stems from that, but that's just not realistic!