Author Topic: Just finished the game  (Read 6856 times)

Steelheart

• Tier 1
Just finished the game
« on: December 27, 2011, 05:32:09 AM »
I had to create an account just to post this.

My eyes are still sore from all the sudden discharge of fluids, but I think I can write this post. To put it short, I want to thank the folks at Freebird for providing us with such an amazing experience as To the Moon is.

Games rarely elicit an emotional reaction from me, and it is even more uncommon that sappy stuff triggers it for me. I think To the Moon was believable enough in it's execution that it got through my steel heart (har har) and hit right where it (emotionally) hurts.

So, a tip of the hat to you and I can only hope you continue creating such beautiful games.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Just finished the game
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 05:29:42 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, Steel. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. :)

ORylai

• Tier 1
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:30:58 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly, absolutely fantastic.

AlienMind

• Tier 2
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 01:06:59 PM »
You've proven that if it's (wo)men who make games they want to play themselves, they make a better game than a 250+ people industry.
Thank you for creating this wonderful game.
Let's commend this piece of art to our friends and thus helping getting the financial support it deserves.

Wulfsten

• Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 11:33:03 PM »
I've also just finished the game, and it's left me with a stranger mix of emotions than I've felt in some time because of a game.

I thought the first 90% of the game was absolutely phenomenal, one of the very best stories and relationships that have ever been dedicated to the video game format. I was blown away by the subtlety of the structure and the way that the visuals and soundtrack interacted with the themes of the narrative.

That said, I was sorely disappointed by the ending. In fact, I almost felt betrayed. I don't want to bore or insult people by going for a fanfictiony speculation on what the ending should have been like, but I genuinely don't understand how the same person who created such a fantastic love story could have cheapened it with that kind of ending.

The idea that Dr. Rosalene's solution of obliterating the touching, heart-wrenching and beautiful life River and John led together in favour of what seemed to me to be a teenage fantasy of meeting a cute girl at NASA and going to the moon together seems outlandish to me. The fact that all the characters (especially Dr. Watts, who I feel got it right when he initially objected to Eva's plan) seem to conclude that this is the best possible ending also boggles my mind.

I worry that this implies that the game's creator doesn't see very much value, dignity or beauty in the difficult but loyal love between River and John that is so painstakingly constructed throughout most of the game. To see the obliteration of the memories of that life in favour of that hollow space story seems like a massively tragic finale, motivated in part by Eva's desire to fulfil the terms of the contract. Instead, it's played with very little ambiguity as a Happy Ending.

I just don't understand.

I don't for an instant regret buying and playing the game, it was one of the most thought-provoking and affecting games I've ever played. But I can't help leaving the game with a bitter taste in my mouth.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:21:56 AM »
Heya Wulf. Though I don't actually disagree with what you are trying to say, I'll try to provide some quick points from the other side. The context of the event that you interpreted seems to be skewed, though; not that's necessarily your fault, but it could be where a lot of this stemming from.

But first, just to confirm something:

If, let's say, that little revelation at Johnny's childhood in regards to River was never made, you'd still believe that it would be wrong to push the button, right? I mean, Johnny and River still had that life together; and it was still a meaningful life, just like any other lives.

SenorKaffee

• Bean there, done that.
  • Tier 4
  • Schnabeltier
    • kollisionsabfrage - bricks of videogame culture
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 04:06:03 AM »
Objection!

Eva's plan was the "whiff of death" of the story arc. For a short time she was the antagonist, overstepping all moral boundaries for fullfilling a contract that became meaningsless by what the doctors found out about Johnny's past with River.

Later we learn that Eva only took a huge risk by hoping Johnny's brain would make River show up at NASA, filling his hollow life of training for the moon mission with love again. Don't forget that the story doesn't end there - we still see the both of them growing old together, keeping Anya company in their dream home on the cliff.

That part also made me a little proud of Johnny, because we see that deep inside of him he thinks of River as a very strong woman. Making it to NASA on her own, holding his hands and giving him confort when the simulation starts to glitch -  saying "everything's alright" without words.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 05:24:47 AM »
... filling his hollow life of training for the moon mission with love again. Don't forget that the story doesn't end there - we still see the both of them growing old together, keeping Anya company in their dream home on the cliff.

... we see that deep inside of him he thinks of River as a very strong woman. Making it to NASA on her own, holding his hands and giving him confort when the simulation starts to glitch -  saying "everything's alright" without words.

Right. And this impression of River lasted beyond the memories, so it wouldn't be fair to assume that the memory "transplant" was a complete obliteration of his emotional journey with River. And moreover, as Kaffee pointed out, we still see the both of them growing older together. There's no betrayal to the man when he gets to grow old with his first and only love over two lifetimes, even if he can only recall the second one.

