Author Topic: Thoughts/Wishlist for Episode 2  (Read 124058 times)

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Thoughts/Wishlist for Episode 2
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2012, 01:33:16 PM »
Jude, this is what you should've said:

Spoiler: show

Kan 6ao's To The Moon

And this is what you should've said, Ferdk:
7o 7he Moon

ftfy
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Phoebe

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
7() 7|-|3 /\/\00|\|?

/shot for not conforming to the counting... and for using leet

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »
7() 7|-|3 /\/\00|\|?

/shot for not conforming to the counting... and for using leet

OMG, it's Phoebe. I remember you!  :o

~

Phoebe

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2012, 01:45:47 PM »
... A wild Phoebe appeared (and will probably disappear for another month in 2.5 seconds)?

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2012, 07:16:28 PM »
 :'(

~

lizardj5

• Tier 1
« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2012, 09:50:22 PM »
I would love to see some more old school gaming references, there always something I liked to read while playing episode 1.

goformickey

• Tier 2
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2012, 10:35:20 AM »
I thought the length was great, games like these are almost always best in one sitting, or max 2-3. When they get too long I myself find I lose interest, or don't get the time to finish it and feel I can't just continue. 4 hours is sublime.

I also thought the humor and references were great, obscure enough that the player finds them to be clever and not obnoxious but not too obscure so the aver player of this kind of game gets pretty much all of them. Don't take the positive feed back from all of us on these too strongly and over do it though. Sequels are always hard to make great because all of the positives of the first are taken and put into it and it just feels lame, manufactured and over-done. Stay true!

I'd probably want the story telling to change in some way, I feel playing a sequel that is just collecting 5 memory orbs and breaking a barrier again would get dry now we know all the ins and outs of it and it's not surprising and we feel less unsure of what could happen. Even if a cheap 'patched the software' back story is needed to change it a little.

I know these sound like orders, but they're just suggestions, they just ended up worded like that. Thanks heaps for To the Moon, it was so damn enjoyable, im still smiling and crying a little.

Minhnie.Mouse

• Tier 2
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2012, 01:35:25 AM »
Kan, in episode 2, I'd hope for new amazing music like in episode 1 and a good touching story. Nothing surpasses a good story. I really don't care about gameplay and graphics, just music and good touching story! :hug:

Shish

• Tier 1
« Reply #143 on: December 25, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »
Just finished the game, now wanting more of the same, pretty much :) (By which I mean the same feelings and qualities, not "ctrl-c, ctrl-v, done" :P The idea of patching the device to change the "collect 5 orbs / flip the cards" into something similar but different seems good, for example. Having jigsaw puzzles might be too reminicent of Braid, but there are plenty of variations in that category~)

I'd guess it's too late to influence major fundamentals, so as to those I'll just say I *hope* this becomes a series of several games with Neil & Eva as the doctors all the way through - one patient's story per game, with Neil & Eva's story being equally well written but only appearing in the background (given the way things went in Ep1, especially the painkillers being brought up at the end, I'd be quite shocked if this isn't the plan already :P)

As to mechanics, I like tiny conversation branches to make re-playing more varied -- not plot branches / multiple endings, just little things - the squirrel fight being an example of where it could have been used -- I was a little disappointed to find that even after picking "defend" the game *immediately* railroads you back to the path of Eva trying an attack... (I'm assuming here that that scene is stand-alone side joke -- if it's going to turn out that Eva having a history of attacking squirrels is a major plot point in Episode 2, then not allowing the player to alter that scene at all is certainly wise :3)

Dry Ice

• Tier 3
  • I'm a kid and the world is my candy shop.
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2013, 11:58:12 PM »
So I know I'm totally late to this party and that Episode 2 is probably/hopefully well underway, but I need to get all my raving out and so please excuse me while I ramble a bit about the reasons I loved To the Moon that I hope will be retained in the sequel.

First: the absolutely sublime blending of tragedy and comedy. I love stories that can toy with your emotions so expertly that you're tossed between laughter and tears and at the end, you're left with this profound feeling, like you've just been dragged through the entire human emotional spectrum. Neil and Eva's banter worked really well with Johnny and River's drama. The humor was all the more funny because of the tragedy, and the tragedy all the more painful because of the humor. It was perfect. Please keep the screwing around and the drama together.

Second: the story was crafted in such a way that all these seemingly random plot threads/motifs/objects seamlessly weaved together into something that made so much sense when you looked back from the end. I loved watching all these innocuous little objects suddenly gain so much meaning in different contexts. Rabbits, lighthouses, pickled olives.... My favorite example is the roadkill. First it's just a silly joke at the beginning -- but wait, turns out that that silly joke is actually really important later on! And then it shows up again as a red herring of sorts, and then another plot device -- and then suddenly it takes on this whole tragic and morbid dimensions when you discover Johnny's childhood.... Brilliant, just brilliant.

Third: the simplicity of the characters' communication. I loved that you could understand so much just by seeing a little sprite facepalm, or make a "...", or even just turn their head a certain direction. I'm also a big fan of the dialogue being delivered through speech box with no voice acting. I've played the game once with my friend and once with my brother, and both times we just each took some characters and read their dialogue aloud ourselves. It was so much fun that way. I also think it maintains an interactive element that you have to read it yourself. It's a small thing, but I think I'd be less engaged if I were sitting there passively and just listening.

Fourth: I'd agree with the poster above me that I hope the sequel has more of those little conversation branches that popped up at the beginning. Those were fun. I also loved all the little breaks from normalcy -- like the squirrel fight, the whack-a-mole game, and the side-scroller-style bit when Neil was trying to get to Eva.

