Author Topic: Thoughts/Wishlist for Episode 2  (Read 127974 times)

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
Re: Thoughts/Wishlist for Episode 2
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2012, 07:22:54 PM »
F*** the police, man. Now I want that unlockable 2nd mode :P

The complains I can predict would be about those who wanted more gameplay saying "why wasn't this the main game"?
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2012, 07:26:23 PM »
Well if people are complaining about that, they're just reaching for something to complain about. :salbrow:

My only complaint is the development time it would take! :seraismile:

Spoiler: show

~

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2012, 07:29:42 PM »
I can imagine them playing the second version hoping the ending would also change. Like, imagine if this setup was in TtM. People would play the story again and hope that there was a different outcome, then be upset if the story was exactly the same. Maybe.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2012, 07:30:28 PM »
Then why not put in a little secret ending for that part? Kingdom Hearts style.

~

Ferdk

• Tier 7
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2012, 07:34:45 PM »
@Merlan

Forgot to mention, I agree it could definitely use the same amount, I thought we were talking adding a bunch more :P take my original post on the subject on that context (as if we were talking about adding a lot of stuff, not just about the same as the original game).

One thing that could be done is, instead of adding gameplay, just make the same amount be more significative. I dunno, unlock little info things or mini-trophies, stuff like that. I don't know if you guys are doing the puzzles again but if you do, consider solving them in the ideal moves have some impact in something, be it significant or not, maybe something that keeps track or gives you a score, I dunno. It seems redundant to have a flashy thing on screen telling you "great! ideal!" while you're already seeing you did it in the ideal moves, but our brain reacts to those redundant things :P
Maybe have a menu section that keeps track of your scores or something like that

EDIT: hmmm secret ending could work, maybe a joke ending ala UFO Endings on Silent Hill? ^^

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2012, 07:47:45 PM »
@Dumbles: Not to speak for Kan, but I'm pretty sure he only has one story to tell, so any secret sections would have to relate to the doctors rather than the patient. Like the "pain" scene at the end of TtM, maybe. And even then, it might feel a little too un-rewarding. I can't be sure, though.

@Ferdk: Yeah, I took it in that context.

Frankly, though, any of these good ideas might seem shoe-horned in, since the game isn't really about the mini-games. I think I like VanOrd's (?) description of the puzzles as palette cleansers between large scenes, allowing you to digest the emotions before being given a new fistful. In this way, the puzzles are perfect as simple-to-pass barriers, rather than complex ones. Additional complexity might actually replace the feelings with frustration rather than a blank taste, and that's no way to move on in a Kan Gao game. :p

This in mind, if a player plays through the Gameplay mode and feels any frustration at the "advanced" puzzles, they may leave the game with this second, less desirable taste in their mouth. And I don't like that idea.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2012, 07:52:32 PM »
Ok, then scrap the gameplay idea. :seraismile: It's not broken, so don't fix it.

~

Ferdk

• Tier 7
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2012, 08:00:56 PM »
Indeed. I'm all for keeping it simple too :P

r3kan

• Tier 3
  • Allergic to adorableness
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2012, 11:33:42 PM »
i dont know about the secret troll endings. id rather have things subtly hinted to me than hidden like easter eggs. if i find one single easter egg, id go paraniod and walk around corners of the map pointlessly just to see if i miss anything. anyone else does that?

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2012, 11:17:58 PM »
WHAT SECRET TROLL ENDINGS I WANT TO KNOW

AdmiralJonB

• Tier 1
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2012, 10:37:42 AM »
I just played through To The Moon and wanted to say what a brilliant job you all did on it.

I wanted to put my vote in for keeping the gameplay similar to how it already is. At least for the first act. It has it's problems, like the pathfinding, but overall I think it should stay with this sort of pattern.

My reasoning comes from that at the end of the day, you're creating an interactive form of entertainment. When you create a film/movie, you need to focus on Show rather than Tell. The amount of information that we perceive from being shown is far greater than what can be read or heard. When it comes to a computer game, you need to focus on making the player Do rather than Show. This is a lot more powerful method that can't be done in any other forms of media.

Considering that the story for John had already been made by the point the doctors come in, you're quite limited in what you can do if you want to keep John the focus of the story. If you add more game elements, you risk making people forget the story of John.

I think that removing the game elements completely would be a bad idea. I believe the interactivity drew me in and made me feel like I was part of the experience. I felt like I was alongside the doctors in their experience. As people have said before, the puzzles before each time jump helped give myself a time to process the story up to that point.

However, after saying all that, I think there are some things that can be improved upon in another iteration. This would mainly be adding in easter eggs. I don't mean adding different endings: at the end of the day, the game is there to tell a story. In fact, I would've more likely not held To the Moon in such high regards if you did have multiple endings.

What I mean is little portions around to give more depth to the player if they go out and seek them. One example is the pills. I felt rewarded as a player by noticing they were dropped on the floor and that I found something out. It didn't affect the overall story, but I found out something that added to the experience. If you had pieces like that in the memories, you could add more memories without needlessly making the game more complex or long winded.

If there were multiple paths you could go down through the memories, I think it would just make things too complex. As a completionist, the one thing I hate is thinking if I missed a portion or worrying whether I take one path I'll miss content that is on a branch. Adding the easter eggs would be a way to add more things while making people like me not go crazy by wondering if there are more paths to take. It would make it easier to see all the content rather than having multiple paths. I think this kind of story is much better off being an 'interactive story' rather than a 'choose your own adventure' book.

Well, those are my thoughts on the game. I don't want to go into making suggestions for the story, as I think you've probably got a great writer there that can come up with another one without help. That, and hopefully you've already put a lot of thought into this already ;)

NeilFan

• Tier 3
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2012, 07:01:45 PM »
To tell you the truth... I kind of want some romance between Eva and Neil... I think they'd be one cute couple! :) <3

And also... Now, this next part I don't nessecarily (sp?) want to happen in Ep. 2. Maybe the last episode. And this does NOT MEAN THAT I HaTE NEIL!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( In fact he's my favorite character! I just have an odd way of showing my affection...

....... I want Neil to die............

I jus think that it'd play for some excellent drama and emotion and a fitting end to the series.... That's all....

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2012, 07:13:03 PM »
To tell you the truth... I kind of want some romance between Eva and Neil... I think they'd be one cute couple! :) <3

Two things I absolutely do not want:

01. I do not want this to be a dream of Eva or Neil's in any fashion.

02. I do not want them to follow the prototypical route of joining in a relationship just because their body parts fit together and they're in the same room.

NeilFan

• Tier 3
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2012, 09:22:09 AM »

Two things I absolutely do not want:

01. I do not want this to be a dream of Eva or Neil's in any fashion.

02. I do not want them to follow the prototypical route of joining in a relationship just because their body parts fit together and they're in the same room.

Don't worry. I don't want them to be a typical lovey-dovey, mushy-gushy couple either. I do want some development betweent the two.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2012, 04:12:17 PM »
I wouldn't mind it if Eva and Neil needed to insert themselves into giant mechs to plunge into the thoughts of the dying. Any chance you're thinking about altering the methods of the Sigmund machine, 'cause I gots ideas...