Author Topic: (Spoilers) To the Moon Review/Rambling  (Read 3316 times)

Zombieva

(Spoilers) To the Moon Review/Rambling
« on: January 05, 2012, 12:33:55 AM »
Most recently developed video games involve mindless shooting, gore, and Player A screaming countless expletives at Player B before snapping their keyboard, crushing their mouse, and cracking their computer's screen in anger. Thankfully, we have those select few needles in the haystack to even this out a bit. One of those needles is To the Moon.

No offense to said players, though. They're hilarious.

That aside, there aren't many games out there with decent stories nowadays – either that, or I'm just not finding them. I ended up spoiling the first half of To the Moon for myself when a Youtube user I'm subscribed to began a Let's Play of the game (ChaoticMonki; you already know him), but then I noticed that its plot was just amazing to the nth degree.

It kind of played out like this:

“DEAR LORD, IT HAS A STORY. I NEED TO BUY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW.”

So I did, and I was immediately blown away. Some of the aspects of the story and character development are just  astounding – for example, the repeating notes in 'For River' drawing attention to River's obsessive and repetitive habits, which I actually failed to notice until it was pointed out in a review of the game. Damn clever, that was.

I also enjoyed the banter between the two doctors. Apparently, it broke the otherwise tragic atmosphere for some players, and quite a few actually found their conversations annoying, but I personally think it balanced the game out. If it weren't for the comedic touches, To the Moon might have been too dramatic, or even too serious.

Somehow, in the four and a half hours it took to play through the game, I found myself completely attached to every character. I pitied River and John, though I often felt like slapping the latter of the two upside the head, and when I began reading theories other players had towards the game and realized the possibility that Neil could be seriously ill, I began to dread future episodes because the topic could be touched upon, or could actually turn out to be true. So good job on that, too, Reives. Please don't kill Neil.

Unlike a lot of people out there, I didn't mind the ending and I actually thought it to be much more realistic than the ending quite a few seemed to want – one where John realized what he had forgotten and lived a better life with River. I watched it and thought, “Wow, that was fucking satisfying...”

You know where that's going, though.

The only real problems I found with To the Moon are the awkward (only sometimes) controls. Other than that, it's beyond great, and I personally give it a nine out of ten. I'm no master review writer, though, so I'm not quite sure if it matters all that much.

By the way, Reives, if you read this – have you any idea when the mini episode will be released? I've been looking forward to it since I first read that it was going to be made, so I figured I'd ask if I could have another.

Cheers~
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:50:06 AM by Zombieva »

Logo98

Re: (Spoilers) To the Moon Review/Rambling
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 03:59:32 AM »

Unlike a lot of people out there, I didn't mind the ending and I actually thought it to be much more realistic than the ending quite a few seemed to want – one where John realized what he had forgotten and lived a better life with River. I watched it and thought, “Wow, that was fucking satisfying...”

Cheers~

Touche'