Author Topic: My Random Review  (Read 2020 times)

kreyg

• Tier 2
My Random Review
« on: December 23, 2011, 04:49:53 AM »
I can't believe it has been a month and a half since I played To The Moon.

I have been thinking of writing a review, or at least a few cryptic random thoughts on the game.  It has been One Of Those Months though, and somehow I have been putting this off for longer than I thought.

This is one of those games that has just "stuck with me" for a long time.  This game really meant something to me.  While playing the demo, I was suddenly floored when I realized the nature of River's condition, as Autism/Asperger's has touched my life in ways not so dissimilar to those in the game (not exactly of course - there's a saying in the Autism community that goes, "If you've met one person with Autism, you've met one person with Autism" - every case is very different).

After finishing the game the first time, I immediately had to play it through again from the beginning, because there was much about it that I didn't quite grasp.  What exactly did John do to River that everyone seemed to think was so bad?  What's with the paper rabbits?  What exactly happened here?  Oh, that's the part I missed while I was crying like a little baby.

You see, I am John.  And I'm not.  It's complicated.

As a game developer, I was quite intrigued by this game.  I hesitate slightly to call it a game, but it's not a movie and it's not a book, it's an interactive narrative or something like that, so "game" will suffice.  I am very interested in telling stories in games, and this was an eye opener for me.  The pacing of the story works very well because of the limited interactivity and low difficulty.  I think my exact thought was, I couldn't have made this game, because I would have tried to stuff more "game" into it, and that probably would have broken it.

I have followed things going on with the game on the forums, YouTube and Facebook, and I am so glad to see it get some of the recognition it deserves.

My only other thoughts are to thank Kan for getting my game key straightened out for me (mostly my fault - who knew Google had a hidden "spam" folder?) and to wonder what he was doing awake at 4:00am EST to help me out.  :-)

Oh, and technically speaking, the shuttle is/was not capable of going to the moon, but I'll let that slide this time.  :-)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: My Random Review
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 03:12:07 PM »
Oh, that's the part I missed while I was crying like a little baby.

I missed that part too... *sniffle*

I think my exact thought was, I couldn't have made this game, because I would have tried to stuff more "game" into it, and that probably would have broken it.

I felt the same exact way. I think the story should be wonderful and profound like Kan's capable of making, but even if I had that storytelling knack, I'd have crammed in a lot of interactive junk that probably would have diluted it to the point of "nothing special." It would've been fun, maybe, but not as touching.

Oh, and technically speaking, the shuttle is/was not capable of going to the moon, but I'll let that slide this time.  :-)

I chalk that up to Johnny's inherent unfamiliarity with space. The guy didn't really care about the moon, so his mind was probably pretty empty concerning space flight. That's how I justify it, at least. :p

Nice to see you on here, Kreyg! XD