Author Topic: Re: SOPA  (Read 8176 times)

Moogigoth

• Tier 2
Re: SOPA
« on: December 15, 2011, 06:00:35 PM »
I know I'm new and haven't really contributed much to the boards, but has anyone on here heard about the Stop Online Piracy Act? It hasn't been covered a lot on news networks but it's being touted as crippling both the internet and the first amendment.

Here's some info about it:

http://boingboing.net/2011/12/15/why-sopa-is-unconstitutional.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

http://americancensorship.org/

There are a lot of other sites about it as well.

If this is the first time you've heard about it and you're an American citizen like me I urge you to email your representatives and let them know how you feel about it. It has potentially far reaching consequences for the internet outside of the United States as well.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 06:36:27 PM »
Ya, we have a topic about it in the General Board
http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=3461.0

I've also send an email despite the fact I'm not an American citizen, as I think this is something that does matter for all of us.
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Moogigoth

• Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:45:31 AM »
Thank you for the heads up :) I didn't check. I figured it would have been on the serious topics board.

Crusism

• Tier 3
  • Life is beautiful, just look around you.
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 12:46:44 AM »
Here's the Petition:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_internet/?slideshow

SOPA and Protect IP Act must be stopped. Sign for what the Internet stands for and what it has helped with! Past, present and future.

"In life, we do things. Some, we wish we had never done and some we wish we could replay a million times. They make us who we are and, in the end, they shape and detail us. If we were to reserve them, we wouldn’t be the person we are today. So, just live. Make mistakes and have wonderful memories. But, never second guess who you are, where you’ve been and, most importantly, where you’re going."

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:08:24 AM »
I think this video tells a lot about why the current patent and copyright system is crap.
Everything is a Remix Part 3
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
Re: Re: SOPA
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 06:26:39 AM »
Guess what, everybody! Here's something that you might want to read.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57522609/facebooks-like-may-land-filipinos-in-jail/

And it's infuriating. Something like the SOPA and PIPA (a probably harsher law than those I have mentioned) was recently signed into law in the Philippines. /sigh

I'm beginning to feel everybody's sentiments on this one.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:40:37 AM by Stardale »

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 08:21:13 AM »
Well that is just ridiculous. It doesn't even seem like you could even justify the creation of a law like that.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:09:34 AM »
World is going crazy. That's what Mayans were trying to say. There will be destruction of the world. The world called Internet.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 11:33:58 AM »
Ouch! I feel sorry for you, Star!

In other news, spam is a crime now?

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 04:11:41 PM »
Surely if the world does get the internet censored then someone somewhere, if not a group of people, will set up an inter-network that is uncensored and then there will be a mass migration. I can imagine it being like Wikipedia. It starts off small but at a certain stage it really takes off with more and more people adding to the new network. It could be like a revolution of the internet, one without the interference of companies or governments and even if they tried to interfere it would be difficult since it would be more like an underground network that is anti-government.
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 03:27:17 AM »
Surely if the world does get the internet censored then someone somewhere, if not a group of people, will set up an inter-network that is uncensored and then there will be a mass migration. I can imagine it being like Wikipedia. It starts off small but at a certain stage it really takes off with more and more people adding to the new network. It could be like a revolution of the internet, one without the interference of companies or governments and even if they tried to interfere it would be difficult since it would be more like an underground network that is anti-government.

You mean possibly like a Tipping Point?
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 05:52:38 AM »
You mean possibly like a Tipping Point?
Pretty much.
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 05:56:40 AM »
It could be like a revolution of the internet, one without the interference of companies or governments and even if they tried to interfere it would be difficult since it would be more like an underground network that is anti-government.

We certainly need this, as there are some government officials who really make laws in the internet as a form of politicking.

@Vasha: Whoops, that's a dangerous semantic mistake I made. I've already edited it.

Zeriab

• Tier 2
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 08:08:39 AM »
I am sure some SOPA like legislation will be tried again.
SOPA was after all dead from the start, not because of the privacy, but because of some technical consequences like preventing DNSSEC from working properly. This made quite a few previously supporters work to prevent SOPA.

Maybe I'm pessimistic for thinking they'll try again with something that doesn't work against making the internet more robust.

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 01:26:22 PM »
I'm still wondering what happened to megaupload.com. :(