And finally, I'm really glad that the sequel is keeping Neil and Eva, because the two of them have such a wonderful dynamic. I feel like they're the type of characters that you could stick in any situations and just by nature of who they are, they'd make it entertaining.

Thank you so much for this game. I haven't been so inspired by something in ages.

Gogobrasil8

• Tier 3
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2013, 02:27:48 PM »
I wish that in episode 2 the story stay as good as in the first one
Lunair >> all

To the Moon - Finished
Do you remember my lullaby? - Finished
The Mirror Lied - Finished
Quintessence - Finished (Sorta, of course.)
A Bird`s Story - Finished

:plat:<- I love This Smiley

Twitter: @gogobrasil8_br

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2013, 12:33:48 PM »
It's called Headshot by Kan?

I just noticed this, oh my. :x
[redacted]

Jabob

• Tier 1
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2013, 08:35:10 PM »
Basically, I want something that will make me cry like To The moon did.

My only thing would be adding extra little bit of story that you can find by exploring. There were a number of levels that were reasonably large but most of it was empty, it would be great if there were other small things that gave you extra, non-vital information.

Sho

• Tier 2
  • I'll ask you to fly away with me
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2013, 03:01:26 PM »
I'm a bit late to the party, but I just recently 'beat' the game and thought it was great overall. I do have some (hopefully) constructive criticism to share in hopes to make it, or the next episode, an even better game:

The music was, imo, stellar and was the driving force of the game. I can't even listen to any of the songs without getting all misty eyed and I'm not ashamed to say it. ^_^ So please keep that the main focus!

The humor was a welcome surprise and really helped give contrast to the game so you weren't just constantly having your heart strings pulled to exhaustion. Please consider that balance for the next episode but I encourage the developer to include more 'mainstream' references for the non-gamers who will inevitably play your game.

The pacing of the story and revealing of key plot points was done rather successfully, but I had hoped there was some additional information for those who seek it. Not story line essential info but 'extracurricular' information for the ones who were curious about various details. Maybe further flesh-out characters with optional details that are not important to the story line as long as it didn't risk muddling the flow of the main story.

The ending wasn't obvious (thank you) and was one of the most bitter-sweet I've experienced. But I admit that the 'action sequence' near the end (with the zombies) felt out of place when juxtaposed with the rest of the game. I guess you could say it felt a bit rushed, I felt that too much was happening 'behind the scenes' to get to the ending and should have had a bit more player interaction (with the story line itself, not zombies).

The game was categorized as a 'Role-playing game', which I realize nearly every game you 'play' a 'role' in the 'game', but most gamers were expecting a bit of what was joked at (final fantasy style battles). To The Moon was more of an interactive story that, frankly, I'd love to see be made into a feature-length movie to both expose more people to this wonderful story but also raise awareness about autism and other personality effecting disorders.

The game-play was perhaps it's 'weakest link'. I understand there's only so much that can be done but I did find myself a bit frustrated in a couple points of the game. Finding some of the clues/memory-links felt a bit tedious, maybe adding a visual cue (a glow or sparkle) would help, or incorporate it into the story by adding an in-game 'scan' option that the main characters have access to (while they're in someone's thoughts) that the player can choose to use if they want to.

The 'flip puzzles' were both difficult and easy. Some were painfully obvious, others I just got lucky. An effort was made to point out the "ideal" number of moves but the puzzles lacked some sort of reset button if you messed up, and was there wasn't any obvious benefit or prize for actually figuring out the puzzles within the ideal range anyways. The 'overall' counter seemed like the only score in the game, yet it was quickly forgotten about near the end of the game. I think these puzzles should have been optional for those who aren't keen on puzzle games, which brings me to my last point...

The difficulty of the game, while subjective to everyone, seemed to be all over the map. The casual point-and-click stuff was obviously very easy, the puzzles were hard, the (only) action scene near the end of the game could be very difficult for non-gamers, etc. I would suggest to add in difficulty options, ranging from "Tell me a story..." which automates the action sequences and removes the flip puzzles (leaving only the point-and-click stuff), to some sort of a 'hardcore mode' that turns up the difficulty on the puzzles, etc. (for those who like a challenge)

The graphics may be a turn-off to some, and while those people may be somewhat shallow for judging a book by it's cover, it would be a good investment to try and improve on them a bit. Personally I enjoyed the 16-bit style but I'm also over 30 years old and grew up on SNES games. I liked how the lack of detail allowed people to, more or less, imagine what the main characters looked like so it was more to their ideals. Perhaps they even linked the likeness of the characters to people they know in their actual lives. So while better graphics would be a boon to the game overall (especially in inspiring interest & probably more sales) don't let it get in the way of other more important things, like the story & music.

Thanks for reading. =)
"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

"If you truly love someone, then the only thing you want for them is to be happy."

Loss Memories

• Tier 1
« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2013, 03:40:14 AM »
Next game theories: :deepstuff:
The game ‘A bird story’ (links to the second episode) is a way for the player to be able to see his (future patient) childhood that’s why it’s a short game and not the real game but a prelude for the second episode. But ‘To the moon’ has a lot of unexpected things that happens so what if the second episode shows the childhood (memory) was different (before attempting to grant his wish) from the ‘A bird story’, what a plot twist. XD But since Kao is such an interesting feller and freebird’s reputation is flying crazy on the internet :pewpewpew: I would say they have everything under control so if this theory stabs my heart of a future spoiler i'd become a freebird zombie fan all over again :zombieva: Either way I'd still become a zombie.... I’d say Freebird is really smart cuz you have to buy ‘To the moon’ so you can get the ‘A bird story’ for free! Smart It is already a wonderful story that brings the tears from our hearts.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:17:58 AM by Loss Memories »