Author Topic: Voices For characters and thank you :D ( Slight spoilers )  (Read 2868 times)

jokezstar

• Tier 2
Voices For characters and thank you :D ( Slight spoilers )
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:16:42 AM »
Hello!

After finishing your game last night with my girlfriend and spending the entire journey home trying to figure out if we are all in watts's mind or not I thought i would sign up and say thank you for the amazing experience and assure you that anything else you have to offer will be consumed by me no matter the price tag :)

I was wondering if anyone else played it as we did? We both do a bit of acting and tend to role play and mess about in character a lot ( not in a flithy way mind you :P ) So this game was made even better for us because there was no voice acting so we could do it our selves! We spent ages trying to get the characters right and for watts and eva we came up with something awesome!

I dont know if they have voices behind them but we found that setting Watts in a light hearted but heavy irish accent really suited his quick wit and humour but also meant towards the end at the deeper parts he could sound very angry and be taken seriously when needed which wouldnt of been the case with a completley comical voice, we tried a few and we thought this just fitted perfectly for him! What made this even better was that for eva we had a low deep slow russian accent, as she tends to be coming out with a lot more intelectual deep thoughts it helped slow the pace down from Watts ramblings, and made her " Oh cucumbers" lines brilliant. Together it made a really nice almost harmony and they really worked off eachother.

I would love to know what people think of this and if people had there own voices in mind and what the dev team think of this.

Thank you again and ill see you on the moon :D

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
Re: Voices For characters and thank you :D ( Slight spoilers )
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 06:46:15 AM »
Would love to hear your impersonation of them. :V

kikikai

• Tier 5
  • *staaaaaaaaaaaaaaares*
  • Current Mood: doubtful doubtful
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 06:49:15 AM »
I'm really bad at imagining with accents, so I wonder if we can hear them instead?  :vikonsmile:

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 06:52:18 AM »
Mmmm... I wouldn't mind Watts with Irish accent but Eva doesn't fit with Russian one IMHO.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

jokezstar

• Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:55:19 AM »
haha i guess we could do a little recording of a scene :P post it on youtube or something :) i was just really curious as to how others imagined these charactors :D

jokezstar

• Tier 2
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:57:32 AM »
Mmmm... I wouldn't mind Watts with Irish accent but Eva doesn't fit with Russian one IMHO.

I wasn't so sure but i think that on certain scenes like where she is trying to convince watts that removing river is the right thing to do, the slow calm low pace of it really brings down his mental shoutings and ramblings and gives her a sense of power over him.

Its slightly annoying how strong each of these accents are because it does create a bit of a strange scene at times but i really do think it worked,

What kind of voice did you imagine her having? If you did, or what could you imagine :)

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
^I'm not good at identifying English accents (Czech a West Slavic language is my primary) but as far as I know what is presented in English speaking media as Russian accent is something that doesn't goes well with Eva. I agree that she is a serious character but I more imagine that something like BBC English or General American suits her... Like a teacher always chooses the right words
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 09:12:16 AM »
Yeah, my knowledge of Russian accents doesn't go much further than generic FPS guards. I died once in the GoldenEye remake, because I was trying to sneak past a guard, but I just lost it when he said in a heavy accent, "I hyeard summsink." XD

Anyway, I can imagine Neil sounding pretty cool with a subtle Irish brogue. :seraismile:

Spoiler: show

~

jokezstar

• Tier 2
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 10:31:34 AM »
hahahahaha XD Loving the russian references,

think less 007 guard and more 007 girl, except a bit classier and less seductive at times :P

a discussion about a voice no one has heard in heinsight seems a little strange, i may quickly voice one of the scenes with neil and try to convince my girlfriend to let me record her eva haha but may not get very far on that.

i do quite like her as an english teacher but due to how gripping the story and these charactors are, after plaything the whole thing with her speaking in a soft russian accent, she will forever remain that woman to me haha, unless some sort of audio book of it comes out :) hint hint hinty hint hint