Author Topic: Infinite Blank: A game where players draw the world.  (Read 4364 times)

Cellulose

• Tier 2
Infinite Blank: A game where players draw the world.
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:28:25 AM »
Hello!

Kan gave me his blessing to "recruit" here.  (It's freeware; a beloved experiment.)

I'm making a little game called Infinite Blank where everyone who plays can add to the world using simple drawing tools.  It's about creating things, exploring spaces, and finding human contact in the vast and colorful emptiness that results.

Things like this happen:

You also create your own character:

Sad circumstances have made me unable to host a central server, producing a happy outcome:  players now host and administrate worlds with the publicly-available server software.

The game:
http://infiniteblank.com

A video:
This is Infinite Blank

(I may or may not have fallen into a ridiculous slump after this video)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:55:45 AM by Cellulose »

Aile Lune

• 黒い猫
  • Team Français
  • Tier 4
  • Current Mood: alright alright
Re: Infinite Blank: A game where players draw the world.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 07:17:39 AM »
It looks really interesting! :) A friend of mine searched for a free, crossplatform MMO for us to play. I’ll definitely show Infinite Blank to him.

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:02:20 AM »
I've got a question: will it ever get to the stage that the world will be so big the servers will crash..? Apart from that it looks really cool :D
Also for a recommended improvement you could add the option to animate people's characters (add joints and can specify the way they move when travelling in a certian direction)
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true

Cellulose

• Tier 2
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 04:16:16 PM »
I plan to add frame-by-frame animation in the future.  Bones are a possibility but I'm not sure they'd be that much easier to work with.  Visually simple characters read better ingame due to their small size.  (Though due to a bug they're a bit TOO small right now)

As far as crashing, it's less of a concern now that it isn't just one central server.  Servers should be safe for (I imagine) 20-100 people before they get to lagging, and if they should crash... well, there will be others that remain online.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 08:47:54 PM »
Wasn't there a Nintendo DS game kind of like this?

Cellulose

• Tier 2
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:57:56 AM »
To my knowledge Infinite Blank is the only game doing quite what it does.  However, as fixated as I am on my own tinkerings, the world can get past me now and then.

Still, I don't think Nintendo's generally comfortable exposing themselves to the liabilities a game like this one poses.  ;)

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 05:44:48 PM »
Well, I didn't look too in detail at either game, but I think there's a game called "Drawn to Life" or something that uses drawing game mechanics, too.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 06:17:33 PM »
I think it's an interesting idea, but it lacks the interactivity with the world to keep it interesting (sure it's an early stage of the project and you should care about the performance issues first).

Also trolls could very well ruin a world with scribbling a lot of **** in there.
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.