Author Topic: Re: SOPA  (Read 8167 times)

Unimaginative Username

Re: Re: SOPA
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 06:51:23 PM »
I'm sorry!  :o Lock me up forever and throw away the key.

I'm afraid that isn't secure enough; I will melt the key down and sell the metal to a scrap merchant so there is no risk of someone finding the key and aiding your escape. I would also be able to buy a drink with the raised funds.

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Re: SOPA
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 09:29:52 PM »
IRON MAN 3 LEAK, FILIPINO GANGNAM STYLE & CYBER CRIME

Damn it, government! (story is at like, 22 seconds)

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2012, 05:28:41 PM »
Did any of you know about the Cybersecurity Act of 2012?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/not-cispa-revised-senate-cybersecurity-bill-praised-by-civil-liberty-advocates/
http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/senate-votes-against-cybersecurity-act-of-2012/

It's gotten shot down, but I hadn't even heard anything about it until right now when I'm researching to do a paper on internet legislation. All of these laws are making me dizzy! D:

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: SOPA
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 05:36:18 PM »
Fun Fact, in Canada PIPA is Personal Information Privacy Act
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Alterus

• Tier 2
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 07:05:31 AM »
I am not sure what is the actual situation now in the Western world. They say you can have problems with pirated software or other content on your PC. As I hope to get a scholarship to study in Europe, this actually scares me >_> I do not legally own anything from what I have now on my computer - movies, music, programs - except for like ~2% of my music.

Here, nobody cares. At all. The government tried to block a free-download site (ex.ua), where you can get almost any content for free (and with cracks for programs/games). Popular protests and hacking attacks on the law-enforcement sites made them stop, and Ex is now working again. /methinks this is cool.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 08:41:06 AM »
I am not sure what is the actual situation now in the Western world. They say you can have problems with pirated software or other content on your PC. As I hope to get a scholarship to study in Europe, this actually scares me >_> I do not legally own anything from what I have now on my computer - movies, music, programs - except for like ~2% of my music.

Here, nobody cares. At all. The government tried to block a free-download site (ex.ua), where you can get almost any content for free (and with cracks for programs/games). Popular protests and hacking attacks on the law-enforcement sites made them stop, and Ex is now working again. /methinks this is cool.

In Germany you could have problems, if you share files online with a lot of people (like p2p filesharing). But a lot of people still have tons of illegal stuff, that shouldn't be a problem. In my opinion not everything of this should be illegal. But unless you are broke, you should support at least something of the stuff you really enjoy imo. There is also some stupid crap like Gema blocking a lot of youtube videos (seriously, 9 out of 10 from the most clicked videos 2012 on youtube were blocked. Maybe they want us to learn how to use proxys?) 
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Alterus

• Tier 2
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 10:32:55 AM »
But unless you are broke, you should support at least something of the stuff you really enjoy imo.

Here is the problem: it is problematic here to obtain a credit card with an option to transfer money abroad. Requires hours of sitting in the queue and filling some paper stuff. Plus, Paypal is also not too widespread here, and many electronic content shops do not allow Ukrainians to buy the content (e.g. we only had iTunes Store launched LAST MONTH).

I do buy books or CDs if I really like the content after reading/listening for the first time, however.