Plus, free pony rides in spaaaaace!

felipepepe

• Tier 2
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 03:00:30 PM »
If, let's say, that little revelation at Johnny's childhood in regards to River was never made, you'd still believe that it would be wrong to push the button, right? I mean, Johnny and River still had that life together; and it was still a meaningful life, just like any other lives.
If that revelation was never made, most of the story and River's suffering would have made no sense. That's the point, the key to their hapiness is a metaphorical "go to the moon", if Johnny can just remeber that momment, he would be in perfect harmony with River, and never again feel like there is something wrong between then.

But instead, all that is erased and they just literally go to the Moon. Their new life may be meaningful, but I, as a player, have no emotional connection to it. As I posted on the other thread, I wanted to see River showing him the bunny and asking what he see's, and him replying 'the Moon'! Hell, I got goosebumps imagining that scene even now!

Can you understand why it bothers me so much? Their life is a beatiful & mature story that can be made even better, but its erased in favour of a fairy tail "they went to the moon and lived happily ever after...".

Hope you don't mind all the rage, just wanted to get that out. :P

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »
No worries, I can see where you're coming from so it's understandable. :p I just responded to you on the other thread -- it's probably best for me to wait for a response to that before responding here since double tangents would get messy.

AlienMind

• Tier 2
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 05:33:14 AM »
I wanted to see River showing him the bunny and asking what he see's, and him replying 'the Moon'!

I wanted him to say 'Anthromorph'. I thought maybe River found out about his brother and wanted to remember him of him, in her own Asperger's way.

kellyjam

• Tier 2
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 06:54:56 PM »
I just finished the game with my tears almost dried because of crying continuously during the game.
I think we should respect the writers and their lovely story and just thank the whole crew for this great work of ART.
by telling " I think this should have been  that or that could have been  this" we just hurt the pure emotional experience of the game and the precious work of the team.

Notice that if they didn't start to create such an amazing game and story you wouldn't have experienced this game and therefore there was nothing for you to be considered in another way and this kind of story wouldn't be a part of your long lasting memories.

Finally I cannot  describe the greatness of the game in words
by the way my name is Jam.

Tambrelaine

• Tier 2
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 05:03:13 PM »
The idea that Dr. Rosalene's solution of obliterating the touching, heart-wrenching and beautiful life River and John led together in favour of what seemed to me to be a teenage fantasy of meeting a cute girl at NASA and going to the moon together seems outlandish to me.

While River's and John's life together had its ups and downs, when all was said and done, John was left unsatisfied (therefore, of course, the wish on the deathbed). That's sad- profoundly so. The problem, underlying everything, was that after their first meeting (which John, though no fault of his own, forgot) they never managed to truly connect again. River died before John could understand her, and before she could remind him of the first moment they met, probably the most important and happiest in her life.

What Dr. Rosalene replaced it with was NOT a fantasy of meeting a cute girl at NASA. As Kaffee pointed out, they lived out life together afterwards in much the same manner as they lived their real life. it was an alternate version of John's and her life together where, instead of meeting in high school (for reasons you can't possibly romanticize- John was being a bit of a scumbag) they met at NASA.

The difference in this alternate relationship is that John and River managed to not only meet, but connect, in the way that they failed to in real life. Rather than forgetting about the promise until he kinda-sorta half-remembers it on his deathbed, in this reality, John actually becomes an astronaut. NASA itself and meeting a girl there wasn't the point- it was that going to NASA and seeing River there demonstrated that Johnny, if not completely remembering his promise, was certainly closer to the truth of it than he was in life (and therefore hopefully closer to River, fake or otherwise).

From the beginning we knew that the doctors were going to change John's memories, but Eva managed to also connect his later memories to that meeting in his childhood, which was of course the key loss that lead to him being unable to understand his wife later. Even though life in his new set of memories was fake, John did get a chance to finally understand his wife. That's about the best thing the scientists could have done under the circumstances.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I realize this post is dragging up an old thread, but I couldn't resist.

forge

• Tier 1
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 11:18:59 AM »
Всем привет.Буквально пару минут назад прошёл эту замечательную игру,даже лучше сказать не прошёл,а прочувствовал её.Большая благодарность и низкий поклон от меня авторам за необычный,трогательный,интересный сюжет, и композиторам за красивую и живую музыку.
По большей части я не играл а смотрел,как фильм.Который заставил ещё раз задуматься о разных и важных вещах,иногда философического происхождения,а порой и приземлённого.Я в очередной раз убедился в том, что отличную игру могут  сделать и  без большого бюджета с современной графикой. Достаточно вложить душу в проект и оживить его.Ещё раз, спасибо!!